Military RV Parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVoorhis318

I just got my DOD card and have never stayed at a military RV park. Can any Vet's give me the skinny on your favorite parks and the ins and outs of the park system please??

Thanks

Rob

We have stayed at several, Dover, Ft Meade, Little Rock AFB, Andrews, The Naval Academy at Annapolis, McGuire AFB. There are sites online that will tell you about the FamCamps. Try www.militarycampgrounds.us Some are great, some are mediocre. Costs run from $20 to $50 a night. Most take reservations. Outdoor recreation at the base usually manages the CG's.

Rob VanVoorhis said:
I just got my DOD card and have never stayed at a military RV park. Can any Vet's give me the skinny on your favorite parks and the ins and outs of the park system please??

Thanks

Rob

What is your eligibility? Did you actually retire from a military service or are you a disabled vet? Normally the disabled vet eligibility only applies to 100% recipients. 

Each base has it's own set of rules. I'm pretty sure all your questions will be answered with the information provided in the reference posted in reply #4. The retired USAF Master Sargent that owns and operates that web site has been at it for at least 15 years and constantly updates his information. Very reliable. 

I have that benefit, though I have only used it one time.  In my case it is related to having 100% VA Disability so I can verify that one of the ways to be eligible is  the 100%

I had a triple bypass 15 years ago and my heart condition is on the Agent Orange list.

The RV park benefit was overshadowed by the phone call about 5 years ago awarding me with $196,016,00 in retroactive benefits and an ongoing $3,000+ a month since then.

That was my "Welcome Home Parade".

HueyPilotVN said:
I have that benefit, though I have only used it one time.  In my case it is related to having 100% VA Disability so I can verify that one of the ways to be eligible is  the 100%

I had a triple bypass 15 years ago and my heart condition is on the Agent Orange list.

The RV park benefit was overshadowed by the phone call about 5 years ago awarding me with $196,016,00 in retroactive benefits and an ongoing $3,000+ a month since then.

That was my "Welcome Home Parade".

Nice to hear you are finally receiving your benefits. Although they should not be called benefits. Should be called your VA Rights. My son came back from Iraq with PTSD. He is rated at 80% and is trying to get reevaluated to 100%. I have a high school friend that was in my wedding. Last time I saw him he said he had a heart condition related to agent orange.

I tell the story because there are Veterans out there that do have conditions that would qualify them for income that would make a big difference in their daily lives.

HueyPilotVN said:
I tell the story because there are Veterans out there that do have conditions that would qualify them for income that would make a big difference in their daily lives.

Exactly! I've talked to several that for some reason did not know they could get benefits. As a civilian working for the DoD my job was to brief troops on VA education benefits. It amazed me how many folks had no idea what benefits they had earned. Folks earned these benefits. They need to take advantage of them. Anybody out there that doesn't know what benefits they have coming to them can go to www.va.gov. If you have a hard time understanding or navigating the site PM me and I'll try to help.

I like to tell people that my VA disability check is all part of the Army's low wage and benefit package... 8)

I know the conversation is getting a bit off topic and I hope the OP doesn't object but I think what we are talking about is important. Many veterans do not realize they have benefits owed them. I would posit there are many vets on this forum and maybe some do not know they are missing some benefits. It's like I told my son tonight. I told him he needs to get enrolled in an online bachelors program. The VA will pay his tuition, pay him a housing stipend of $840 a month, and $1000 per year for books and supplies. I have used my VA home loan benefit to purchase several homes. I've had vets tell me they don't want to apply for disability because it will hinder them in getting a job. Not true.

I've stayed at several Navy RV campgrounds from South Georgia to Key West.  They are always on or very close to the water, often have access to MWR equipment rentals including boats in some locations and are usually reasonably priced in the range of $30.00 per day or so.  I'm eligible as a DoD civilian retiree.  (I'm also a Vietnam combat veteran but that doesn't seem to count for some reason.) 

I personally liked Sigsbee Park at Key West the best because it provides access to the entire culture that Key West entails.  A bicycle will easily carry you around the entire Key.  I met several of the local civilians by showing up for their Saturday Pickleball sessions.  That in turn gave me access to the community outside the tourist centers and the military RV park. 

The RV Park is mostly dry camping with access to adequate restroom and shower facilities.  Nearly everybody runs a small generator during the day.  Every eligible visitor gets a place to park his/her rig even if it's on an overflow location.  They will work you into the regular sites from there.

I understand that it's closed until December, probably resulting from the recent hurricanes.  Check before you go, but if they say you can come they will have a place for you.

Dan T

Dan T said:
(I'm also a Vietnam combat veteran but that doesn't seem to count for some reason.) 

Dan T

a Vietnam vet never counted for anything until after 9/11.

Tony, I have to disagree.  We didn't always get the welcome home we should have but I got a GI bill, a college education from it, a good job based upon a 5 point veteran's preference, a good career and a good wife I met while going to school shortly after I got out of college. 

But you are right about one thing, it wasn't until fairly recently that people started saying "thank you for your service." 

Know that you did what you could and take comfort in that.  Dan,  US Army, Vietnam 1970 and 1971.

A lot of our trips are planned around FAMCamps depending on the area we are going to. We like so many of the campgrounds and some are in nice resort areas such as Lake Texahoma where we stayed this past summer for a week, Grand Rapids, SD offers Mt Rushmore and the Black Hills, We also have stayed at Dover AFB which really has a limited number of sites. The panhandle of Florida has numerous military campgrounds of which we have stayed in 3 of them. Make sure you make reservations where allowed.

DanT, you probably know my brother-in-law.  He stayed at Sigsbee for several years.  He went out west this last year, though.
He says people call him "Mayor Bob".  ::)

Back
Top Bottom