Glass is loose in driver and passenger side windows. Winnie, Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AStravelers

I have a 2006 Winnebago Sightseeer, 29R Class A motorhome.  Over the last 4 months, on both the driver side and the passenger side windows, the glass pane has come loose from the rubber gasket holding it in the frame.  The drivers side has come so loose you can slide the glass up, down, left and right about 3/8? to 1/2?.  So far the passenger side has only slipped down a little.  Duct tape is holding the glass in place.

There will be pictures towards the bottom of this posting, but first my questions:

?  Can I just buy a new rubber gasket and slip it in place around the glass?
?  Or will I have to remove the whole window frame, separate the inside and outside frames to replace the gasket?
?  Where can I get a new gasket? 
?  Any other suggestions about what to do?

(No, I am not going to take caulking and squeeze it into the frame to hold the glass in place.)

The images below are:
-- Drivers side window
-- Passenger side window
-- The gasket pulling away from the glass in the lower corner
-- End view of the gasket. The left side is the outside edge of the gasket.
-- Side view of the outside edge of the gasket.

Attachments

• 4 Drivers Side (Med Small).jpg
    4 Drivers Side (Med Small).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 5 Passenger Side (Small).jpg
    5 Passenger Side (Small).jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 6 closeup of corner (Med Small).jpg
    6 closeup of corner (Med Small).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1 End view (Small).jpg
    1 End view (Small).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 2 Outside View (Small).jpg
    2 Outside View (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 26
A follow up with my fix for the loose glass in the window frame.  See the original post for details of the problem.

My eventual solution was to order the rubber gasket or seal which goes around the glass and replace it.  Easier said than done!  There was no way to work the gasket all the way around the glass.  Even taking the frame apart didn't appear as though it would help.  The groove the gasket and glass fits in doesn't split apart. 

My final solution was to work the gasket across the bottom of the glass and then use clear window sealant caulking from Lowes/Home Depot and squeeze the sealant into the gap between the glass and the frame on both the inside and outside.

To support and position the glass, I used a suction cup glass puller/holder like this: https://www.amazon.com/Qadira-Premium-Quality-Aluminum-Professional/dp/B01G5K7XL2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526555994&sr=8-3&keywords=suction+cup+glass+lifter

First, it took over 30 minutes to work the rubber gasket across the bottom part of the glass.  I didn't use the sealant across the bottom, but used the rubber gasket instead, because all the weight of the glass presses on the sealant and would allow the glass to settle down and leave a gap at the top.

After installing the rubber gasket, I used pieces of the gasket material to push in between the glass and the frame on both the inside and outside of the glass to center the glass in the frame.  This is necessary so I could squeeze the sealant into the gap between the glass and the frame.  After letting the sealant cure for about 24 hours I removed the small pieces of the gasket material and squeezed the sealant into the small gaps to complete the job.

Glad you got it resolved.  Are those electric windows?  My driver side window is electric and struggles a bit going up.  I'm not looking forward to any problems.  However, it's in a door and I'm hoping that any fix is similar to an automobile. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom