Tire Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvannie23

Does anyone know of a mobile tire installer? I want to purchase five new tires but I would prefer someone comes out to my spot and installs them, instead of hauling the camper to a shop. Is this even doable? I was always under the impression there was a special machine used to get a new tire on the rim. Am I totally off the mark on that one?

I have googled around for whats in my area but I would rather know beforehand if its even a possibility

Mobile tire installers are all over the map.. If you can not find one check with the local State Police Dispatch center... We used to keep a list in my day 24 hour too (NOTE: That list was ONLY the 24 hour ones and they can be more costly)

Also. let your fingers do the walking NOT YOUR MOUSE, through the genuine PRINT edition of the Yellow Pages.

The machinery to mount a tire on a wheel is not so large or heavy that mobile service trucks cannot carry it.  Big rig tires are often changed at the roadside or in a campground. Balancing may be a different story, though. Big tires are often balanced with beads inside the tire, but smaller size tires usually get spin-balanced (another machine).

For smaller tires, less than 19.5" diameter, there may be an additional service charge to come to your site. 

Check the truck tires shops in your area.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The machinery to mount a tire on a wheel is not so large or heavy that mobile service trucks cannot carry it.  Big rig tires are often changed at the roadside or in a campground. Balancing may be a different story, though. Big tires are often balanced with beads inside the tire, but smaller size tires usually get spin-balanced (another machine).

For smaller tires, less than 19.5" diameter, there may be an additional service charge to come to your site. 

Check the truck tires shops in your area.

Thank you. This is what I was unsure about...I did find a business in the area that services 18 wheelers and has some reviews from RVers as well I just didnt want to call up and sound ridiculous. I have st225/75r15d tires, which I believe are 28.28 in. diameter so this may be limiting. I will call and ask.

John...I will be honest I haven't seen a yellow pages book since I was about 6  :-X are they still in print?

You might consider jacking the trailer and taking two at a time in to your tire dealer.  Did that the first time.  Second time I simply pulled the trailer in

Do you already have the tires or do you plan to buy them from the installer?

This is a 3 step process.  Remove tires from the RV and then remove old tire, mount new tire and balance.  Then reinstall the tires.

As Gary stated, the required equipment can be brought to you.  You can take the camper to a dealer with permanently attached equipment.  You can remove the tires and take them to a dealer.  The price for moble service will be the most expensive.  Get prices on both and see if the convenience is worth the price.

UPDATE: Ordered the tires through the tire shop. They are going to come out and install them for $90.

Thanks everyone.

Yes the yellow pages are still printed.. YP.com is out there too but I find sometimes the print edition is faster.

When I was working that's how we made our list.. We went through the yellow pages and called each company advertising 24 hour Truck Tire Service.

Last time I had a flat (A few months ago) I found the local tire store and ask them, they gave me a reference GMC Tire somewere near where I was parked (Clio, MI Moose lodge) Since my RV is a Workhorese Custom Chassis (GM Spinoff) I thought that was just the 2 man company to do the job. and do it they did, and very well too.. Fun thing is this. IN another post I mentioned my 12 ton air/hydraulic jack.. Got it at Harbor Freight back in 2005.

His was a bit newer.. but same jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom