KOFA Camping 1/9/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
I posted this info in the Boondocking section, because that's where the topic originated, but I thought I'd also post it here in case others are interested.

We've been camping at a place called KOFA (King of Arizona) for 20+ years. It's BLM property, and we usually camp at a place off Kings road, about 45 miles north of Yuma, 30 miles south of Quartzsite. Some Forum members expressed an interest in joining us, so I told them I'd let them know when we'd next be there. We will be there for 4 or 5 days starting January 9th 2018.

The nearest place to dump, get water, supplies etc. is in Quartzsite. The temps in January can get down to freezing, but the lows are usually around 40 - the highs around 70. It's a good place to hike, explore in your vehicle and just relax.

If you enjoy that type of camping, you're welcome to join us. if you have any questions, you can post them here, or PM me and I'll get back to you. Here's a link to a short video I put together after last year's trip. It'll give you a pretty good idea of what the area is like if you're not familiar with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1OOmiy5N8

Kev

Hello Kevin,

Amazing video, thanks for making it and sharing with us. Specially liked the explanation for the 'word' KOFA... we've read about the place before and the name puzzled us as it didn't sound neither English nor Native-american. Now everything makes sense ;-)

Sounds exactly like the type of camping we love. But unfortunately we won't be able to make it to the US this year :-\

You folks have fun and please keep the topic posted with pics & more video if possible so we can be there vicariously :)

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

Sorry you can't make it Vall... was looking forward to finally meeting you. Two other couples have signed up - the first time for one of them. Maybe it'll happen next year for you.

Kev

Do you go east on Kings Road? How far? We?ll be somewhere in the area in January. May track you down.

Hi Wendy. Yes, we go east on Kings RD from Hwy 95. The turnoff is well marked by a place called "Stone Cabin" and there's a Border Patrol checkpoint a few hundred yards south of the turnoff.

We've gone many miles into the preserve and camped, and we've camped within half a mile of Hwy 95. Lately we've been camping about a mile east of Hwy 95, just west of where the preserve starts. It's a wide open site that can hold a lot of rigs, and it's far enough away from Hwy 95 and Kings Rd to keep road noise and dust down. Hope you can make it.

(Sorry you won't be able to make it Tom. Your cats would love it too.  :D)

Kev

As we get closer to January I will try to make it down there before the Q Forum Rally.

If I get there I will bring the golf cart so that you can take your Grandaughter for rides.  It is Solar Powered now. 

Hey Kev, we have put it on the calendar as tentative. Our grandson's birthday is 1/3, so it depends when his party is. If we can make, we will be there!

She still talks about your golf cart Bill. Hopefully, she'll be able to go with us. She loves camping with Gramma and Grampa.

That'd be great Marty! I really want to see your new coach. Will understand if you can't make it though. If you are able to go, we'll be pretty close to the spot we were a few years ago. I'll post some directions and Lat/Long coordinates for everyone soon.

Kev

Hey Kev, are you still on for the dessert trip? We are setting up the schedule for the next few months and want to verify that we are still on.

I wanted to send out some camping details for the upcoming KOFA trip on 1/9/18.

To get to KOFA, you'll have to take Arizona Hwy 95. If you're coming from the north (I-10/Quartzsite) you'll go south on Hwy 95 for about 25 miles until you get to place called "Stone Cabin." (There are signs) There's a US Border Patrol checkpoint for northbound traffic at Stone Cabin. If you pass the checkpoint, you've gone too far. At Stone Cabin, you'll turn left (east) onto a dirt road called King's Rd. The GPS coordinates for the King's Rd turnoff are N 033.26631  W 114.23954

If you're coming from the south (I-8/Yuma) you'll go north on Hwy 95 for about 45 miles. After crossing through the Border Patrol checkpoint at Stone Cabin, you'll go about 1/8 of a mile and then turn right (east) onto Kings Rd. IMPORTANT If you're driving a big rig, the right turn onto King's Rd is not doable without crossing into the oncoming traffic lane of Hwy 95. Kings Rd exits Hwy 95 at an angle, and it's a pretty sharp turn for northbounders. There's a dirt turnoff area, however, just before you get to Kings Rd, and you can pull off into that turnoff area, drive for about about 50 yards, and it'll dump you onto Kings Rd.

King's Rd is a well maintained dirt road. We usually camp a little less than a mile down King's Rd. and that's where we're planning to camp this time. It's a campsite on the north side of King's Rd, about 200 yards off the road. The GPS coordinates for the campsite we're shooting for are N 033.25921  W 114.22830. If someone has taken that site, we'll play it by ear. As you're making your way to this, or any other, campsite, avoid rubbing up against the bushes - even the little ones. They WILL scratch your paint (trust me.)

We plan to arrive at about 2:00 PM on the 9th, and as of now, we're planning to depart the following Sunday. Once we get there, I'll fly the RV Forum flag so others know who we are. We'll be in a mostly reddish colored Winnie Tour towing a black Jeep. All are welcome. We're not a party til we puke crowd - just a group who likes to relax and take in the fresh air and scenery, and we enjoy meeting new people.

For those who haven't been following this discussion, or who have never been to KOFA, it's is a wildlife refuge on BLM land, and you can camp there for free for two weeks. It's boondocking. The closest services (fuel, water, propane, dump-station etc) are in Quartzsite, about 25 miles away, so plan accordingly. This video will give you an idea of what it's like.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1OOmiy5N8

Right now, the forecast is for mostly sunny skies and temps ranging from the mid 70s to the low 40s, but it's the desert and that can change quickly. If you enjoy boondocking, you'll enjoy KOFA. We've been camping there several times a year for more than 20 years and we really enjoy it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them here, or you can PM me. Right now, I expect about half a dozen RVers to join us. Hope to see you there.

Kev

Gosh We would love to, but we go to closing on our house and moving into our rig for our full time adventure.  I love KOFA and hope you enjoy it.

Kevin, I?m in Arizona for my first winter. I?ve read quite a few of your posts about camping in KOFA and this is one of the places I planned to visit. I?m in Tucson now and have appointment on 8th for some repairs. If everything goes well I?m going to head that way. So would probably arrive Wednesday. Plan to go to Q afterwards.

Look forward to meeting you and other forum members.

Is there Verizon cell service at the camping location?
Debra

Sorry you can't make it Bruce, but we understand. Glad everyone else will be there. Debra... I think Verizon works where we plan to camp. We've got Sprint, which barely works there, but I'm pretty sure our friends, who often camp there with us, have Verizon, and their phones work. That's one of the reasons we camp there. You get much further into the preserve and no one has coverage.

Kev

Well, they say everyone has to try Q at least once.  I think this is my year. It looks like there is an escape window thru the weather here (Kansas City Area) starting on Sunday.  I would love to meet some of the members of this forum, which IMHO is the best one out there.  Question--I will have my Softtail along in the trailer.  Is this area soft sand, or hardpack enough to ride back out to the blacktop?

Back
Top Bottom