rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: KOFA Camping 1/9/18  (Read 4926 times)

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
KOFA Camping 1/9/18
« on: October 22, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »
I posted this info in the Boondocking section, because that's where the topic originated, but I thought I'd also post it here in case others are interested.

We've been camping at a place called KOFA (King of Arizona) for 20+ years. It's BLM property, and we usually camp at a place off Kings road, about 45 miles north of Yuma, 30 miles south of Quartzsite. Some Forum members expressed an interest in joining us, so I told them I'd let them know when we'd next be there. We will be there for 4 or 5 days starting January 9th 2018.

The nearest place to dump, get water, supplies etc. is in Quartzsite. The temps in January can get down to freezing, but the lows are usually around 40 - the highs around 70. It's a good place to hike, explore in your vehicle and just relax.

If you enjoy that type of camping, you're welcome to join us. if you have any questions, you can post them here, or PM me and I'll get back to you. Here's a link to a short video I put together after last year's trip. It'll give you a pretty good idea of what the area is like if you're not familiar with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1OOmiy5N8

Kev
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:20:11 PM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

VallAndMo

• ---
  • Vall and Mo, a married couple getting ready for FT
Re: KOFA Camping 1/9/18
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Hello Kevin,

Amazing video, thanks for making it and sharing with us. Specially liked the explanation for the 'word' KOFA... we've read about the place before and the name puzzled us as it didn't sound neither English nor Native-american. Now everything makes sense ;-)

Sounds exactly like the type of camping we love. But unfortunately we won't be able to make it to the US this year :-\

You folks have fun and please keep the topic posted with pics & more video if possible so we can be there vicariously :-)

Cheers,
--
   Vall & Mo.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 03:27:10 PM by VallAndMo »

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 05:57:46 PM »
Sorry you can't make it Vall... was looking forward to finally meeting you. Two other couples have signed up - the first time for one of them. Maybe it'll happen next year for you.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »
I wish I could make it Kevin, I really miss the Arizona desert.  :( It is so beautiful. ;D
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
Do you go east on Kings Road? How far? Weíll be somewhere in the area in January. May track you down.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:22 AM »
Hi Wendy. Yes, we go east on Kings RD from Hwy 95. The turnoff is well marked by a place called "Stone Cabin" and there's a Border Patrol checkpoint a few hundred yards south of the turnoff.

We've gone many miles into the preserve and camped, and we've camped within half a mile of Hwy 95. Lately we've been camping about a mile east of Hwy 95, just west of where the preserve starts. It's a wide open site that can hold a lot of rigs, and it's far enough away from Hwy 95 and Kings Rd to keep road noise and dust down. Hope you can make it.

(Sorry you won't be able to make it Tom. Your cats would love it too.  :D)

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 03:40:34 AM »
As we get closer to January I will try to make it down there before the Q Forum Rally.

If I get there I will bring the golf cart so that you can take your Grandaughter for rides.  It is Solar Powered now. 
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 09:01:11 AM »
Hey Kev, we have put it on the calendar as tentative. Our grandson's birthday is 1/3, so it depends when his party is. If we can make, we will be there!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »
She still talks about your golf cart Bill. Hopefully, she'll be able to go with us. She loves camping with Gramma and Grampa.

That'd be great Marty! I really want to see your new coach. Will understand if you can't make it though. If you are able to go, we'll be pretty close to the spot we were a few years ago. I'll post some directions and Lat/Long coordinates for everyone soon.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
Sounds good. I will know better when we get some info from the DIL.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:18:41 PM »
Hey Kev, are you still on for the dessert trip? We are setting up the schedule for the next few months and want to verify that we are still on.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 08:09:39 PM »
I wanted to send out some camping details for the upcoming KOFA trip on 1/9/18.

To get to KOFA, you'll have to take Arizona Hwy 95. If you're coming from the north (I-10/Quartzsite) you'll go south on Hwy 95 for about 25 miles until you get to place called "Stone Cabin." (There are signs) There's a US Border Patrol checkpoint for northbound traffic at Stone Cabin. If you pass the checkpoint, you've gone too far. At Stone Cabin, you'll turn left (east) onto a dirt road called King's Rd. The GPS coordinates for the King's Rd turnoff are N 033.26631  W 114.23954

If you're coming from the south (I-8/Yuma) you'll go north on Hwy 95 for about 45 miles. After crossing through the Border Patrol checkpoint at Stone Cabin, you'll go about 1/8 of a mile and then turn right (east) onto Kings Rd. IMPORTANT If you're driving a big rig, the right turn onto King's Rd is not doable without crossing into the oncoming traffic lane of Hwy 95. Kings Rd exits Hwy 95 at an angle, and it's a pretty sharp turn for northbounders. There's a dirt turnoff area, however, just before you get to Kings Rd, and you can pull off into that turnoff area, drive for about about 50 yards, and it'll dump you onto Kings Rd.

King's Rd is a well maintained dirt road. We usually camp a little less than a mile down King's Rd. and that's where we're planning to camp this time. It's a campsite on the north side of King's Rd, about 200 yards off the road. The GPS coordinates for the campsite we're shooting for are N 033.25921  W 114.22830. If someone has taken that site, we'll play it by ear. As you're making your way to this, or any other, campsite, avoid rubbing up against the bushes - even the little ones. They WILL scratch your paint (trust me.)

We plan to arrive at about 2:00 PM on the 9th, and as of now, we're planning to depart the following Sunday. Once we get there, I'll fly the RV Forum flag so others know who we are. We'll be in a mostly reddish colored Winnie Tour towing a black Jeep. All are welcome. We're not a party til we puke crowd - just a group who likes to relax and take in the fresh air and scenery, and we enjoy meeting new people.

For those who haven't been following this discussion, or who have never been to KOFA, it's is a wildlife refuge on BLM land, and you can camp there for free for two weeks. It's boondocking. The closest services (fuel, water, propane, dump-station etc) are in Quartzsite, about 25 miles away, so plan accordingly. This video will give you an idea of what it's like.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1OOmiy5N8

Right now, the forecast is for mostly sunny skies and temps ranging from the mid 70s to the low 40s, but it's the desert and that can change quickly. If you enjoy boondocking, you'll enjoy KOFA. We've been camping there several times a year for more than 20 years and we really enjoy it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them here, or you can PM me. Right now, I expect about half a dozen RVers to join us. Hope to see you there.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 08:30:39 PM »
Gosh We would love to, but we go to closing on our house and moving into our rig for our full time adventure.  I love KOFA and hope you enjoy it.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »
My latest plan is that I will be there the 9th and go to Q after KOFA.

Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 12:51:54 AM »
Thanks for the info Kev, we should be there around that time.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »
Kevin, Iím in Arizona for my first winter. Iíve read quite a few of your posts about camping in KOFA and this is one of the places I planned to visit. Iím in Tucson now and have appointment on 8th for some repairs. If everything goes well Iím going to head that way. So would probably arrive Wednesday. Plan to go to Q afterwards.

Look forward to meeting you and other forum members.

Is there Verizon cell service at the camping location?
Debra
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat
http://www.debsrvtravels.com

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 01:33:20 PM »
Sorry you can't make it Bruce, but we understand. Glad everyone else will be there. Debra... I think Verizon works where we plan to camp. We've got Sprint, which barely works there, but I'm pretty sure our friends, who often camp there with us, have Verizon, and their phones work. That's one of the reasons we camp there. You get much further into the preserve and no one has coverage.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »
Thanks Kev, see you all next week
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat

GeneS

• ---
  • The journey should be as good as the destination.
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 10:44:09 AM »
Well, they say everyone has to try Q at least once.  I think this is my year. It looks like there is an escape window thru the weather here (Kansas City Area) starting on Sunday.  I would love to meet some of the members of this forum, which IMHO is the best one out there.  Question--I will have my Softtail along in the trailer.  Is this area soft sand, or hardpack enough to ride back out to the blacktop?
2016 Winnebago View 24M
2015 Heritage Softtail (in lieu of Toad)
1992 Celica GT (eventual Toad)
Home base - Faucett, MO

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 11:22:56 AM »
Defnitely hard packed. No problem riding a MC on it.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

GeneS

• ---
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »
Thanks!  I'm jazzed about trying out this whole Quartzsite experience.  Starting out at KOFA will help me get my feet wet.  Oh, wait--this is the desert--lemme think of a better phrase... ???
2016 Winnebago View 24M
Home base - Faucett, MO

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 06:36:19 PM »
No problem ... just wade through the puddles left by people who dump their grey water onto the ground (a big no-no in the desert, BTW).

