Gas Buddy revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope.  Is there anything good or bad about it?  Do you think we should check it out?  I probably have had a ad for it breeze by my phone or email and just ignored it.

I looked into the Pay feature but once it said to "securely link your checking account" I decided it was not for me.  Would like to see gas stations accept Apple Pay in the near future instead.

I looked at it, but other than not wanting a third-party to have access to my checking account, I save more than GasBuddy's 5 cents per gallon by paying with my 5% fuel rebate PenFed Visa Cash Rewards card. At $2 per gallon, the GasBuddy price would be $1.95. With PenFed Visa, it's $1.90...

JakeR said:
I looked into the Pay feature but once it said to "securely link your checking account" I decided it was not for me.  Would like to see gas stations accept Apple Pay in the near future instead.

Yep. That is kinda the hitch for me, as well. Giving anyone automatic access to my checking account is a brake squealer for me.
I have Paypal payments set up for a couple of regular vendors, and I get an email whenever they initiate a transaction.
The Bank offers no such alerts.

"Securely Link My Checking Account"????? I always appreciate a good joke! ;D    I mean, yes the power company and a few other carefully selected, but an online APP?????

We have set it up and have used it 2 or 3 times so far without any problems. You get an immediate email showing the amount of your discount and what will be debited from your checking. We have almost all of our payments set up direct debit, so I check my account often and don?t have a big concern with the card debiting our account.

What we don?t like about it are the limits they have set. We put a larger fuel tank in our truck and it takes quite a bit to fill it up. They have a $75 daily limit and $300 weekly limit and won?t make any exceptions. So depending on when we stop to fuel, that may only be about half a tank.

Vicki

shorts said:
We have set it up and have used it 2 or 3 times so far without any problems. You get an immediate email showing the amount of your discount and what will be debited from your checking. We have almost all of our payments set up direct debit, so I check my account often and don?t have a big concern with the card debiting our account.

What we don?t like about it are the limits they have set. We put a larger fuel tank in our truck and it takes quite a bit to fill it up. They have a $75 daily limit and $300 weekly limit and won?t make any exceptions. So depending on when we stop to fuel, that may only be about half a tank.

Vicki

Thanks.
Even if I get past the checking account access, those limits would be a problem. I can hit 80-100 bucks in a day with current gas prices in the West and the North, when we are on a cross country trip. I don't need to add to things I need to plan for.

We found another limitation yesterday when we tried to use the card. Most of the time we have to use the truck diesel lanes to fuel and those pumps usually do not allow you to pay at the pump. The GasBuddy card only works at the pump. You can?t pay inside. So I guess it will mostly only get used after we are parked somewhere for awhile.

Vicki

Back
Top Bottom