Low water drains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namumac1

When I apply 40 psi of air to my water nothing comes out the low drains. The ball valves seem to be open & air/water comes out of all the other fixtures. Do these plug up with sediment? This is on a 2001 Carriage Cameo

I've never heard of the low point drains clogging up, but anything is possible, even if unlikely. About all it could be would be mineral salts from hard water.

Did you use the low point drains to empty water before you started using Air Pressure?

The ball valves, are they turned so they are inline with the hoses?

With all the faucets turned off and no air being used in the system but while air pressure is still in the system -
then try opening the low point drain valves again and see if any air and/or water comes out.
If only air comes out then there may be no water in the lines.  If no air comes out something may be plugged up somewhere.

I use 50 to 55psi when doing my system as there is some length that the air needs to travel to get to the faucets etc.

I use 50 to 55psi when doing my system as there is some length that the air needs to travel to get to the faucets etc.

The length of the water system has no effect on the pressure needed - just the volume of air needed to fill them. The pressure (psi) will be the exactly same throughout, not matter what psi you use. No different than when you put water in the system - once the pipes fill, the pressure equalizes.

OK....silly question, but does water come out of the drains when you are hooked up to "city water?"  If not, your valves are either not working or plugged or they are not the low point drains.  Plugged is unlikely with piping the size of the water lines.  Are you sure you're opening the low point drains?  I don't mean to offend, but I've never heard of both hot and cold water drains being plugged.  When you have air on the lines, do you hear any kind of air leaks?  Do you get full air pressure out of all of the water fixtures, including the toilet?  Weird...

Let us know what you find....

Don't know what else they could be. Two parallel pipes with plastic valves and a 90 degree elbow though the floor to the underside of the  floor. They are in a little cubby hole between a storage area and the electrical cord storage.

I don't know what valves you have, but the low point drain valves on mine are different than what I have seen in the past. Mine have a very small black plastic knob that is shaped like a flat rectangle. Mine will turn around to line up parallel with the tubing or perpendicular to the tubing. Turning them does nothing. I need to pull the knobs up to open the valve.

kdbgoat said:
I don't know what valves you have, but the low point drain valves on mine are different than what I have seen in the past. Mine have a very small black plastic knob that is shaped like a flat rectangle. Mine will turn around to line up parallel with the tubing or perpendicular to the tubing. Turning them does nothing. I need to pull the knobs up to open the valve.

Eureka!

in case someone wonders about this type of valve, here's a pic:

http://www.trekwood.com/products/427744/Fitting-Valve-Low-Point-Drain-90-Deg-Poly

That's it. Thank God for the internet. I was going to replace those valves. Pulled them up and out came the h2o.

Back
Top Bottom