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 10:44:02 PM »
We plan to be there on the 9th.

Spent last night in Kansas City on our way. We had 13 degrees over night. Still better than the minus 4 degrees in the motorhome while loading for the trip. Won't be quite so bad in Tulsa for tonight.

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
Hey that's great Gene and Tom... looking foward to meeting you.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 10:48:31 PM »
Thanks Kev, looking forward to meeting you and others, too.

Be prepared for some solar questions  ;)
Tom & Theresa

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »
I tend to stay up late and sleep in sometimes till noon.  So I might go down to KOFA on Monday to be there on Tuesday.

As I understand the camp site is on the north side of Kings Road and not too far from Highway 95.

How far from Highway 95 and is the site easy to see?

Is there any part of the site that I should not park on.  When parked out in the desert I usually park with the prevailing wind on the left rear side and form an "L" shape to shelter from the wind.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
Hey Kev just a heads up. The weather looks like it may be really raining hard Monday and Tuesday, so we are going to delay our arrival until Wednesday. We are staying one more day in San Dimas before pulling out. 
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 11:29:44 AM »
No problem Marty... Yeah, I saw that in the forecast. There's also a 30% chance of rain in Quartzsite on Tuesday the 9th.

Bill... the site I'm shooting for is visible from the road, if you know where to look. It's about 3/4 of a mile from Hwy 95 and about 200 yards north of Kings Rd. Unfortunately, the area is like Quartzsite - everything looks the same. The turnoff off of Kings Rd that leads to the site might be difficult for someone to recognize if they've never been there before, which is why I was hoping to get there first. I'm planning to raise our flag pole with the Forum flag, so everyone will know where the group is, and mark the turnoff with some cones.

If someone has already taken that site, we're going to have to search for another site anyway - another reason I wanted to get there first - to mark where we are for the group. We'll just have to play it by ear. If you get there before us, the best thing I can suggest is to home in on the GPS coordinates I provided for the site. You might also want to click on the link I posted and watch the video. The aerial views might give you an idea of how to access the site.

Kev
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:44:47 AM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 08:05:38 PM »
Looks like our arrival will be pushed back to the 10th as well.

I pulled off early today. I got tired of crosswinds beating up on me.

I used the extra time to de-winterize the water system and hook up the satellite.

The satellite didn't go so well as I discovered that I'd left the Solo Hub at home. Have to find one on the way tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Tom
Tom & Theresa

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 08:56:41 PM »
I was going to go down there tomorrow but it looks like I may just wait for Wednesday also.

What is a "Solo Hub"?

There are two Walmarts if you are going I-40 to 95 south thru Lake Havasu and then Quartzsite.  One is at the north end of Lake Havasu and the other is in Parker farther south.

There is also a Video/Audio store here in Lake Havasu.

There is also a Sat dealer in Quartzsite that you will go right by just before the bridge over I-10.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 10:23:49 PM »
A Solo Hub is a device that connects between a Hopper 3 and the LNB. If the system has wired Joeys then they connect to the Hub. I guess it is some sort of fancy splitter. I just know that the receiver wonít see the dish if itís not there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FL3TPTW/

I will try a Sat installer in Amarillo in the morning and one in Albuquerque if needed.

Thanks for the other options.

What do you think of Amazon Prime to General Delivery at Quartzsite Post Office?

Tom

Tom & Theresa

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 02:16:21 PM »
Just a quick weather update for those headed to KOFA in the next couple of days... On Tuesday afternoon, there's a 70% chance of rain forecast for Quartzsite (the nearest reporting station) and the winds are supposed to kick up to 20+ mph for a few hours as a front passes through. The rest of the week looks pretty nice though.

As long as we don't run into snow on the mountain pass, we're still planning to get there tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday.) The snow level is dropping, but I don't think it'll get that low. Safe travels... whenever you get there.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2018, 04:20:17 PM »
Not much rain here yet, but I don't know what the desert rain totals are supposed to be. How high are the passes you will be going over? I  know that there are some pretty good grades on the 8. 
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 09:27:06 PM »
Looks like we will make it tomorrow afternoon after all.

Got to Gallup, NM after an 11 hour drive.
DW drove about three hours of it and did a great job on her maiden drive. She'd driven about 10 miles without the toad when we first got it back in April.

Tom
Tom & Theresa

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 11:51:29 PM »
Not much rain here yet, but I don't know what the desert rain totals are supposed to be. How high are the passes you will be going over? I  know that there are some pretty good grades on the 8.
Glad you're going to be able to make it Tom. We'll see you there sometime tomorrow afternoon (See my PM)
We've only got to go over a 4300 ft. pass tomorrow Marty. Based on the forecast temps, the snow level should be around 5,000 to 5,500 ft. so I think we'll be OK. Supposed to be lots of rain though - and there's a high wind warning in affect on the pass. The tag really helps in high winds, but I want to get over the pass before CHP closes it to high profile vehicles. See you and Diane soon.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 12:14:59 AM »
Drive safe, see you Wednesday. BTW, do we need to get a permit to camp on the BLM land? I haven't been there in a few years, so anything I did have is long gone.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
Kev, looks like Q may get a bit of rain.  Will that effect the driving conditions in KOFA?   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 07:52:14 AM »
We are planning on joining the group on Thursday.  Should be there in early afternoon.

It doesn't look like Quartzsite and KOFA got very much rain.  Blythe shows about 0.14 inches total over a 3-4 hour period Tuesday afternoon. 

We spent the night in Benson, AZ last night.  No rain to speak of.  A very light shower for about 5 minutes this morning about 4am. Not even enough to settle the dust.

Al & Sharon
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 09:39:50 AM »
Didn't hear from Kevin yet it he made it. Does anyone know?
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »
Hopefully Kev is set up, warm and dry.  I just came down with a cold so we're delaying our departure until tomorrow AM.  We'd try today but I don't really want to set up in the dark.  It's probably a 6+ hour drive for us including our time filling the tanks in AZ.  If we leave tomorrow will try to make it by mid day.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Wheeldog

• ---
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »
New guy here. Hopefully, it's ok to stop by. I'm in Bouse getting my camper ready for boondocking. I want to try out my gear and maybe get some advice on how to do things better. Might make it there tomorrow but it may be Friday, mostly depends on how things go.
Roger & Mary Ellen
Wasilla, AK summer
Bouse, AZ winter

1994 Jayco 5th wheel
1999 S&S Pickup Camper
2016 Chevy 3500 HD Pickup

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 08:13:14 PM »
OK After spend all day getting hooked up and ready I got a late start.

I only made it as far as the north side of Parker.  Coming down the hill to the stoplight north of Parker I lost the brakes.

Fortunately there was no one at the intersection because i could not stop and slowed down but went right on thru the red light.  There was a pull off area just past the intersection and I pulled in to it.

I am still here trying to figure out what the problem is.  A van behind me said he could smell the trailer brakes all the way from Lake Havasu and he said he saw sparks.

I am not doing anything until daylight and then I will have to decide rather to continue to Quartzsite or turn around and go back to Lake Havasu.  The road to Quartzsite is mostly level and the road back north is hilly.  I am half way between both of them.  I also lost all my running lights except for the headlights and flashers.

I think the problem is partly in the brake controller but the Stacker brakes are probably toast by now.

I will sleep on it and start fresh thinking about it in the morning.  Renae is home in Lake Havasu and she can come down and run escort with her flasher on if I need her.

The joys and challenges of the RV life.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 08:36:24 PM »
Sorry to hear that Bill.  You know my technical skills leaves much to be desired.  However I can certainly pickup parts if you figure out what went wrong and what you will need.  We're probably heading out about 10:00 AM tomorrow so will have some time to do some shopping if necessary.  I'll PM my phone number if you need to contact me. 

Gary
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 08:53:27 PM »
OK After spend all day getting hooked up and ready I got a late start.

I only made it as far as the north side of Parker.  Coming down the hill to the stoplight north of Parker I lost the brakes.

Fortunately there was no one at the intersection because i could not stop and slowed down but went right on thru the red light.  There was a pull off area just past the intersection and I pulled in to it.

I would have loved to take a picture of your eyes going through that red light.   :o   Glad you made is safely Bill.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 09:02:24 PM »
I talked with Renae and she is going to come down tomorrow and follow me with flashers on to Q.

The road is better to Q, (fewer if any hills) and I can get parts in Quartzsite.

I could not even tell that I had a problem until the stop light. 

I will disconnect the plug for the trailer and drive slowly and conservatively with Renae behind me to signal and I will use the compression brake as well as the RV brakes.

I can fix whatever is wrong just as easily at Q as at home.

I will not go to KOFA just to do the safer thing with a shorter drive to Q.

I started out with the plan to provide a project workshop at Q and now I also have a project to do.

See you there.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car

Wheeldog

• ---
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 09:44:36 PM »
You will find a good selection of auto parts in Parker. There is a NAPA and Auto Zone there.  You can camp free at the Casino or Walmart and fix your rig. It will save you taking a chance going to Quartzsite without any brakes.

If I can be of any help, let me know. I need to get supplies in Parker tomorrow. For some reason I can't call out or make calls from Bouse, but you can Text me 907-354-4743

Roger & Mary Ellen
Wasilla, AK summer
Bouse, AZ winter

1994 Jayco 5th wheel
1999 S&S Pickup Camper

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »
Thanks.

I will see what tomorrow brings.  I will know better after seeing what kind of braking I do have.

I suspect it will take me a couple of days to inspect all six brakes and troubleshoot the brake controller and the running light issue.

I do not think Walmart or the Casino might be happy with me jacking up and pulling wheels.  At Q I can do them at my leisure over the next few weeks.

I am kind of pushing myself to get to Q as I have lots of give away stuff in the Stacker.  I do not really want to go back to Lake Havasu without making it to Q this year.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 10:46:17 PM »
New guy here. Hopefully, it's ok to stop by. I'm in Bouse getting my camper ready for boondocking. I want to try out my gear and maybe get some advice on how to do things better. Might make it there tomorrow but it may be Friday, mostly depends on how things go.

Sure Roger,  come on down. Always happy to have a new face!
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
Glad you are ok Bill.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

blw2

• ---
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2018, 10:21:59 AM »
yes, happy to read of a safe outcome.  Hope it turns out not to be a huge repair problem!

Kevin
that video was really great.  thanks for sharing that!
This easterner is very jealous of those wide open spaces and true boondocking potential!

I would love to roll out a bedroll and spend the night cowboy style in someplace like that old indian cave and look at the stars!  What a great connection to history!
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
í13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2018, 01:31:31 PM »
Glad everything is under control Bill. Let us know what you find with the brakes. We will miss you here at KOFA though!  BTW, Kevin asked me to tell folks that his Sprint connection is struggling here, so he cant get on line. But he is here and happy!
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »
Made it to Q

I do not think anyone else is here yet at least not that I can see

Woke up to a shattered front windshield .  Not sure why

Already scheduled an install of a new one.

Now I am going to slow down and relax.  Safely here.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car

GeneS

• ---
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
I ran for 45 minutes through wet  snow on I-40 last evening. I thought I would make it into KOFA this evening, but didn't think pulling in after dark (especially for a first timer) would be wise.  I tied up at Escapees North Ranch in Congress AZ. will top off water and propane, grab last of supplies in Wickenburg, and head on down to KOFA.
2016 Winnebago View 24M
Home base - Faucett, MO

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2018, 06:48:01 AM »
Good decision not to try to find us after dark, and try to get set up in the dark.  We are about 1 mile from the pavement on the NE side of the road.  We are about 10 RV's. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2018, 07:12:38 AM »
Made it to Q
I do not think anyone else is here yet at least not that I can see
Woke up to a shattered front windshield .  Not sure why
Already scheduled an install of a new one.
Now I am going to slow down and relax.  Safely here.

Bill, did you ever get your new RV?
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2018, 07:47:09 AM »
Woke up to a shattered front windshield . 

Holy smokes Bill, youíre having a couple of rough days.  :(

Your brake incident brought back a memory. I donít have to imagine how your brake failure felt because I had something similar happen on my previous rig (40í gas with toad).  Went to apply brakes and the pedal would not depress, so no coach or toad brakes. I pushed with everything I had and nothing. Shifted underdrive trans to low along with trans and the combination slowed us to under 10. Shifted to neutral and coasted to a stop on a wide pullover which appeared fortuitously at just the right moment. The cause turned out to be a toad brake actuator misinstalled by Camping World that jammed the pedal. The following day we were slated to be on steep roads which would have led to horrific results.

Glad youíre safe.
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Wheeldog

• ---
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2018, 12:18:36 AM »
Just wanted to thank everyone for a FUN time. The Jeep tour/hike and Mexican food night were totally unexpected and appreciated!!! :)
Roger & Mary Ellen
Wasilla, AK summer
Bouse, AZ winter

1994 Jayco 5th wheel
1999 S&S Pickup Camper

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2018, 11:05:12 AM »
Well we had a great mini rally with several RV Forum members, and non members. Even though it was a "non organized" type of event, the group folded together seamlessly. After a wet start on Tuesday (I waited until Wednesday. Kevin was the brave soul to brave the storm and show up on time) the weather was great for boondocking.

Kevin has been coming here for 20+ years, and for good reason. The Kofa area is scenic, quiet, and a great place to relax and get away from the hustle of every day life.

This was our first true boondocking experience with the new all electric Bus. Everything worked smoothly as designed, and the Battery Minder Kit (BMK) I previously added from Magnum Energy for our Magnum Inverter made monitoring the battery levels simple.

It has been quite a while for me since I had been to Kofa to dry camp, but we will be back. Thanks for the invite Kev!
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2018, 09:30:39 PM »
Reluctantly we pulled out of the KOFA site this morning and landed at the forum rally site closer to Quartzsite. What a great week it was making new friendships and hanging out.

Guess the timing was right as we needed to dump and get water.

Thank you Kevin for making this mini-rally known on the Forum.

Tom & Theresa

Tom & Theresa

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2018, 10:39:45 PM »
KOFA
Acronym for King OF Arizona gold mine.  The mine was a local landmark prior to the creation of the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge in 1939.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »
A diamond in the rough.  Part of yet somewhat removed from the hustle bustle of Q during the RV show high season.  Thank for the invite Kev.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »
I just wanted to tell everyone who showed up at KOFA - thanks! I hope everyone had as good a time as Cyndi and I had. About twice as many people showed up as I thought were going to be there, which was great! I've attached a few pictures of the event, but they don't depict everyone who was there - sorry about that.

It was a very relaxing week, and while there, several of us drove, and then hiked a short distance to an area known as Horse Tanks - a natural water reservoir for the local animals. It's been beefed up with concrete to hold more water, but the water level was the lowest I've seen in 20+ years. Good thing, because Marty and Diane's dog slid down some rocks, right into the water, but not to fear... Marty rescued her.

The weather was, overall, very nice during the entire week. We had one breezy day, but it wasn't too bad, and the storm that followed us from San Diego blew through and rained itself out the first night. For those who couldn't make it, we're sorry we didn't get a chance to meet you - maybe next year.

Kev

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:00:59 PM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2018, 07:39:21 PM »
Thanks for the pics Kev. Judy and I plan to winter in the desert next year. We hope to meet all of you then!
Jeff
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Blue Ox Aventa LX - RVi3 - EEZRV
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2018, 08:42:23 PM »
Cool shot of our rig with the rainbow 🌈 in the backyard.

We had a great time, thanks.

Tom & Theresa
Tom & Theresa

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2018, 10:46:47 PM »
Kev, I had a blast!  It was great to make new friends and to be in such a beautiful place. I loved Kofa and planning to stop there for a couple days when I leave QZ.

Looking forward to next time.
Debra
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2018, 12:21:48 AM »
We had a great time Kev! Just goes to show how well "unscheduled" events can turn out. Good times, good folks, and good food.  Lets do it again sometime!
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara