Winter, uck, remove silicone shampoo? Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Wondering for you unfortunate souls like us... I just looked at next week temps. Up here in Montana... thought we would get another trip in... but not going to happen before this miserable cold comes. Rv is winterized but I am wondering does everyone remove all but kitchen sink. Ha.. when rv in cold storage?

I am referring to shampoo, silicone, rv liquid wash, laundry soap cubes, olive oil, etc etc.... small propane bottles for table stove....
I know some of you just say take it south now... I am working on that... got 30 days relief last year and looking at maybe 60 this year...in the rv...

We're part of the "still working" crew here, too! Columbus Day weekend was our last. Ironically the next two weekends here were over 70* but we just could not go. :( We're all winterized and packed away.
All food comes out along with shower supplies, and anything that could freeze (or just does not need to be in there). Plates, silverware, pots & pans, etc. all stay. I do leave 1# propane bottles in an outside compartment along with all the hoses, rugs, chairs, etc.

We winterize then remove everything...so essentially the same as it came new.  We also pull off bedspread, take pillows in, etc.

One reason is to protect affected items from freezing.  The other reason we remove things (pillows/bedspread) is it is less for mice to eat should they get in.  Last year an acquaintance had his 3 year old TT totaled (13K in damage) when a rat got in.

Anything that has water in it is going to get bigger than the container  ;)

Spring Creek said:
The other reason we remove things (pillows/bedspread) is it is less for mice to eat should they get in.  Last year an acquaintance had his 3 year old TT totaled (13K in damage) when a rat got in.

Was it a rat or mice?
For mice, build a mouse bucket trap and you'll be able to leave everything in the rig. Just use  pink antifreeze instead of water. Clean them out in the spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF6xwUSkT1k

In my experience,pink antifreeze can evaporate, while cooking oil, vegetable oil, etc. will not.

Things that don't have any water content won't expand as they freeze, but some of those things can still suffer freeze damage or dehydration at very cold temperatures. A liquid or gel may crystallize and not return to its former state, or may evaporate at a faster rate than during the summer when it is more humid.  Some canned goods have substantial water, so the containers could burst.

And critters do get into things after they find a winter home.

Camped last weekend here in Chicago. I regretfully think it may be the last of the year.

Just pulled everything out except hard plastic and steel. All liquid, food, and fabric removed. I wish I had somewhere to store the mattresses in my home.

Back
Top Bottom