Grand Junction, CO to St. George, UT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Last year we drove I 15 down from Montana to St. George. Not a lot of mountain passes. Wondering how the Grand Junction, Colorado to St. George I 70 and over to I 15 is. I am thinking not a lot of Mountain passes, however, never been on that section of road.

We will be doing this end of Feb. beginning of March, depending on Mother Nature..
thanks,

Need to plan to get out of this cold country!

There?s a long section of ups and downs on I-70 between Green River and Salina but nothing to stress over.

It's a good road and we take it often.  The section of I-70 that Wendy mentioned traverses the San Rafael Swell which is a very interesting geological formation.  You'll be going up and down a lot for miles at a time but it's nothing to be concerned about.  Use your best braking techniques going down and your best hill-climbing techniques ascending.  That section is 100 miles long so be sure you have plenty of fuel going across it.  There's no cell service except at rest areas.  Also the rest areas have interesting signs telling you what you're looking at.  One time some of us stopped at every rest area on our way to Moab and it was both fun and informative.

ArdraF

There is a fairly long 6% to 7% grade going up the San Rafael Swell about 30-50 miles west of Green River.  Be sure to gear down and keep your RPM's up around 3500 to 4000 to keep the engine and transmission from overheating. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom