removing boards around tv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

standardbred1

hey everyone,
I am thinking of removing the boards/shelving around the tv in our RV. We have a Hideout 38FQTS. They come out of the wall and form a few cabinets above and along the sides of the tv and a radio below it. my hubby wants to do this so he can put in his 60'' tv... I know too big! But he is determined to make it work. There will be a shelf above the radio that will give the tv added support. Has anyone ever done this before? I think the tv may be too big, am worried about putting in a mounting bracket on the wall as it may be to heavy but like i said the shelf will bear most the weight of the tv. His plan is to mount it to the wood studs within the wall. What do you think??

Attachments

• unit_photo_201606210307337454080189.JPG
    unit_photo_201606210307337454080189.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 50
I knew my 42 was too small. If it has room I'd do it. I couldn't catch studs but I was able to bolt through the wall and just under a bath wall cabinet. I used fender washers and acorn nuts. It's been riding there for 2 years. I got tired of taking it down and laying it on the bed.

too big?
no way!  Sounds like he has the project well in hand....

My only suggestion is to remind him to be careful when doing demo work, in case there is plumbing or electrical wiring in that wall....
then get out of the way and let him at it!  ;D

Seriously though, these new tv's are extremely light weight.  Nothing like TV's of the old days.....
My only concern would be the storage you'd be loosing...but honestly, it would prob be easy enough to make new shelves built in under, over or around the new big screen!

adding to his idea.... he could take a que from our floor plan.  Thor made the TV on a swinging mount actually be the door for a full depth kitchen cabinet behind.  I think it's a great solution for small spaces....

I can't find a picture of mine, but found this one online so you can kinda see what I mean....

search "Thor 31L TV"

Attachments

• tv.jpg
    tv.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for the idea! I will pass that picture onto him. He has a stud finder so I am hoping we wont have any issues there. The bathroom and shower is right behind that wall too so its a little nerve wracking! Makes me feel a little better that you dont find the size of the tv to be an issue! It is a fairly new tv and you are right, they do make them a lot lighter nowadays!
Im not too concerned about loss of space, as we dont have much "stuff" around, we dont like clutter! Also our RV will be stationary for at least a year so im not to worried about if we have to travel with it mounted.

standardbred1 said:
Thanks for the idea! I will pass that picture onto him. He has a stud finder so I am hoping we wont have any issues there. The bathroom and shower is right behind that wall too so its a little nerve wracking! Makes me feel a little better that you dont find the size of the tv to be an issue! It is a fairly new tv and you are right, they do make them a lot lighter nowadays!
Im not too concerned about loss of space, as we dont have much "stuff" around, we dont like clutter! Also our RV will be stationary for at least a year so im not to worried about if we have to travel with it mounted.

We are guys, my wife would agree with you, she thought  a 19" led was just fine. :)  Guys would be telling you 72" is fine just squeeze around it when you go past it.

I'm curious as to why folks want such large TV's in their RV's. Maybe I'm just really old school? We have a 39" directly across from the seating in our "C" with a shallow slide. It's almost too big. I detest watching a TV when it's so big when the distance from the seating is close. I feel like a cat watching a tennis game moving my head and/or eyes to see what's going on in different parts of the screen. It's more comfortable for us to be able to see what is going on with participating in an exercise program.

kdbgoat said:
I'm curious as to why folks want such large TV's in their RV's. Maybe I'm just really old school? We have a 39" directly across from the seating in our "C" with a shallow slide. It's almost too big. I detest watching a TV when it's so big when the distance from the seating is close. I feel like a cat watching a tennis game moving my head and/or eyes to see what's going on in different parts of the screen. It's more comfortable for us to be able to see what is going on with participating in an exercise program.
We have a smart TV, so we use it for everything! Watching TV, surf the web, and him and I also use it for work to create powerpoints and write up reports, which happens often . Its basically our computer and our Television. We also hook our phones up to it as well!
We love it!

kdbgoat said:

Because of seating everyone isn't sitting directly across from it and many are probably at an angle and in larger living rooms than a C.  When using it as a monitor size helps a lot. From our dinette it's 16' and my recliner is 8' away  from a 42" .

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-OxrLCZgqTjP/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom