Class C Towing Guidance/Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jldskd

We just bought a 2017 Coachman Leprechaun Class C motor home (on a 2016 chassis) . It is 26 ft., with a V10, 6.8 Liter Ford Triton engine (362 horsepower at 4,750 rpm and 457 ft. lbs of torque at 3,250 rpm). We want to tow a dinghy vehicle (I'm told that is the correct term when you tow the vehicle without trailering it), and I am trying to sort through the mystery of towing capacity definitions.

The documentation lists a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 12,500 lbs., and a Gross Combined Weight Rating of 18,500 lbs.  It has a max towing weight of 5,000 lbs., and a max tongue weight of 500 lbs., as currently equipped. Does anyone have experience with towing a dinghy with this model vehicle, or one with a similar power train? Any recommendations of vehicles to consider as a dinghy? What do I need to know about tow bars and rigging? Appreciate any wisdom you have to share.

I also have a Leprechaun but a little bit longer.  My suggestion is that you fill the water, gas, and LP tanks.  Then go to a certified scale to see how much it weights.  This would give you an idea on where you are.  I also suggest you get a 3,000 to 3,500 car to tow.

Forgot, welcome to the forum. 

Others will offer their suggestions.

I towed a Mini Cooper (stick shift) with that power train for 6 years, agree with finding a toad that is 3000 - 3600lbs.

I've towed a couple of smart cars.  The first behind a 40' DP and the second behind a 21' Class C.  They weigh only 1800 pounds and have an automated manual transmission so just put it in Neutral and tow.
Mine is going to go up for sale soon as I am selling the RV.

Attachments

• IMG_5024 (Small).jpg
    IMG_5024 (Small).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 38
  • SmartInTow.jpg
    SmartInTow.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 29
BTW, your Coachmen will not have the 3 valve, 362hp, V-10, it will have the 2 valve 305hp, V-10.  Why, you may ask, because the 3 valve engine won't fit in the E450 chassis. I have had both a 2016 and a 2017 E-450 on my previous Freedom Elite 22FE, and my current Jayco 26XD. The 3 valve engine is found in the F53 chassis (motorhomes), and large super duty F series pickups, but not in the E series chassis because the 3 valve heads are taller and the engine simply won't fit.

sadixon49 said:
BTW, your Coachmen will not have the 3 valve, 362hp, V-10, it will have the 2 valve 305hp, V-10.  Why, you may ask, because the 3 valve engine won't fit in the E450 chassis. I have had both a 2016 and a 2017 E-450 on my previous Freedom Elite 22FE, and my current Jayco 26XD. The 3 valve engine is found in the F53 chassis (motorhomes), and large super duty F series pickups, but not in the E series chassis because the 3 valve heads are taller and the engine simply won't fit.
Wrong.  It has a 6 liter Chevy Vortec engine. A 3500 Express chassis.  V8 engine with 360 hp. Plenty of power to pull itself and a toad.

sadixon was referring to the OP's Vehicle, a Coachman Leprechaun Class C where he stated it had the Ford 3 valve... etc  engine.

jldskd said:
We just bought a 2017 Coachman Leprechaun Class C motor home (on a 2016 chassis) . It is 26 ft., with a V10, 6.8 Liter Ford Triton engine (362 horsepower at 4,750 rpm and 457 ft. lbs of torque at 3,250 rpm). We want to tow a dinghy vehicle (I'm told that is the correct term when you tow the vehicle without trailering it), and I am trying to sort through the mystery of towing capacity definitions.

The documentation lists a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 12,500 lbs., and a Gross Combined Weight Rating of 18,500 lbs.  It has a max towing weight of 5,000 lbs., and a max tongue weight of 500 lbs., as currently equipped. Does anyone have experience with towing a dinghy with this model vehicle, or one with a similar power train? Any recommendations of vehicles to consider as a dinghy? What do I need to know about tow bars and rigging? Appreciate any wisdom you have to share.
The max towing is likely based on the hitch rating.  If you want to pull a heavier toad or possibly trailer your toad, have your hitch upgraded.  You have more than enough power with your rig to tow significantly more than 5,000 lbs. 

garyb1st said:
The max towing is likely based on the hitch rating.  If you want to pull a heavier toad or possibly trailer your toad, have your hitch upgraded.  You have more than enough power with your rig to tow significantly more than 5,000 lbs.

But the tow rating may be based on the frame, rather than just the hitch, in which case a hitch upgrade wouldn't increase the tow rating. It's more than just power that determines the tow rating.

Larry N. said:
But the tow rating may be based on the frame, rather than just the hitch, in which case a hitch upgrade wouldn't increase the tow rating. It's more than just power that determines the tow rating.

Towing capacity is more about stopping ability than pulling. In theory you could pull a 35ft fifth wheel with a 4cyl ford ranger but it sure won't be able to stop it.
Hitch capacity is only what the hitch is capable of handling, not the vehicle. Once again, you can put a 30,000 lb capacity hitch on a ranger but that doesn't mean the truck can handle that much.

I can't agree it's about all about stopping - the trailer has brakes and is supposed to be able to stop itself. However, it's not just about horsepower to move the load either.  A 30,000 lb hitch attached to a 3000 lb frame won't pull or stop the tow. It just rips out the frame cross member it is attached to. Plus there are moments when the trailer becomes the tail that wags the dog, regardless of braking or horsepower. Side winds are one easy-to-comprehend example, but there are several more scenarios.

The difference between the gross combined and gross vehicle weight ratings is 6,000 lbs.  That means if the motorhome is loaded to the max, 12,500 lbs, it can still tow a 6,000 lbs vehicle.  If the motorhome is not loaded to the max, the toad can exceed 6,000 lbs as long as the combined doesn't exceed 18,500 lbs.  The only thing that needs to be done is a hitch upgrade. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I can't agree it's about all about stopping - the trailer has brakes and is supposed to be able to stop itself. However, it's not just about horsepower to move the load either.  A 30,000 lb hitch attached to a 3000 lb frame won't pull or stop the tow. It just rips out the frame cross member it is attached to. Plus there are moments when the trailer becomes the tail that wags the dog, regardless of braking or horsepower. Side winds are one easy-to-comprehend example, but there are several more scenarios.

Yes Gary, you're correct, but my statement was not "all about stopping", just "more about stopping". Only due to stopping is considerably more important than pulling for safety reasons.
One can almost always use a lower gear to get up a hill but when going downhill and a little kid chases his ball or his puppy into the street in front of you - stopping is more important than anything else.
This is the scenerio I used to explain to my goofy sister-in-law when she wanted to go get 2 free horses 350 miles away with a dodge caravan (with 4 kids in the van and an empty horse trailer it was already overweight, not to mention 2 horses).  I know - not a great comparison for this particular discussion topic, but it's the point.

Hearer is the key statement. It has a max towing weight of 5,000 lbs., and a max tongue weight of 500 lbs. Disregard those telling you that you can tow more. You will also need a auxiliary brake, such as a Brake Buddy. Now the search is for a toad you can tow 4 down.  :))
You will need a baseplate a tow bar and a light harness. Just a thought, I bought a 10,000 lb rated tow bar so I can have excess capacity incase I want to move to a heavier toad in a different coach. My current coach has a 10,000lb tow rating.
If you have any questions fell free to ask.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom