9" Infotainment GPS Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing problems with my 9" GPS system in my 2017 View J and wanted to post my experiences.

Since new I have had problems with sluggish performance and 'lock-ups' of my GPS. My dealer and Winnebago Customer Service directed me to RiverPark. We updated and replaced numerous cards, swapped out the head unit and installed a new GPS antenna.

Now it does not crash as often but I am still experiencing 'lock-ups' where I get a dialog box that says the unit must be restarted. The lock-ups are random and unfortunately it has occurred when I most needed the guidance.

RiverPark does not know what else to do and had the developer from Europe work with me. The developer in Europe tested the head unit I sent back and said it was working properly. He said not to expect the XITE/RandMcNally to be as fast or smooth as a phone or Garmin because it is a complex system and that occasional 'lock-ups' are to be expected, perhaps once per trip.

I can no longer trust the unit for navigation and I do not know where to go for help, but will keep complaining to whoever will listen. In the meantime I am going to buy a 6" Garmin RV GPS for $290 that IS fast and smooth. Any ideas?

Steve in Iowa
2017 View J

Our Tour has a River Park GPS with all the bells and whistles, and it has always worked well - no problems at all, and it has never locked up once. I think ours has a 7" display though, and I'm sure they've made other "improvements" over the years. If a company rep ever told me that I could expect their GPS to malfunction on every trip, I'd be getting a different GPS. I know that doesn't help fix your current GPS, but if neither Winnie, the GPS manufacturer nor the developer can get it to work, I don't know who could.

Kev

ArtistWithAView said:
.... He said not to expect the XITE/RandMcNally to be as fast or smooth as a phone or Garmin because it is a complex system and that occasional 'lock-ups' are to be expected, perhaps once per trip......
LOL - talk about a BS response. That would be the equivalent of General Motors telling the owner of a basic Chevy with brakes that fail occasionally "you can't expect your brakes to work as well as a Cadillac Escalade." Join the View/Navion Yahoo Group and ask about owner experiences over there.

Yes, B.S. for sure!  And definitely unacceptable.

The GPS systems we've had in our various cars have been so bad that we seldom use them.  We currently have a Garmin Nuvi that is great.  It's on a bean bag and we carry it back and forth between our various vehicles.  That way we also have all our saved places in one GPS unit instead of a couple of cars and the motorhome each having their own database.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
The GPS systems we've had in our various cars have been so bad that we seldom use them.  We currently have a Garmin Nuvi that is great.  It's on a bean bag and we carry it back and forth between our various vehicles.  That way we also have all our saved places in one GPS unit instead of a couple of cars and the motorhome each having their own database.

ArdraF

We have a Garmin Nuvi for in the car and a Garin RV 660 for in the RV. I synchronize them with the Garmin Express software so they both have the same information. Although your solution is faster and simpler of course!

We have an OEM GPS that I've never even turned on. Hertz Neverlost system was the only one that I've seen to work well (and it was actually an addon). They always seem to be out of date and lacking features I want.

Ernie

ArdraF said:
... We currently have a Garmin Nuvi that is great.  ...
We use a Nuvi as a backup to our CoPilot GPS running on a laptop. CoPilot is RV size aware so it won't send you under a low bridge or on a weight restricted road. The Nuvi has been quite good and we keep it updated.

Back
Top Bottom