Using NADA Guides as Basis for Making an Offer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppet

We are soon to buy our first RV, hopefully.  Looing at a 2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA.  The one we are looking at today appears to be in good shape, at least from photos and is garage stored year round.

My question is how to best use the NADA guides as a basis for making an offer.  Seller is asking $135,000.  NADA guides indicate that with options on the unit low retail is $110,000 and average retail $132,000. 

I know ultimately it will depend on condition of unit.  But can anyone offer any guidance how to use the retail amounts as a basis for beginning negotiations.

Thanks all!!!

When using the guide remember that you do not check options. Most, if not all, are standard equipment. I can assure you that no dealer will consider any of them. Even things like a Travel'r satellite antenna don't count. Also remember rv NADA guides are based on simple depreciation, not actual sales. A better approach is to look at units for sale (discount to reflect negotiation results) or actual sales data, perhaps from PPL (they post actual sales prices).

Ernie

Phil, it sounds as though you have not seen this unit in person yet since you referred to seeing photos.  By all means go through it personally and  identify good and bad points.  In this case check the tire dates for sure and any maintenance records the owner may have.  I paid NADA for my used MH and it was the biggest mistake I made.  I have never seen another priced as high as the one I bought but there were none other like it in my area at the time.  NADA is just too wide open to use it as an absolute guide.  I would search the internet for like coaches in your area to get a good idea of what they are selling for and when you find the one you like - NEGOTIATE. RVs are not the fastest moving things on the market and if buying from a private party, negotiation can save you a lot of bucks.

Bill

Using my 2016 class C as an example, I would be lucky to be able to get low retail for it. The average retail is about $8000 higher than the local dealer is selling brand new 2018's for. They have a 2016 on their lot with more miles than mine, for about $3500 less than low retail. These prices are from the NADA that one gets when doing an internet search.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2015/Allegro/M-36LA-Ford-362hp/6542101/Values

NADA shows a low retail of $96,800. I would not even bring NADA into the discussion, that just complicates the whole thing. Offer him $100k and see what they say.

To answer your specific question, the NADA value for an RV is just an estimate and has little or no actual market data (sales reports) to back it up. It is not at all a price "Bible" like it is for cars, where market values are well-established by a nationwide system of auctions and retail sales reports. Popular or rare models may sell for more than NADA RV values while others may be less, plus there are seasonal and regional price differences that can be substantial. And condition, of course, is a major factor as well. The bottom line is that NADA is just a ball park figure.  Most buyers try to bid below NADA average and closer to Low Retail, but the seller may well reject those offers if he knows (or just believes) he has a desirable unit.

As others have stated, there are few, if any, options that could be on that motorhome that would make any difference in the retail price. I seriously doubt if all the possible options on that coach could make more than several hundred dollars difference in the price.  You should probably just ignore options altogether unless there is some big ticket item you are sure was a factory option.

Like others say NADA is a rough guide at best. The NADA value for the used  Tioga I bought was $60,000.  I paid $40,000 and others selling around the country were listed in $48-$54,000 range on dealer lots and private sellers. It's guide and may or not be helpful

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom