AllStays Camp&RV app removed from Google Play!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTTransplant

DH has Android devices and I have Apple devices. We have loved the AllStays app and use it frequently, sometimes sitting across the room checking out alternatives on both types of devices. While trying to download it on a new tablet, he just found out the app is now only available for Apple devices! It has been removed from Google Play, and the AllStays website also says it is only for Apples. What happened? I couldn't find a link anywhere saying why this occurred or a spot on their website to ask. I would like to know if it is a temporary spat or a long-term issue. The app is still on his Android phone, but it doesn't get updates.

BTW, we have tried other campground apps, but AllStays has many more of the public parks, rustic, and dispersed locations than any other single source. RVParky and RV Parks & Campgrounds don't even come close.

Well aint that just a fine kick in the pants?

I just checked, the app on my phone still works....but I don't see it in the playstore

I wonder????

It is a really great app and service.

His reply:
Google banned my free overnight parking data so I had to censor it or as I decided, leave.

The Android app remains in your purchased area for use and reinstalls and just won't get upgrades later on.

Apple and the website continue as normal.

my comment... Oh well, I usually use the online log on anyway for planning, but the app was very useful when on the road

really too bad......

Google does not own the app.  Allstays does. Google just brokers the deal

I have several android apps that only work on SELECTED 'Droids  or work differently depending on the 'droid

Google has nothing to do with it. You are killing the messenger. Go to AllStays web site and only the Apple version is listed.

https://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv.htm

I heard more....
apparently google does have everything to do with it at least in a way

as I am understanding things there are two issues, or maybe one resulted in the other...
1) So what I gather from my email conversation with the developer, he's overlaying his data onto a google map.  And they want to charge him much more for the use of the map than he makes on the app.  Apparently he gets hit a cost for every zoom, pan, and search....to the tune of $1.17 per  So he was working on finding another map source....
2) then a few weeks later they banned his free walmart parking app

So he pulled out to keep from going under.

I hope the developer finds another map supplier so he can get it back on Google Play. As it is, we can use it on my iPad easily, and that is our preferred source anyway.

So what maps is he using for the Apple app version? if not Google maps?  Wouldn't Google charge for the maps regardless of the app version?  I had emailed him last August also because I wanted the Android version and couldn't find it available.  Just responded to me that Google had banned him.  Just wondering?

Linda

blw2 said:
I heard more....
apparently google does have everything to do with it at least in a way

as I am understanding things there are two issues, or maybe one resulted in the other...
1) So what I gather from my email conversation with the developer, he's overlaying his data onto a google map.  And they want to charge him much more for the use of the map than he makes on the app.  Apparently he gets hit a cost for every zoom, pan, and search....to the tune of $1.17 per  So he was working on finding another map source....
2) then a few weeks later they banned his free walmart parking app

So he pulled out to keep from going under.
Something about this doesn't smell right to me.

So what maps is he using for the Apple app version?

He didn't say, but Apple does have a maps app, too.

Something about this doesn't smell right to me.

He did provide some additional info in the email, but has asked that I not post this info for now. But the explanation fits with what I've heard about Google, and it is economics.

Google can and does directly control who markets apps on the Google Play Store and can ban any that don't meet its standards, which includes licensing. They can't ban apps sold via the Apple Store, though. However, if they aren't getting paid the royalties for use of their maps, they can sue the app developer and notify Apple that the app is pirating (not properly licensed).  Apple generally de-lists any improperly licensed software.

As I said previously, we had not heard the whole story. Now we learn that the app doesn't want to pay the royalties that Google charges for use of their maps. Maybe the royalties for this particular situation are steep, but the map owner (Google in this case) can set their fees anyway they want. We get a lot of Google Map usage for free, but they have to pay for it all somehow.

Larry N. said:
He did provide some additional info in the email, but has asked that I not post this info for now. But the explanation fits with what I've heard about Google, and it is economics.
So it is a secret? Smells even worse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom