Leveling Blocks: One or both axles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msw3113

Until I can save enough allowance to buy an automatic self-leveling system for our dual-axle 15k lb 5th wheel (probably not in my lifetime) I use a combination of long wooden planks that fit under both wheels on the low side of the site to achieve side-to-side leveling.

I saw a similar 5th wheel use a combination of shorter blocks under only one wheel and it got me wondering whether I'm overdoing the leveling task. 

Is it safe to lift only one wheel for leveling purposes?  Seems like it would be easier, but is it safe to block up only one wheel?  Is any harm likely to befall the suspension if only one wheel gets lifted?

I wouldn't go to a extreme in difference between axles. There is a good amount of movement in dog bone before you start putting all the weight on one axle. I some times pull one tire onto a tapered edge piece of 1 1/2 thick plywood and some times pull both axles onto on 5 ft long x 10 wide x 1 1/2 in thick pc of plywood.  Sometimes I end up with a short piece on top of the long piece which puts one of the tires up 3 inches and the other 1 1/2. I found plywood glued and screwed together last far long than 2 x.

X2. I usually only lift one wheel 1 1/2". If I need to go higher to get level, I put another 1 1/2" board under the other wheel.  I have 2 boards 8" wide and 2' long. I also have 2 boards 8" wide and 1' long. On all 4, the ends are cut at a 45 degree angle on both ends.  These boards will get me up 3" if I use all 4. If I'm still out of level, I'll dig holes for the wheels on the opposite side.

We use thick rubber stall mats we got at tractor supply that we cut into about 8x12 pieces. They are about an inch thick, and we stack them up according to the height we need, kinda like leggos.  We make a little ramp with them I back up onto, then if we need a little more I pull forward, she adds another inch,, I back up the ?ramp? and check for level until we are good. We store the pieces in a milk crate in the back of the truck. We put them under both axles. We saw it on u-tube.

Here ya go...simple, lightweight, waterproof, supports even the heaviest of trailers, and will lift the trailer up to 4".  I bought a set last fall and couldn't be happier.......

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Andersen-Hitches-3604-2-Pack-Camper-Leveler-Chock-Kit-Best-Camper-Leveling-Kit-RV-Leveling/191135730

I see no problem in putting a SINGLE PLANK under one axle but not the other.

Or a stack of planks where one wheel has one more plank.

But I'd not go more than 2 plank different.

Had one poor guy having all sorts of issues getting his trailer properly planked.  Finally I told him to get it level, then We'd pick it up and center the plank properly under the tires.. I can only pick up 12 tons.

He looked at me kind of strange..... till I returned with the 12 ton air/hydraulic jack and compressor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom