2016 Cambria automatic transfer switch recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micknol

Hi, my 2016 Cambria was part of a recall To Torque the connections on the automatic transfer switch, they could be loose from the factory.  I know mine were torqued to 30 inch lbs, I checked it myself before each trip.  I?m Very familiar with this type of thing, I do industrial maintenance for a living (I work with  Contacts on a regular basis.)

On my trip to Fl  couple weeks, ago the lights in the RV started flickering and went out. I went outside to check the breaker I noticed smoke coming from where the electric cord goes to the automatic transfer switch, the whole switch was smoking. If I wasn?t there I?m afraid the whole rv would have caught on fire.

If you have an automatic transfer switch made  by TRC model 41300  please check it. I checked with Winnebago about this and they said they?re only responsible make sure the electric connections are tight, anything after that is your problem - terrible customer service. Recall need to go further and replace those Defective switches.

edit by staff, added punctuation and paragraphs for reading ease

micknol said:
..... I checked with Winnebago about this and they said they?re only responsible make sure the electric connections are tight, anything after that is your problem - terrible customer service. Recall need to go further and replace those Defective switches....
If the house part of your Cambria is under warranty, Winnebago will replace defective parts. I'm a little confused. Your fasteners were torqued to specifications yet you had an overheat issue. What exactly is the problem with transfer switch?

His 2016 is probably out of warranty by now, but I would contact TRC (Surge Guard) if the ATS failed internally rather than thru loose connections.  It's a pretty basic ATS, but maybe there is a design problem of some sort (though I don't recall any other such reports here).  Perhaps they will have you return it to analyze why it failed.

One reported incident wouldn't usually justify a "recall" of any component, but it probably should be checked out in case there is evidence of a fault that might affect all of the 41300 products.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
His 2016 is probably out of warranty by now, ...
Winnebago is fairly accommodating about extending goodwill repairs when out of warranty by a little bit, especially if the problem is a vendor supplied part.

Another point I'm a bit confused about is did you replace the transfer switch or what?

Yes I replaced the transfer switch myself .  Winnebago directed me to go to Nokomis RV the quickest they could get me and would be two weeks.  No way I can wait that long so I bought the part and did it myself ,  my point being the recall was for loose wires that could cause the transfer switch to catch fire my connections were tight and it  caught fire anyway very dangerous Situation

No Winnebago said that inotherword if the connections are tight and the ats burns up they are not responsible. NHTSA safety recall 16V-598

No Winnebago said that inotherword if the connections are tight and the ats burns up they are not responsible. NHTSA safety recall 16V-598

As far as the existing recall is concerned, that would be totally correct. 16V-598 is about Winnebago's assembly line procedure, not any inherent flaw in the ATS. Winnebago would not replace the ATS under the recall unless the fire was caused by loose connections. Nor would they be responsible for other problems not related to that.

The question here is whether your ATS failed due to a one-of-a-kind component failure or some inherent defect that would cause others to fail in the same way.  No mechanical or electronic component is 100% reliable, and even 99.99% perfection leaves one in 10,000 to fail unexpectedly. TRC would have to determine if there was a greater than expected risk of failure and such failures posed a notable risk to life.  If you feel that is the case and TRC disagrees, you should report the failure to the NHTSA, along with documentation so they can investigate. Making the failed ATS available to NHTSA would be good, too.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I have a 2016 Aspect 27K and my transfer switch almost caught on fire last week. It was connected to a Progressive Dynamics surge protector. The connections had been torqued at the factory when I had it there for service. I will call but it probably won't do any good.

Called Winnebago this morning. They are sending me a new transfer switch and I can file a claim for installation when I find a dealer to work on it. Dealer where I purchased it was bought out by the "Wal-Mart of RV dealers", Camping World, Biloxi, MS, and they decided quickly to drop Winnebago in favor of cheaper brands!

That is good for you, as you won't have to take it back there now.  Our Winnebago was a rescue from a CW.

Back
Top Bottom