Drone noise. ..banks exhaust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstik

So awhile back I purchased a 96 tioga class C. It has a 460 Ford with banks headers and ram air.I have been working thru issues here and there making good progress. One thing I haven't solved yet. In 2nd gear it makes what sounds like an oscillating drone noise till it shifts to high gear then go's away. Bout 60mph comes back,but is just a steady roar.goes away at 65mph comes back at 70mph and gets louder up to 75mph, go's away again at 80mph. There is no vibration in the steering or anywhere, just loud roar. At anytime I lift off the gas,it instantly go's away. So I'm starting to think it could be an exhast roar. So I'm thinking about having the muffler replaced but I don't want to lose the performance from the banks system.

Driveshaft carrier bearing would be my guess, (if it has one)  Typically,  If they are old, they are bad...the rubber support bushing part deteriorates over time .

Not a real expensive part ($40-$60)  but a pain in the butt dirty job to do.

I have a 1996 Southwind with the banks system, ram air, headers. I get the droning type also but just right around 55mph. Goes away about 60mph. I'm sure what I'm getting is some kind of resonance from the exhaust. I did just replaced a carrier bearing that I hope will fix a slight vibration. Just got the bearing on the shaft today, haven't put it back in the MH yet. Not a hard job, a bit dirty because I grease the u joints a lot.

Not sure if a 96 E450 has a catalytic converter or not. If it has a converter and the converter has been gutted you might get excessive exhaust drone. If no converter it should have a resonate just behind the "Y" pipe and no drone as you described.  I suspect the Banks exhaust is not a designed and delivered. MY Banks Power Pack, on my 95 F53 make a slight rumble out the tail pipe but no drone. Have to open the drivers window to hear it. Makes my head very cold in the winter.  ;D

Definitely sounds like you have a resonating exhaust.

Here is a great article on the cause and the cure...
https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/how-build-exhaust-resonator-tube-eliminate-drone-489463/

It will give pointers as to figuring out the correct length of a resonator tube to eliminate the drone.

Good Luck

I had a 2008 F350 dually that had a consistent drone at certain speeds and it drove me crazy.  The Dealer actually said the driveshaft was assembled wrong and it wasn't running true so they replaced it along with the carrier bearing.  It finally ended up being the pinion bearing and gear set, which I believe could have been caused by the bad driveshaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom