KOFA Camping 1/9/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks!  I'm jazzed about trying out this whole Quartzsite experience.  Starting out at KOFA will help me get my feet wet.  Oh, wait--this is the desert--lemme think of a better phrase... ???

No problem ... just wade through the puddles left by people who dump their grey water onto the ground (a big no-no in the desert, BTW).

We plan to be there on the 9th.

Spent last night in Kansas City on our way. We had 13 degrees over night. Still better than the minus 4 degrees in the motorhome while loading for the trip. Won't be quite so bad in Tulsa for tonight.

Tom

I tend to stay up late and sleep in sometimes till noon.  So I might go down to KOFA on Monday to be there on Tuesday.

As I understand the camp site is on the north side of Kings Road and not too far from Highway 95.

How far from Highway 95 and is the site easy to see?

Is there any part of the site that I should not park on.  When parked out in the desert I usually park with the prevailing wind on the left rear side and form an "L" shape to shelter from the wind.

Hey Kev just a heads up. The weather looks like it may be really raining hard Monday and Tuesday, so we are going to delay our arrival until Wednesday. We are staying one more day in San Dimas before pulling out. 

No problem Marty... Yeah, I saw that in the forecast. There's also a 30% chance of rain in Quartzsite on Tuesday the 9th.

Bill... the site I'm shooting for is visible from the road, if you know where to look. It's about 3/4 of a mile from Hwy 95 and about 200 yards north of Kings Rd. Unfortunately, the area is like Quartzsite - everything looks the same. The turnoff off of Kings Rd that leads to the site might be difficult for someone to recognize if they've never been there before, which is why I was hoping to get there first. I'm planning to raise our flag pole with the Forum flag, so everyone will know where the group is, and mark the turnoff with some cones.

If someone has already taken that site, we're going to have to search for another site anyway - another reason I wanted to get there first - to mark where we are for the group. We'll just have to play it by ear. If you get there before us, the best thing I can suggest is to home in on the GPS coordinates I provided for the site. You might also want to click on the link I posted and watch the video. The aerial views might give you an idea of how to access the site.

Kev

Looks like our arrival will be pushed back to the 10th as well.

I pulled off early today. I got tired of crosswinds beating up on me.

I used the extra time to de-winterize the water system and hook up the satellite.

The satellite didn't go so well as I discovered that I'd left the Solo Hub at home. Have to find one on the way tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Tom

I was going to go down there tomorrow but it looks like I may just wait for Wednesday also.

What is a "Solo Hub"?

There are two Walmarts if you are going I-40 to 95 south thru Lake Havasu and then Quartzsite.  One is at the north end of Lake Havasu and the other is in Parker farther south.

There is also a Video/Audio store here in Lake Havasu.

There is also a Sat dealer in Quartzsite that you will go right by just before the bridge over I-10.

A Solo Hub is a device that connects between a Hopper 3 and the LNB. If the system has wired Joeys then they connect to the Hub. I guess it is some sort of fancy splitter. I just know that the receiver won?t see the dish if it?s not there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FL3TPTW/

I will try a Sat installer in Amarillo in the morning and one in Albuquerque if needed.

Thanks for the other options.

What do you think of Amazon Prime to General Delivery at Quartzsite Post Office?

Tom

Just a quick weather update for those headed to KOFA in the next couple of days... On Tuesday afternoon, there's a 70% chance of rain forecast for Quartzsite (the nearest reporting station) and the winds are supposed to kick up to 20+ mph for a few hours as a front passes through. The rest of the week looks pretty nice though.

As long as we don't run into snow on the mountain pass, we're still planning to get there tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday.) The snow level is dropping, but I don't think it'll get that low. Safe travels... whenever you get there.

Kev

Not much rain here yet, but I don't know what the desert rain totals are supposed to be. How high are the passes you will be going over? I  know that there are some pretty good grades on the 8. 

Looks like we will make it tomorrow afternoon after all.

Got to Gallup, NM after an 11 hour drive.
DW drove about three hours of it and did a great job on her maiden drive. She'd driven about 10 miles without the toad when we first got it back in April.

Tom

SargeW said:
Not much rain here yet, but I don't know what the desert rain totals are supposed to be. How high are the passes you will be going over? I  know that there are some pretty good grades on the 8.
Glad you're going to be able to make it Tom. We'll see you there sometime tomorrow afternoon (See my PM)
We've only got to go over a 4300 ft. pass tomorrow Marty. Based on the forecast temps, the snow level should be around 5,000 to 5,500 ft. so I think we'll be OK. Supposed to be lots of rain though - and there's a high wind warning in affect on the pass. The tag really helps in high winds, but I want to get over the pass before CHP closes it to high profile vehicles. See you and Diane soon.

Kev

Drive safe, see you Wednesday. BTW, do we need to get a permit to camp on the BLM land? I haven't been there in a few years, so anything I did have is long gone.

We are planning on joining the group on Thursday.  Should be there in early afternoon.

It doesn't look like Quartzsite and KOFA got very much rain.  Blythe shows about 0.14 inches total over a 3-4 hour period Tuesday afternoon. 

We spent the night in Benson, AZ last night.  No rain to speak of.  A very light shower for about 5 minutes this morning about 4am. Not even enough to settle the dust.

Al & Sharon

Hopefully Kev is set up, warm and dry.  I just came down with a cold so we're delaying our departure until tomorrow AM.  We'd try today but I don't really want to set up in the dark.  It's probably a 6+ hour drive for us including our time filling the tanks in AZ.  If we leave tomorrow will try to make it by mid day.   

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom