Brake buddy, NSA, Invisibrake or other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I?m on my second install of the Brakemaster and have been happy with it. Does require install/uninstall of brake pedal air cylinder but that takes about 30 seconds.

I will discuss a few systems and let you decide
Ready Brake (Also Blue Ox Auto Stop)
These are surge brakes. As the Towed tries to push the RV they apply the towed brakes, Other than initial set up fully automatic. but be sure to read the forums about them as there can be issues. (NOTE this applies to all systems).  These do not use towed vehicle battery.
Advantage: Once it is set up you should never need to adjust
Disadvantage: The cable on the car is like the parking brake cable.. It can size up and cost you a brake job if you don't check it.

System in a box in the driver's seat (Brake buddy, Even brake, Apollo)
These systems claim "NO INSTALLATION" but the truth is you install them EVERY time you tow, and remove when you drive
Advantage: If you have a "Stable" of towed cars. One system works in all.
Disadvantages: You have to install and every install is a chance to screw it up like the dealer did mine (Different system though) Or other screw up
Disadvantage: You have to store it when not towing
Disadvantage: "Oh it's only a few miles.. I'll just forget it for this CRASH Wish I'd remembered"
Disadvantage: These DO use towed vehicle battery.

INvisi brake: (or invisible brake) 100% Transparant to driver of towed. Once installed NO connections *(Save for break-away)*  Nothing to forget.. Just plug in the light connection.
This system uses towed vehicle battery but provides a means to re-charge from Tow vehicle.

US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator:  One additional electrical connection (Hard to forget)

Most control of ANY system same level of control in fact as a professional OTR semi driver has over his trailer brakes,, You can set, or disable the trailer brakes (Towed = Trailer) from the operator's seat and you can set them either automatically or manually INDEPENDENT of tow vehicle brakes.. This is the system the dealer screwed up on my Towed, cost me a brake job.
This system uses towed vehicle battery but provides a means to re-charge from Tow vehicle.

I think it' M&G  (This is an air brake system) If your tow vehicle has air brakes this installs between the brake booster and the brake master cylinder on your towed.. Again, other than the air line and the break away nothing to do when you hook up save hook up.  So hard to forget.  Uses NO battery power at all. All air powered.

My recommendations are the M&G if you can use it and have air brakes
Then all systems OTHER than the box in the driver's seat.

We have two vehicles that are set up to tow, so we have a portable auxiliary brake that we move between vehicles. It's an RVi2 and it's much more compact than the Brake Buddy portable systems, so it requires less space to store. It takes about one minute to install or remove from either vehicle, and installation is straightforward and easy - just follow the instructions. Very happy with it.

Kev

Our silly brake lights come on with the exhaust brake, so it bothers some of the brake systems.  We went with the RVi2 as well, because it doesn't care about the brake lights on the coach.  I think the new one is RVi3.

We have the Air Force One installed and are completely happy with it. 

Mile High said:
Our silly brake lights come on with the exhaust brake, so it bothers some of the brake systems.  We went with the RVi2 as well, because it doesn't care about the brake lights on the coach.  I think the new one is RVi3.

My  InvisiBrake would apply the brakes when the tail lights come on and my coach tail lights come on with the exhaust brake.  After the dealer set it up and little mountain driving it didn't take long before my toad needed a brake job.  Since I have two cars setup and we traid every few years I know have a BlueOx Patriot II and yes has to be installed every time but works for me.

We are very pleased with the Air Force 1. Hook up the hose and you're ready to  roll concerning the brakes.  Of course all the other things have to be hooked up as with any type of brakes.

Not sure there is a Ton of difference in the floor mounted/portable units, but I opted for the RVi2 also; mainly because of the super-fast response time.  When I have a "panic" stop episode (had 2 so far.....like most RVer's I believe) I want the toad brake full-on "rat now" ..... not 1/2 second (and 44 ft or more) later, and that pneumatic cylinder does just that.  It is very fast.  The RVi2 site used to have a demo of that on their web (sales pitch) site.

Like others, I have become pretty quick at hooking the RVi2 up to the Kia Soul for travel; however, the folks with the big ol' Class A's with M&G or similar systems would win that race, for sure.  :)

Safe travels......................

Our brake lights come on with the retarder as well.  I simply set the sensitivity of the sensor down a little bit.  No more problem.

We have the RVI3 and like it and support is good you have to leave a message but they return the calls, very happy with it.  3 year warranty. Also the system will expand Apps( tire minder) and the leveling system is a plus.

one WARNING

As simple as it sounds to avoid - it happens.  Once you attach the to the brake peddle and set the stroke - DO NOT push on the brake again, or the piston will ratchet forward and assume the new "relaxed" position is brakes depressed.  You will drag your brakes and destroy your tow vehicle and your pusher will never feel it. 

A fella bought a cooler from me on Craigslist and we kind of became friends.  He called and said he left Denver and got about 30 miles when someone signaled him to pull over.  He was pulling a Honda and just bought his RVi2 and installed it, but before he left he jumped in to have his wife check the brake lights on the Honda.  He pressed the brakes, she gave a thumbs up so he jumped out and locked to door and away they went.  It blew all for tires, melted the alloy wheels, melted the CV joints, etc.  I dont' know if anything different was done for the RVi3, but I found this video very helpful on mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxdePocDi5Q

^^^^^ What Brad says ^^^^^^

Also, never start your toad's engine after the RVi system is set up ...... its force is calibrated based on no vacuum in the vehicle's vacuum reservoir.

I must confess, I often read the directions on things when all else fails.  With the RVi brake ya gotta read and understand the directions fir$t.  :eek:

Safe travels.................

Back
Top Bottom