New to rving - questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SageRobert

Just purchased a 2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay.
Where do you go to have tire pressure checked and oil change?
Is there a good site I could sell a Blue OxTow Bar?

Hello SageRobert, and welcome o the RVForum. Most of us check the tire pressures ourselves. They're  easy enough to check and you'll be able to check them on the road. Stay away from the cheap tire gauges. Invest in a good one. It'll be consistently accurate and last for years.

I'd also highly recommend a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS.) They're very helpful for detecting slow and fast leaks, so you can pull over before serious damage is done. They don't help with blowouts though - nothing does.

RV service centers are good places to have your oil changed, but a lot of folks do it themselves. There's a gas station near us that would also do oil changes on our previous gas RV, but they won't on our current diesel pusher. If you have a Camping World that has maintenance bays near you, they can change the oil. That's about the extent of the maintenance I'd allow CW to perform though. 

Kev 

If you do check your tires, here's something to think about when you check the rear dual ones.  There are two slightly different versions of the dual-foot pressure gauge.  The one I got at WalMart has both dual feet at an angle, so it's really hard for me to reach the inside rear valve stem.  I found one on Amazon where the one for the inside tire is not at an angle and it works a lot better for me--the keyword to use when searching for it is "straight".  The attached photos show both air gauges and the chuck that goes on the compressor's air hose.  It took me a year to figure this out.

Attachments

• oldtiretools.JPG
    oldtiretools.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 30
  • newtiretools.JPG
    newtiretools.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 26
Changed my oil and air filter yesterday for the 1st time since I purchased my rv last year. No different then a car. But unlike car you can't roll in around here for a quicky oil change. Whole thing cost me about $70 and 30 minutes. This winter I'll be changing out the spark plugs & wires and doing other simple maintenance tasks. Last year did the oil & filter, breather filter and spark plugs in the generator. Last year I was going to take the rig to camping world. They run season specials for tune-up type items. I was going to purchase just about everything in the package until I ran the numbers and started researching in youtube. Decided I would do it myself. Most of the things I was going to purchase and be charged $30 for I found out were so simple that afterwards I would have really been upset with myself for paying for them. Example: Hot water heater service. Really all they do is clean/flush it out, which is simple enough and takes about 10 minutes. The tires I have not gotten to much into yet. I have been lazy. But I will be doing that this winter also and rechecking when spring comes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom