EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Water & Electric Questions  (Read 337 times)

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
Water & Electric Questions
« on: October 22, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
As I prepare for my camper, a couple new questions have come up.

Electric EMS:  Since the power plugs into the rear of my unit, and the power panel is by the door, I am not sure how accessible the power cable will be for installing a hard wired Progressive HW50C.  I have also seen the portable plug in version used WITH AN ANTITHEFT cable and lock.
1.  Other than convenience, is there a compelling reason to go with the hard wired unit?
2.  Is theft of EMS a real issue?  Is a locking security cable really needed?

Water:  I have ordered a Camco 40058 brass, adjustable water regulator with gauge for $34, hose washers with filter, blow out plug and a 50 ft never kink water hose. 
3.  How important / necessary is a back flow valve?  Is one usually installed in the camper water system?  Is that sufficient?

I have ordered minimum needs for sewer until I get the camper and see what else is needed - Camco Rhino 20 ft ( 2 ea 10 ft hoses) kit, replacement O rings, a donut, and disposable gloves.

I have the TST 507 TPMS with 6 sensors.  Need to order 2 more.  Initially, I plan for 4 on the camper and truck rear tires.  I will get the other two on my order to RV Upgrades after I get the camper.  By not getting this on my first order, I guarantee free shipping - over $99 - on my next smaller order.

When I get the camper, I plan to go 8 miles to a campground for the first night - close to help if needed.  Am I missing any required items other than camp chairs and a bottle opener?
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Water & Electric Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
Gordon, mine is set up pretty much like yours I think. In my pass through compartment, I had to take the aft wall down and it exposed all the wiring and piping. I didn't use the hard wired type. Mine is portable. Depending where I'm at Is when I decide whether to lock it to the post.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

JackL

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »
On the "back flow preventer" : I know in Florida it is the law, and where we are in Monroe county, they check.
 If you own the lot, it is your responsibility to make sure one is on the incoming supply.
 If you don't own it, it is the RV parks or the state parks responsibility.
 Many counties don't check

Jack L

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »
Campgrounds should have a backflow preventer installed on the fresh water outlet (hose bib) if the county/state requires it. They are the faucet owner and are legally responsible for it. Doesn't hurt to carry one, though. I used to have a small metal box with various hose adapters, fittings (including a water thief!) and spare parts.  If you have a tank flush connection, it should have an anti-siphon built into it, but there still should be one where the water hose connects to the campground supply. Or your backyard faucet at home.

Theft of power monitor/EMS units depends largely on where you go. Some places you could leave your wallet outside, but that doesn't mean there aren't other places where anything not bolted or locked down will disappear.

If you have a detachable power cord, finding a place to hardwire an EMS can be a nuisance, plus you want it where you can see the indicator lights. I think I might  go for the portable in your case. Check around possible locations and give it some thought - there is no real need to get it done yesterday.

You will probably want a Hazmat suit for dumping the tanks, too. Most RVers these days seem to be terrified of coming in contact with some nastyy water and your neighbors might not talk to you if they think you got contaminated.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 03:54:34 PM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »
We have a portable Progressive HW50C (wouldn't be without it) and when we're hooked up to shore-power, I always use it. I also always chain it up. Takes 30 extra seconds.

We use the adjustable Valtera water regulator. I'm not familiar withh the Camco you mentioned. Ours froze and broke one night and Valtera replaced it for free, even though it was my fault and it was two years old. They even paid for shipping.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 07:18:20 PM »
Thanks All.

I am looking at the HW50C, which has the remote display to be mounted in the coach.  Access to read the display is not an issue.  The HW50  has the display on the unit, and no remote.

Rene, thanks for the tip.  I believe that wall is just forward of the power box location, which is conveniently at floor level.

I will not buy anything until the FW is here and I have a better look.

I will get a back flow valve for home if nothing else!
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
Campgrounds should have a backflow preventer installed on the fresh water outlet (hose bib) if the county/state requires it. They are the faucet owner and are legally responsible for it. Doesn't hurt to carry one, though. I used to have a small metal box with various hose adapters, fittings (including a water thief!) and spare parts.  If you have a tank flush connection, it should have an anti-siphon built into it, but there still should be one where the water hose connects to the campground supply. Or your backyard faucet at home.

The CG We stay at in Lakeland FL doesn't have a backflow preventers. There are 2 spigots and that's just it. I hook up my water supply to one of them along with my pressure regulator and the flusher on the other spigot.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »
The CG We stay at in Lakeland FL doesn't have a backflow preventers. There are 2 spigots and that's just it. I hook up my water supply to one of them along with my pressure regulator and the flusher on the other spigot.

As we've moved around Florida, some parks have them, some don't. Even the state parks tend to be that way. Differences in local code requirements maybe?

At one park in Florida, the backflow preventer leaked so badly where it threaded onto the faucet, that I removed it and tried replacing the washer to no avail. So I took it off again and put a fat o-ring on the faucet for it seat against, and that stopped the leak. The next day I notified the maintenance man about the issue, but two years later we got the same site and my o-ring was still on there... :)
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:39:43 AM »
Did not know Camco had a regulator like that one but from the Photo it **SHOULD** be good if you have volume issues (pressure drops when you shower) try a watts or Zurin 1/2 or 3/4 inch with hose adapters.. But I think you should be good with the one you ordered

On the HW-50c   You should have room near the auto-transfer switch or distribution panel. I prefer to put it ONLY in teh shore line. Some prefer the "Both" (ATS to Distro) Line.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network