Domestic awning issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ken.tyminski

I have a 2011 Hitchhiker 5th wheel that came with a Domestic 17ft awning. Shortly after the awning started to delaminate. Domestic replaced it in 2013, now it is starting to delaminate again and the seam on the edge has cracks. Domestic says it is out of warranty and they will give me 20% off a replacement which is a little I've $300 after the discount. Hard to believe their products do not hold up. Also, found a company that will sell me a replacement for $256. They also suggested to go with acrylic. They are checking if the acrylic will work with my electric awning hardware. Has anyone had similar issues with Dometic.? Does anyone know if the electric rollers can have acrylic instead of vinyl?

Dometice should be embarrassed that there awning do not last more then a few years and then only offer a 20% discount on an inflated price!

I've got a Dometic awning on my '00 Bounder.  It's been on there since day one.  Aside from one little pin hole it looks and works fine.  I believe(based on the model # of the awning)mine is the acrylic fabric.

I've looked at the replacement covers available on the 'net(would like to change the color)but I don't think they're the same quality as the original.

The length of time that an awning will last is really subjective Ken. You are talking 4-5 years for this awning, but it really  depends on how much it is used, where it is used (the desert southwest is hard on awnings) and how it was cared for. There are probably better choices out there than the acrylic style that you have, just shop it around. You can often get a better quality replacement fabric from a after market company for less than the manufacturer wants to sell it to you for.

Old_Crow said:
I've got a Dometic awning on my '00 Bounder.  It's been on there since day one.  Aside from one little pin hole it looks and works fine.  I believe(based on the model # of the awning)mine is the acrylic fabric.

I've looked at the replacement covers available on the 'net(would like to change the color)but I don't think they're the same quality as the original.

Thanks for the feedback......

SargeW said:
The length of time that an awning will last is really subjective Ken. You are talking 4-5 years for this awning, but it really  depends on how much it is used, where it is used (the desert southwest is hard on awnings) and how it was cared for. There are probably better choices out there than the acrylic style that you have, just shop it around. You can often get a better quality replacement fabric from a after market company for less than the manufacturer wants to sell it to you for.

Thanks Wally, most of the time the awning is rolled up and not out. This is not our first RV, but it is the first where I will have gone thru 3 awnings in less then 7 years! This awning looks like it is 10+ years. We live in NC and typiclly use the RV 4-5 months out of the year. I do not know you, but would think if you had a delamination issue within 2 years and then agin in less then 4 and the edges of your awning had cracks you would probably find that unacceptable.

I appreciate your feedback.

Maybe a difference between the acrylic and vinyl fabrics? 
The other lady that hosted at the Grand Canyon with us this year had the vinyl awning material.  Hers was coming apart, also and looked crappy, even rolled up.
If they can get acrylic fabric for your hardware, that might be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom