3 Days of colder nights and then leaving for warmer climate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tseyigai

I'm asking for some sound advice here. A few days ago I mentioned that we're going south to Texas on Sunday, as the temps in Colo. Spgs, and Monument get down to below freezing, particularly on Thursday through Sat. night at around 21, 26, & 30 respectively on those days. Some think I don't need to worry but a Keystone rep thought I should blow the pipes out or use the anti-freeze even for those three days. It gets up into the mid-forties and fifties during those days. Thoughts of just wrapping the pipes as a temporary solution? Thoughts? Thanks.So again, I asking for some sound advice here. A few days ago I mentioned that we're going south to Texas on Sunday, as the temps in Colo. Spgs, and Monument get down to below freezing, particularly on Thursday through Sat. night at around 21, 26, & 30 respectively on those days. Some think I don't need to worry but a Keystone rep thought I should blow the pipes out or use the anti-freeze even for those three days. It gets up into the mid-forties and fifties during those days. Thoughts of just wrapping the pipes as a temporary solution? Thoughts? Thanks.

I just drained my pipelines, for now. That should be sufficient for temporary cold, I think.

Though, it should be noted, this is only my opinion, and if I am wrong, and the pipes get damaged, you may not be covered under manufacturer's warranty for the repairs. And I offer no warranty on my opinions.

A lot depends on your rig. If the water lines/utility bay are in a heated area, then all you need to do (other than unhooking the water line from shore) is to keep your furnace on, set for at least 45-50?. If any of that is exposed, or if you aren't running the furnace, then I'd give strong consideration to winterizing, even for three days. With the forecast temps you mentioned it'll be below freezing more than just a couple of hours during the night, especially the first two.

And in Colorado, as in many other places, the forecast for an airport or for downtown (the usual TV forecast areas), doesn't mean that your area will match. I'm just off I-25 in the north Denver metro area, and I'm often 7-15? below the forecast (though we have occasional matches and once in a while my reading is higher).

Winterizing is a LOT less trouble, even just as a precaution, than fixing things that burst from freezing.

The tanks won't freeze overnight at those temperatures, but exposed water lines might. Disconnecting and draining the water hose, then blowing out the lines, takes all of 10 minutes. Not much work for the peace of mind.

As to an earlier comment, frozen pipes definitely aren't a warranty item.

LarsMac said:
I just drained my pipelines, for now. That should be sufficient for temporary cold, I think.

Probably not. Just opening the drains without blowing out the lines is not sufficient. Any remaining water can freeze and expand, damaging the lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom