Singles in RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhonda 2

I've noticed this board, and indeed RV parks seem to be for couples. Are there many singles who addopt the rv lifestyle? And if so, how and where do ther operate? I a newby here- first time post.

Here in the past there have been a few singles that have been on the forum, however they don't seem to be plentiful.  Perhaps some will wiew your message and contribute something.  Welcome to the forum and please check the Library for vital info.  Good luck

Rhonda 2 said:
I've noticed this board, and indeed RV parks seem to be for couples. Are there many singles who addopt the rv lifestyle? And if so, how and where do ther operate? I a newby here- first time post.

Welcome to the RV Forum, Rhonda. A former member here, CJ Allen, started a great Yahoo Singles group several years ago. HERE is a link to her group web page. It would be a good place for you to start looking for the various RVing singles groups that are out there. There are a number of very good ones. The nice thing about CJ's group is that it is a place to find out what is going on in the singles RVing world and what activities and groups are available. So from there you can find links to all the OK groups around. She has done an excellent job and service for singles.

You have also come to a good place for "anyone" into RVing here on the RV Forum. There are a number of happy camping singles here, including myself. I have been a member for over 10 years now -- and have "never" felt left out of any activity the forum provides. For example, at the Quartzsite Rally last January, Lorna Reiter invited all the singles attending the Rally to join her and her husband, Ned for dinner in their rig. She has done that each year for the past several years. If I recall, about 6 singles on average have been attending -- as part of the QZ rally attendee list. And as a member, I have never had a problem getting advice, help, finding someone to share dinner or whatever from this group. Some of my closest friends are members here -- some are single, some are not . . .

I have met singles on the road (Or to be more precise in campgrounds) but by the time most folks move out of a stick built house and into an RV... They are couples.  Has to do with demographics.  How many singles in their 50's, how many couples?  Same ratio applies.

My Dad is a single and just bought a big ol 5er and new truck.  He likes to dance, so he tries to plan his trips around that.  There's some big dance festival thing in Louisiana/Alabama every year, and he's been to that and is going again this year.  Otherwise, he likes to go with family (i.e., me), and to go visit family.  He has lots of plans, but making them all reality is a little more work, in reality.  But he loves it and as long as there's dancing somewhere, he'll try and be there.  He does hang out at the Escapees site also, but I don't know much more than that right now.

Hi, This is the dad. I haven't looked into the Escapees singles group yet. Actually haven't joined Escapees yet, but that is on the agenda for this summer. I've got a four day trip planned for Snyder, TX for a "West Texas Western Swing Festival" June 7 - 10. Don't know for sure what after that until Labor Day weekend.

I sent you an e-mail about a couple other singles RV groups. Maybe we'll meet on the road someday.

Ed

This will be my first Swing Festival in Snyder, but the women who told me about it said they had a great time last year. It's in the Convention Center 6, 7, 8, 9, June. I won't get there until the 7th, but I'll be there until the end. Watch for a white-headed guy that doesn't have enough sense to sit one out.

Hey thanks guys- and I'm getting this avodar thing down pat too.

I notice also that the rvers seem to be somewhat older a group- certainly not kids. So, it would seem an appropriate group for me. I see also that these things are expensive- what do you suggest as a starter rig? Maybe something you drive rather than tow.

I see also that these things are expensive- what do you suggest as a starter rig? Maybe something you drive rather than tow.

Rhonda,

As a single woman I would be looking more at motorhomes than trailers.  It's a personal safety issue.  In a motorhome you can stop and fix lunch, for example, without ever leaving the motorhome.  No one can tell if there's another person with you and it's really important in an area that looks dicey.  In a trailer you have to get out of the tow vehicle and walk back to trailer.  This immediately identifies you as a woman traveling alone and potentially sets you up for a negative event.

