map app for phone that you can change the top MPH you go.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skeeter_ca

I was wondering if anyone knew of a Map app for the phone that you could change the max speed you go. The times are always way off when i go 60mph on freeways with 70+ mph speed limits. Especially when mapping long distances.

skeeter

skeeter_ca said:
I was wondering if anyone knew of a Map app for the phone that you could change the max speed you go. The times are always way off when i go 60mph on freeways with 70+ mph speed limits. Especially when mapping long distances.

I?ve wondered the same thing, also same question regarding RV GPSs.

When I?m planning a trip I just figure 50mph against the mileage but would be nice to have more accurate ETAs enroute

SeilerBird said:
My Garmin GpSs have always given an arrival time and it changes depending on the speed you are traveling.

Hmm... also have a Garmin, not sure I?ve noticed that. I?d have to assume some calculation takes place based on speed limits along the way, otherwise if it only used current speed would be wildly inaccurate in some cases (ex: currently doing 65 but next 200 miles has 45 mph limit).

It is accurate down to the minute so it is using complex algorithms to arrive at their conclusions. It is not very obvious where to find this info at first. I am using a Garmin 2657 so your might be different. In the lower right hand corner of the screen are three short parallel lines which in computer speak means menu usually. Click on that and you get a pop out coming from the right side of the screen. It has places for three different numbers to be displayed. You can click on each area and select the info to be displayed. Mine is set to display current time, arrival time and elevation (very important in Florida so you don't get a nose bleed ;D).

My Garmin 760RV  does a good job on ETA, but I have only used it without the RV.  Basically, it uses speed limits and distances along the route to estimate arrival time with no stops.  It constantly updates based on current location and current time.  When I drive 75 on the interstate, the ETA gets earlier by about 5 min per hour.  If I stop for 20 minutes for gas, the time extends 20 min.

Of course it is always accurate when we arrive, but that time may differ from the initial displayed ETA by an hour or more.

I do not know if I can set the speeds used for these ESTIMATED time of arrival calculations.

My Garmin dezl 560 does a bit better than Gordon's, but is also somewhat dependent on which roads (this always in the RV). The ETA (on a whole day's trip) usually starts at a figure that, barring stops (which go just as Gordon's do) is within a handful of minutes of the ETA shown when 5 or 10 minutes from the destination, and it's right on. So over a 9 hour day (for example) it might change as little as 10 minutes plus the allowance for stops. And I suspect that the biggest difference is allowance for stop and start times, traffic delays, etc. I've definitely noticed it change as little as one or two minutes in a tow to three hour time frame, when no stops or traffic problems were encountered.

So it's certainly more than accurate enough for me.

SeilerBird said:
My Garmin GpSs have always given an arrival time and it changes depending on the speed you are traveling.

Google Maps does the same thing. They estimate your time using known speed limits, and assume you would be going that speed. When you go faster/slower it adjusts. Haven't you ever noticed your ETA drop when you hit 80 for a good stretch?

Don't think anyone would want to build that feature into an app. Sounds like a good way to get sued..."well the app told me if I went 95 I would make it in three and a half hours..."

rvannie23 said:
Haven't you ever noticed your ETA drop when you hit 80 for a good stretch?

Nope, never go 80.  ;)

rvannie23 said:
Don't think anyone would want to build that feature into an app. Sounds like a good way to get sued..."well the app told me if I went 95 I would make it in three and a half hours..."

Pretty sure that's not what OP meant, and it definitely wasn't what I meant. I would like a feature where I could cap the speed for estimating. Using your "80" for example (which we saw several times on our last trip but of course did not do), I'd like a setting where I could cap the speed ("this fast, or the speed limit, whichever is less"). I'd set 65 in TX let's say, and 55 in CA. I've seen curvy country roads where I know there's no way I'm going to exceed 35-40, but the speed limit is 55.

Not a huge deal. We typically launch and my SO announces shortly thereafter, "We'll be there at 2:30". To which I typically respond, "Not even close, probably 4-4:30" and I'm usually within 30 minutes. Just be nice if the GPS could be tuned for a speed more conservative than the limit.

I see what you mean now, but could be used maliciously by others. It should still adjust to your average speed overall and give a better time. What would be nice is if you could input that you were hauling something or length of vehicle, and then for example in California it would automatically estimate at 55mph since thats the speed limit for towing, or estimate the extra time you would need on steep hills.

on another note, 80mph is perfectly acceptable in Texas where a lot of roads are 75mph. Not with a trailer or in a motorhome of course.

We came across West TX on I-10 this Fall where the speed limit is 80MPH. We travel 63-65 mph in the m/h and neither Garmin nor Google gave arrival times that we could acheive. Back east where the speed limits are 65 mph or less both are right on.

I am quite sure they are using speed limits to compute their estimates.

The rand mcnally has an adjustable eta. You hit more or less eta and it adjusts to your driving habits.
You have to do this over a few trips to get it close.
If you note the time when you start it will be close to the actual time in the end(as long as you don't make out of the ordinary stops).
Other than that it is allways adjusting as you drive.It can be set to show time arrival or time to go.

How did we manage to get ANYWHERE using paper maps, let alone get there on time?  And yet we (some of us) did! (or close, at least)  :)!!!

I customize the view on my GPS to show miles to go, not time to destination. With that information I can determine when I will arrive. I know my average speed, when I will take breaks, when I stop for fuel, etc. No way would I ever be able to enter all that into a GPS.

UTTransplant said:
I customize the view on my GPS to show miles to go, not time to destination. With that information I can determine when I will arrive. I know my average speed, when I will take breaks, when I stop for fuel, etc. No way would I ever be able to enter all that into a GPS.

I was always under the impression that the GPS is constantly recalculating the arrival time every few milliseconds based on the current speed and the distance to go. It 'marks time' when stopped for breaks (unchanging lat. and long.) etc. If such is the case, there would be no need to manually enter breaks, stops, average speed,etc. These are all taken into account by the GPS. (If you do not set a destination, then, of course, this calculation is not possible). This was also true on my sailboat where the speed/direction is ever changing, it is seldom a somewhat straight line from one place to another unlike a road map.

My Garmin's (somewhat select-able display) shows me time of arrival, miles to go , my actual speed, change of colour of the speed display when over the speed limit (where available) and altitude above sea level when desired. The speed display was very useful up till now as the speedometer in the vehicle was fixed in Kilometers/hour (very tiny mph marked) and when traveling south of the border, actual MPH was good to know. In my new vehicle the car display is changeable from (Km traveled to Miles traveled) and to KM/hr to MPH. No more fast calculations in my head needed. (Canadian eh?)

We were in Canada recently, I got the feeling from watching traffic blow by me that the speed limits were just recommendations?

Heh, heh, yeah, sometimes but don't forget the speeds are all in Km/hour; 100 km/hr = ~60 MPH. That won't explain/justify them blowing by you though.

My co-pilot is constantly reminding me of changing speed limits, even better than the GPS!!! 8)

Too much reliance on technology!

I know from experience that I'm going to average about 50 mph when pulling my toy hauler. This accounts for fuel stops, etc. If my destination is 500 miles away, I know that it is going to take me approximately 10 hrs to get there.  It's simple math, people!

The one that came with mine even audible tells me when I am going over the speed limit.  We laugh sometimes, others we slow down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom