Help - Need your experience about licensing a tow dolly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvinglizbruce

We have to use a tow dolly for our car - no four wheels down possible. We are confused about whether the tow dolly needs to be licensed. We see no place on any dolly brands for a plate.

Please help with what we need to do????

Thanks Liz and Bruce

rvinglizbruce said:
We have to use a tow dolly for our car - no four wheels down possible. We are confused about whether the tow dolly needs to be licensed. We see no place on any dolly brands for a plate.

Please help with what we need to do????

Thanks Liz and Bruce
Welcome to the forum. I don't know where you are but this has come up before and I know that in Texas you don't need plates for the dolly. I used one for a couple of years. You need to get a dolly with brakes though. Also the lights on the dolly are all that are required. I don't think the dolly is required to be registered any where in the US.
Bill

Welcome to the forum.

No license required in our state or anywhere where we have been.  I just pulled fro WI to TX without a license, no problem.  Who told you you need one?

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

I'm assuming you want to register it in Ohio?

I never used any license on mine.  It would be difficult to see any license on this unless you were towing it without a vehicle.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Few, if any, states require a license or even issue a title for a tow dolly. Check with your state DMV for its laws.

Good thought, but if there are any states with such a law, would it be an issue to tow an unlicensed dolly through that state?

Typically states will abide by the motor vehicle laws of the state you are registered in.  There are exceptions to this, where you have to comply with the state you are travelling in.  Two examples come to mind, in Arizona where I live, it is not required for a motorcyclist to where a helmet, but travel into California where there is a helmet law you better have one on.  Also, more specific to this forum, again in AZ you are allowed to double tow up to a certain total footage without a CDL, but some states require a CDL.  When travelling to such a state, you would not be permitted to drive on their roads without a CDL.  In the case of the tow dolly, it seems at least most states do not require registration, so I would guess that if there are any states requiring registration, it might defer to the state you are licensed in.  It would be worth your while to certainly check your own states requirements, but also check any state you will travel in to be sure. 

Generally, if you are properly licensed for your home state (per drivers license), you are okay in any state.  This refers to proper paperwork.  Other laws vary by state and you must follow the laws of that state.  Speed limits, overall length, bridge weight limits, trailer brakes, safety chains, motorcycle helmets, double towing, etc.

Back
Top Bottom