A small Class A would be nice if you're going to be a full-timer because there's generally more storage in them.  Full-timers have to carry a lot of "stuff" part-timers don't need to worry about, for example tax papers and other paperwork.  You need to consider these things while shopping for your rig.  Also, if you've not been an RVer, you may change your mind about what you like once you've used it for a while.  It's quite common to change RVs as you reorient your thinking.  A good place to look is in the Forum library where there are items on buying a new RV, features to consider, etc.

There are numerous single RVer groups.  Many of these women have devised clever things to make it look like they're not alone, so contact with them should give you some great ideas.

A recent thread in this forum was Best Type RV For Single Women in Newcomers' Corner.  You're not alone in your quest!  ;)

ArdraF

Big thing is how much you willing to spend.  A Class A would be the best , in my opinion, because when pulling into an area for rest or for the night, You don';t have to get out of the unit for any reason, Big safety factor.    @nd  you can tow your driveing vehicle and it doesn't take that long to hook up..  Besides driving an A is easy.

Rhonda 2 said:
I notice also that the rvers seem to be somewhat older a group- certainly not kids.

You do seem to be on target there Rhonda.  I certainly feel like a youngun most times, even though my bones are starting to fight me more and more.  The reasons are obvious, as you get into retirement, you have more time to do this sort of thing.  Right now, since I still have to work, I'm what I refer to as a "weekender".  I take advantage of weekends, primarily 3 day weekends, and other holidays when I can.  I'd love to get out more, and will be there soon.  I just want to be able to be in good enough shape still to do this as often as I want when the time comes, and so far, it's looking good!

Security is a big issue I had not thought of. I never did like the idea of backing a big box into a dark hole, blocking up the wheels and leveling the trailer. Driving in sounds just great. And if this does not solve the security issue, Smith and Wesson will.

Hey everyone. 26 single male here about to be a full timer! I bought my first motorhome a few months ago and have been doing test weekends in it to get comfortable with it before I go full time in June. Ive got a Class A Diesel pusher. Traveling solo is a lot of fun so far and I recommend it to anyone. I like the Class A alot. I was back and forth between a Class A and a B+ but decided to go with a Class A diesel. When you're full timing the extra room really pays off although I still love the designs of some of the B+'s. Looking forward to a great summer of meeting new people and seeing the country. Traveling alone is great. Plenty of time to think , read , catch up with friends on the phone and meet new people. I imagine traveling with a compannion is even better and hopefully I'll meet someone who enjoys RVing as much as me. good to meet everyone.

Brian

Hello, great topic. Like Brian above, I am a 25 y/o male flying solo. Have always loved the outdoors- camping fishing, and being able to do what I please. The RV lifestyle is a perfect fit for me. I have been living aboard my class A for 7 months here in San Diego CA. I got a lot more for my money going this route than an apartment or house for that matter in our market.

I can say that doing this required some lifestyle adjustments, but all worth it. As far as being single, I am a happy and independant person, but would like to meet someone who "gets" what this is all about!

While I am a tad older than the two posters above, I too am a single rv'r.  I am not full timing but spend as much time in my coach as I can.  Granted, many rv's are occupied by couples and families but I have still found them to all be approachable and friendly.  More often than not I am invited to spend an evening by a neighbors campfire telling stories and just having a good time.

After my son got into his teen years and I asked him if he wanted to go camping and he said no, I cried for nearly a 1/2 second. I enjoy the solitude ( I can take a nap when ever I want  ;D ).  Give it a whirl........life is not a practice round.....you have to go for the gusto and enjoy it.

I?m a single 50 year old male I?ve been divorced x 2 and I hope to do a 18 month tour of Mexico ,The US & Canada then move onto Europe for however long it takes.

I?m looking forward to no one been able to take half of my RV off me but l do understand how people must feel going on the road as a single and more so if you?re a woman.

If you do decide to go fulltiming you need a life plan aswell as a budget I love blues music I?m also into fast cars and I hope to write a book some day so I will meet and talk to people at concerts clubs , race tracks  etc as you would do if you were a single person who lived in a house.

You have to have a life plan as a single

Paul

Back
Top Bottom