Military RV Parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arch Hoagland said:
I have four years active duty in the Navy 63 to 67. Can I use these campgrounds?

Some off base military recreational areas may allow you to stay. Generally, on base recreational areas will require some degree of eligibility. Someone from this forum' s staff has already posted the reference posted below. It has explanations about eligibility requirements for individual bases.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

FastEagle said:
Some off base military recreational areas may allow you to stay. Generally, on base recreational areas will require some degree of eligibility. Someone from this forum' s staff has already posted the reference posted below. It has explanations about eligibility requirements for individual bases.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

Thanks...checked it out.  If I'm near a place I'd like to stay I'll call and ask.

Joined the Navy in Pennsylvania and now live in California. I can't use any California veteran benefits...CALVet loans, etc because I joined in Pennsylvania.

Can't use any Pennsylvania veterans benefits because I live in California.

Twice tried to get VA hospital coverage but they denied me because I owned a rental home. Hmmmm.

Not really complaining though as they paid, fed and housed me for 4 years plus I got a good education in electronics which has served me well.

Dan T said:
Tony, I have to disagree.  We didn't always get the welcome home we should have but I got a GI bill, a college education from it, a good job based upon a 5 point veteran's preference, a good career and a good wife I met while going to school shortly after I got out of college. 

But you are right about one thing, it wasn't until fairly recently that people started saying "thank you for your service." 

Know that you did what you could and take comfort in that.  Dan,  US Army, Vietnam 1970 and 1971.

It's hard to take comfort in something that goes down in history as nothing but a giant waste of lives.

Arch Hoagland said:
Thanks...checked it out.  If I'm near a place I'd like to stay I'll call and ask.

Joined the Navy in Pennsylvania and now live in California. I can't use any California veteran benefits...CALVet loans, etc because I joined in Pennsylvania.

Can't use any Pennsylvania veterans benefits because I live in California.

Twice tried to get VA hospital coverage but they denied me because I owned a rental home. Hmmmm.

Not really complaining though as they paid, fed and housed me for 4 years plus I got a good education in electronics which has served me well.

One of the largest Naval recreational complexes is located in San Diego. (ADM Baker). It's off base and I've heard it now allows civilians to park in it's RV park. You may not be allowed to use all of it's facilities but it's in a great location for browsing the city and the whole area in general.

p.s. All VETS can now apply for a VA ID card. If nothing else it's good for discounts at numerous RV parks/CGs or at retailers like Home Depot/Lowe's. All you have to do to apply is show proof of service, something like a DD214 or an inactive reserve ID card.

No Sir, You are wrong.  Home Depot is now the same as the Military Campgrounds are.

If your VA card does not show "Disabled service related" on it right below your photo...no discount.

It used to be any Vet with a card got 10% off....but they stopped that.

I knew all of us Vietnam and cold war vets were riding along on the nobility of todays vets,  and I knew it wouldn't last.

But hey !    at least we can get in the same Military campgrounds that civilians can get into.... ;)

Here is what it says.

https://themilitarywallet.com/veterans-identification-card-eligibility/

gwcowgill said:
A lot of our trips are planned around FAMCamps depending on the area we are going to. We like so many of the campgrounds and some are in nice resort areas such as Lake Texahoma where we stayed this past summer for a week, Grand Rapids, SD offers Mt Rushmore and the Black Hills, We also have stayed at Dover AFB which really has a limited number of sites. The panhandle of Florida has numerous military campgrounds of which we have stayed in 3 of them. Make sure you make reservations where allowed.

Did you possibly mean Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota for Mt Rushmore and the Black Hills.  We were stationed there for 9 years but have never heard of Grand Rapids, SD.  There is a Grand Forks, North Dakota where we lived another 30+ years and the base famcamp there is very good.

Bill

Yes Bill, I meant Ellsworth. I am starting to get the dreaded brain farts now at 76. We love it there in the summer. With Base closures, we lose a lot of the FAMCAMPS. Our S&B home is right off of the old Homestead AFB where a really nice FAMCAMP once was. Oh, I did mean Rapid City, must of been thinking of Grand Rapids, Mi where we have friends.

TonyDtorch said:
No Sir, You are wrong.  Home Depot is now the same as the Military Campgrounds are.

If your VA card does not show "Disabled service related" on it right below your photo...no discount.

It used to be any Vet with a card got 10% off....but they stopped that.

I knew all of us Vietnam and cold war vets were riding along on the nobility of todays vets,  and I knew it wouldn't last.

But hey !    at least we can get in the same Military campgrounds that civilians can get into.... ;)

I would like to mention that our local ACE hardware gives 10% off, not sure if others do but the one I frequent does.

Even without the 10%... I prefer to shop at a locally owned business,  and you always get wonderful customer service at an Ace Hardware.

I got my Va card before I was awarded any disability,  I could just go get a new card... but I've seen Home Depot's colors now.

Arch Hoagland said:
I have four years active duty in the Navy 63 to 67. Can I use these campgrounds?

You have to be either active duty, retired or 100% disabled in order to use the facilities.

TonyDtorch said:
Even without the 10%... I prefer to shop at a locally owned business,  and you always get wonderful customer service at an Ace Hardware.

I got my Va card before I was awarded any disability,  I could just go get a new card... but I've seen Home Depot's colors now.

Agree and I felt the same about home depot until I looked up their helping veterans and found out how much they donate. Will only shop at a home depot that is out of my local area, our store is repulsive.

Being only a Veteran doesn't get you much in the way of perks anywhere.

If fact,  I don't think Home Depot will give you a discount... on Veterans Day.

I didn't serve 20+ years in the military with expectations or desires to get perks for the rest of my life.
If a business offers a perk I thank them sincerely and move on. I most certainly do not criticise them for how they do it.

TonyDtorch said:
Being only a Veteran doesn't get you much in the way of perks anywhere.

If fact I don't think Home Depot gives you a discount on Veterans Day.
I consider any discount I get as a retired veteran to be a bonus.  I don't hold a grudge if a business does not offer one.  I get my Lowes discount for every purchase and have never had a problem.  In fact, I no longer need to show my ID card, it is in my records and since I scan my MYLOWES card with every purchase, the discount comes up automatically.  It is nice that a lot of restaurants give out free meals on Veterans Day but I don't take advantage of them because every time I have tried I found that they offered the meal on a different day if Veterans Day happened to fall on a normally high traffic day.  It is sort of like a seniors discount. Some stores offer them, many don't and several have strings attached.

Being a veteran has given me a lot of perks - discounts, meals (at times) and, best of all, recognition by the general public.  I am proud of every minute I served and that is the perk of which I am most proud.

Bill

BobNSam said:
I didn't serve 20+ years in the military with expectations or desires to get perks for the rest of my life.
If a business offers a perk I thank them sincerely and move on. I most certainly do not criticise them for how they do it.

Ditto 100 times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom