I don't see a surge protector in my coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not surprising so keep stimulating the economy and get a nice Progressive industries hard wire and get away before the snow hits up there. :)

SeilerBird said:
I have never seen or heard of an RV coming with a surge protector.

Some do.  My Country coach has a hard wired surge protector that will also manage the load and shed loads if there is not sufficient power.

HueyPilotVN said:
Some do.  My Country coach has a hard wired surge protector that will also manage the load and shed loads if there is not sufficient power.
I am sure the top end coaches do like Prevost, but I have never heard of one until now.

All the American Coach models have them (and a power line monitor too) as standard and have for well over a decade. Many Fleetwood models now have them as well. At least some of the Winnebago diesels,  e.g. the Tour, have them, and have had them for several years at least. Probably some others too.

For whatever reason, Newmar seems to leave power monitoring and surge protection as an owner option. It's easy enough to add at the dealer in if a buyer wants it, and no particular technical advantage to making it factory standard.  Perhaps they feel that high dollar coaches typically go where power is solid, or they use their genset or inverter anyway.

Read the literature that came with your transfer switch. Some transfer switches will not connect to shore power unless the voltage is correct and have a surge protector built in.

My 2005 Holiday Rambler did not until I pulled into an Rv park in Arizona and and had a surge as soon as I plugged in. Finally got it corrected with no damage, but about $340.00 later I felt much better adding the 50 amp surge protector for protection.

Is it combined with the transfer switch like Winnebago does?  They use a TRC Surge-Guard 41260.  There is a fancier Surge-Guard that does more functions (40350-RVC) but the 41260 does most of the critical protection.

Attachments

• surge.JPG
    surge.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom