Renting before owning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AutumnLief

SO we just bought a pickup (needed a second vehicle) and we are thinking that for the next year we will rent a travel trailer from time to time. We have 1 DEFINITE trip planned of between 8 and 10 days next August and possibly a trip end of March. Possibly a third trip in the fall to SC. We figure it will give us a chance to check out different layouts and amenities. We also do NOT have a place to park a TT unless we rent a spot. And having just bought the truck, we are watching the finances. Paid cash and don't want a TT payment.

We figure this time of year, next year, will be a good time to buy as the new models are coming out and we will hopefully get something used for a good price.

Did y'all just dive right in and buy before you ever went out with your TT/RV/camper/etc? Did you work your way up?

Open to any and all suggestions especially any advice when renting.

Diving right in usually results in disastrous consequences. People get in such a hurry to buy it that they never properly investigate the RV scene and end up making many mistakes. Renting first is a very good idea. I started with tents then went up to class Bs then to class Cs and then to class As and now I have a fifth wheel.

AutumnLief said:
SO we just bought a pickup (needed a second vehicle) and we are thinking that for the next year we will rent a travel trailer from time to time. We have 1 DEFINITE trip planned of between 8 and 10 days next August and possibly a trip end of March. Possibly a third trip in the fall to SC. We figure it will give us a chance to check out different layouts and amenities. We also do NOT have a place to park a TT unless we rent a spot. And having just bought the truck, we are watching the finances. Paid cash and don't want a TT payment.

We figure this time of year, next year, will be a good time to buy as the new models are coming out and we will hopefully get something used for a good price.

Did y'all just dive right in and buy before you ever went out with your TT/RV/camper/etc? Did you work your way up?

Open to any and all suggestions especially any advice when renting.

You didn't mention the EXACT truck that you just bought.  That makes a big difference in what you can tow.
What engine, gearing, tow package and options etc.

You will need to do your homework and DON'T believe anything a salesman or rentalman says like, "your vehicle will be fine".

I'm not so sure this will be a good time to buy.  For one thing people that are planning on selling will think next spring would be a better
time to sell and buy another unit.  Next is you need to take your time and really learn about what it is your planning to buy.
It's very easy for a new RV'er to buy something that has hidden damage and then regret it later.  Take your time and don't dive in just yet.

RedandSilver said:
You didn't mention the EXACT truck that you just bought.  That makes a big difference in what you can tow.
What engine, gearing, tow package and options etc.

You will need to do your homework and DON'T believe anything a salesman or rentalman says like, "your vehicle will be fine".

I'm not so sure this will be a good time to buy.  For one thing people that are planning on selling will think next spring would be a better
time to sell and buy another unit.  Next is you need to take your time and really learn about what it is your planning to buy.
It's very easy for a new RV'er to buy something that has hidden damage and then regret it later.  Take your time and don't dive in just yet.

'07 Tundra 5.7L V8 WITH THE TOW PACKAGE (verified that it was factory done with Toyota directly at manufacture). Towing Capacity is just over 10,000 lbs. We figure we will be at about 6,800 fully loaded with a travel trailer (after adding consumables, etc). So plenty of room. It's just the 2 of us but didn't want to be concerned if we had family visiting and wanted to rent a larger TT for more adults.

About 40 years ago I bought a used 16' trailer with gas lanterns for lighting. Moved up through 6 more RV's to our current Class A for the last 13 years.

If I had my life to do over again I would rent an RV and learn some good basics before I purchase.

So I think you are making a very wise decision as the money you spend renting will come back tenfold. 

Back
Top Bottom