Singles in RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm 52' and RV's are the only home I want. Apartments are too loud, cost to much and never get paid for. My neighbors are a lot better class of people also. I am NOT nosey but Limey if you just HAVE to visit Mexico, Here in S. Texas is the best place to enter.
Leave the coach on this side of the border and rent a car. You will be safer that way. Travelers checks are the way to go. And credit cards. We have some very nice parks in Corpus Christi, and area. A nice park is about 300.00 a month. My wife passed three years back so It's me and the dog.

The Limey said:
You have to have a life plan as a single

Paul,

I think you need a life plan when you are a couple as well.  Life plans are a good thing whether you are a couple, single or a family.

But since this is a single's topic; when we first got the 35' diesel pusher 6 years ago, I was sure I would take off on my own if something happened to my husband.  I had that much confidence that I could handle the coach and the tow car.  As it is now, I drive it, can back it, and park the darn thing any place.  However, I'm finding that as I get older (I'll be 62 in Sept) that I would be a little hesitant to take off by myself if seomthing happened to my husband.  If I were to go it alone, I would probably scale down to something I felt I could handle alone.  This new feeling kinda surprises me, maybe it's an age thing or a society safety issue.

However, there maybe another factor at work.  My husband is now retired.  When he worked (he was a workaholic) I hooked up the tow car and got everything ready.  I also did most of the driving.  Now that he is home, he hooks up the tow car and does most of the driving.  Maybe this is just an issue of "I haven't done it in a while".  Hummmm....food for thought.

Marsha~

Rhonda 2 said:
I've noticed this board, and indeed RV parks seem to be for couples. Are there many singles who addopt the rv lifestyle? And if so, how and where do ther operate? I a newby here- first time post.

Rhonda,

I would suggest checking out the Escapees Discussion Forum. You don't need to join Escapees to join the forum, and there are several single, divorced, or widowed women who frequent the forum (look for members Cookie, Froggy Donna, and Lee Jacobs to name three).

Here's the link: http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/forums. Good luck!

Walt

I'm 55, just got my first Class A, am fulltiming, and am single. 

I wasn't single until I bought my first Class A. 

I was given a choice...the Class A or me. 

No contest.

The Class A won hands down.

Steve

I'm not sure where this go's so I will put it here. Everyone locks their doors when there "not home" but how many of us lock the door when were there? Not many I suspect. I was talking to a couple monday evening and they told me about a drunk man that opened their door on thier travel trailer and walked right it! The man was drunk they said and was just at the wrong trailer. The couple was scared and I don't blame them. With all the "nuts" in the world today it's something that I thought I would bring to mind. I almost never open the passenger door on my place, so I know it's locked. I get out of the coach most of the time by the side door. I don't keep my side door locked because I have a bad habit of leaving the keys in the ignition switch. I locked myself out one very cold day up north once and getting in was "hard" to say the least. As for me I don't really know if I would shoot someone who walked into my home. But the man that walked into the couples home, it could have been very bad to say the least. I AM going to do my best to lock the doors when I am home. If they are trying to get in at least you have the time to call 911 or conk them in the head with Mom's old cast iron skillet! LOL I was not a member of this great place then, but it came to mind for some reason. Single people think a lot I guess. Wife went home three years ago. Some day I will join her. Hope theres RV's In Heaven!

Saddletramp,

I don't know about others on here, but I certainly lock my door at night, when I go to bed, but during the day, when I'm at home and puttering about or working on the computer, I'll leave it unlocked.

As for RVs in Heaven, well, I can't see it being Heaven without RVs and a FREE GAS card!

Steve

Figured I'd chime in since I am single and often park in downtown areas. I always lock my door at all times, its a natural reaction as soon as I close the door. I also have police grade pepper sprey at my nightstand when sleeping.

Well since i posted that, a couple I was running with told me about something so simple that I wish I had thought of of it. Those magnetic locks that hospital doors use have an alarm when they don't close. If you install one on the door and it is not closed a little buzzer sounds till it locks. 45 seconds is the max time. A reminder to lock your door. They ordered it online and now I have also. Let you all know how it works.

Hi all!  I'm what seems to be a one of a kind hoping that I'm not.
I am a 43yo single mom with two children.
I am looking to take off in the spring and go full-time homeschooling my children along the way.
My kids and I are excited about traveling and I enjoy being single but would prefer to find other single parents to travel with.
So if there are any other single parents out there reading this who feel the same way send me a shout and if our plans can work together then we can caravan our way across America!

I am 62-year old widow, retired business woman who just finished up a stint in the Peace Corps in the Caribbean.  While gone my home as been rented (a good thing) and the renters want to stay (and continue to pay my mortgage) so that left me 'homeless.'  Now I could have rented an apartment and stayed put or I could have bought a 29', Class C, Minnie Winnie and take off and see the country!  That's exactly what I did.  Tonight will be my 2nd night in my new 'mobile' home.  Tomorrow I start my first road-trip, Tucson to the Florida Keys.  I just have to hop on I-10 and it will take me all the way to Florida.  So far it's great.  My Minnie is easy to drive, big enough for 2, so perfect for one.  Feel fairly secure - do not plan to boondock or overnight in rest areas - only campgrounds.  I guess I like the 'niceties' that a campground offers and then I'm surrounded by couples in big 'pushers'.  I always let someone know where I'm spending the night. I have a Blackberry that let me texts, get my email, check the web, etc. and an AirCard for my laptop so I can always be connected to the www anytime without having to find a campground with wifi or a coffee house.  I have 90 days to get back to NC to register and get plates for  my coach (and pick up my golf clubs).  Have already been applying for work/camp jobs for the summer in the west.  Rhonda-feel free to email me directly if you have specific questions this newbie can answer.

Re

Sounds like a great life you have planned out. Keep traveling and enjoying yourself. Don't forget to pick up your America the Beautiful pass for discounts and free admission at federal campgrounds and sites.

Wendy
Pismo State Beach

"I just have to hop on I-10 and it will take me all the way to Florida. "

BORING! Get off the interstate and onto the 2 lane roads. Zig-zag. You don't need to rush across the country as Pancake Bill did to get to a job in AZ from FL.

You could take in Carlsbad caverns NM, McDonald observatory in western TX, the TX hill country including Fredricksburg, the Alamo in San Antonio has already been mentioned. The farthest east spot that comes to mind is the Tabasco sauce factory in LA.

Rhonda,

I am a single woman and traveled 2 months last year from the east coast to the west coast 7000 miles.  I never really felt unsafe in my class A, which is why I bought it.  Everyone thinks a man is driving you around anyway.  You can even wear a hat and make them think you are a man!

Mine has leveling jacks, and I don't really use them unless I'm stopping for a few days, so I don't have to get out for that.  Most campgrounds are pretty level on concrete.  I do have dogs with me and a few times, I was scared walking them at night.  But, I recommend having a dog with you.  I think a lot of things are probably more fun with another person, but since I haven't found a person I want, I am content traveling alone.  There are usually a lot of nice camping people around but it does attract some older codgers who dog us young "over the hill kids" :) but I just learned to ignore them and their 200 grand coaches.  Mostly what I found to be a pain was that once on the road, having to get up to get something or turn off something you forgot is a major pain.  It's not easy to pull a rig over and it takes extra gas to pull over, get "whatever" and get moving again.  That would be easier done with a helper.  And I did breakdown and had to be towed, so keep that in mind...always have a service to help you.  (not AAA, but an RV service policy)

I will tell you that I camped everywhere, at walmarts, rest stops, empty parking lots and at truck stops.  A few times I had to move to feel safer but I never had to get out to do it, so I would stick with a motorhome as a single.  When someone knocked on my door, I opened the window, just like home and took it from there.  The major thing about a motorhome is that people let them sit(and ruin).  I drive mine every two weeks at least 40 miles.  I never let it sit for long.  I take it on a trip to the store or something.  Good luck!

but it does attract some older codgers who dog us young "over the hill kids" [Smiley] but I just learned to ignore them and their 200 grand coaches.

Hey - some of us here resemble that remark!  ;) ;) ;)  But I don't think I have "dogged" anybody either.

ReAnn: I dno't know what the tax situation is in NC, but you may want to consider registering your MH in Florida.

Rhonda,

I've been fulltiming single for almost a decade.  Folks are right about the optimum safety rig being a motorhome with a toad.  However, I decided that so far I would rather not have two actual vehicles to repair, maintain and insure. (Especially if the motorhome has to go into the shop for any length of time.)

I have a travel trailer pulled by a pickup truck.  I'd like to get a moped or scooter for quick trips.  The only thing I'd do different (and still plan to do) is get a 4WD pickup with a shorter wheelbase for those off-road explorations I love so much.  I tend to stay out of RV parks and citites.  I really liked the summer I had a small pickup camper and towed a small 4WD, but I need a larger rig to live in full time.

I am aware of safety concerns, but don't obsess about it.  I listen to my gut when it tells me not to park somewhere.

There are plenty of RV clubs for singles.  You only have to travel alone as much as you want to.  Look up Wandering Individuals Network for non-senior singles.  The Escapees has a Boomers group that is really great.  I do suggest you join Escapees.  It is a pretty thorough network. RVing Women is just for women of all ages.

Too hot to close the outer door?  Make a simple lock for your screen door.  There are several ways to do it and you will frustrate the intruder who gently tries your screen door.  You can also get solar and 12v motion sensors for your rig.

I enjoy my own company and usually have a great time by myself.  I am not particularly shy, so can meet others well if I want to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom