Installing a Inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill dean

Looking to install a Samlex PST 1000W Inverter in my TT. The question I have  is should the inverters negative terminal terminate at the shunt for my Trimetric Meter or should it go directly to the battery? I will also be hooking up a Lota DLS-55 to charge my 2 t-105 batteries.

On my rig I have the Trimetric Meter and I also have a 1000 watt Inverter. I have my negative cable from the inverter going to a negative buss bar (which is where all my negative dc connections go.) The negative buss bar then connects to the shunt. The only cable you want going to the negative battery post(s) is the one going from the shunt to the battery. That way all the current is going through the shunt so your Trimetric Meter can accurately measure current, voltage, etc. Works fine on my rig anyway.

What is the rating of the shunt? THe inverter can pull down around 100 amps. If the shunt can handle it. I'd go that route. IF you have issues Switch.

rbrdriver said:
On my rig I have the Trimetric Meter and I also have a 1000 watt Inverter. I have my negative cable from the inverter going to a negative buss bar (which is where all my negative dc connections go.) The negative buss bar then connects to the shunt. The only cable you want going to the negative battery post(s) is the one going from the shunt to the battery. That way all the current is going through the shunt so your Trimetric Meter can accurately measure current, voltage, etc. Works fine on my rig anyway.
Ditto. 

One end of the shunt connects directly to the battery bank negative post, on the other end of the shunt you attach all the other negative cables. This way everything goes through the shunt.

John From Detroit said:
What is the rating of the shunt? THe inverter can pull down around 100 amps. If the shunt can handle it. I'd go that route. IF you have issues Switch.

500A is what the shunt its rated for. I kind of figured everything should go though the shunt.

The inverter negative cable goes to ground. The shunt which is for the battery monitor goes in between the battery (or multiple batteries in parallel) and the ground so that every charging source and ever load run through the shunt. The only thing that should be connected to the battery negative terminal(s) is the shunt. The other side of the shunt connects to frame/ground. Connect the inverter to a convenient frame/groud,  no need to put it directly where the shunt connects to the frame/ground.

bill dean said:
500A is what the shunt its rated for. I kind of figured everything should go though the shunt.

Yep, everything does go through the shunt but all the negative side of loads and charging sources all connect to the frame/ground along with the frame/ground side of the shunt. When a load is called for on the positive side of the battery all power flows through the negative/shunt and is recorded. When a charging source is turned on that power goes to the positive and ground is made through the shunt and recorded as amps returned. If any loads or chargers were connected directly to the battery negative  post along with the battery side of the shunt they wouldn't get recorded when going out or in. They would be bypassing the shunt.

If you haven't  bought the shunt/Trimetric yet get the 500 amp shunt. Your Samlex surge is 2000 watts and it may be momentary but ...2000 watts divided by 12 volts = 166 amps. A 100 amp shunt may carry it but it may not be good for it so get a 500. I have a spare 100 :)

1000 watts divided by 12 v = 83 amps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom