Pulling a fifth wheel tutorial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

I thought I had read a post here with the basic differences between pulling a TT and a FW.  So far we have practiced in our field and driven down the road to a small town.  But I remember reading something about how taking a turn is different in a FW.  Other than pulling into a huge parking lot and into our own driveway, we haven't done that yet.  If you know where that post is, could you link it?

Have you used the searched feature in this forum?  I'm sure you will get a lot of info from past. Have you done a search on Youtube?  You will get some videos. My suggestions.

Basically, you have to take wider turns because 5th wheels are hitched right over the rear axle and track closer to the inside of the turn. How much wider depends on the turn, of course.

Biggest difference is turning and backing.  Turning, you need to be aware of "off-tracking".  "Wide turn" doesn't really mean long and gradual, but it actually means wait a while before you start the turn.  They will cut the corner much more than a TT.  Don't cut the turn until the trailer wheels are past the nearest inside obstruction or you'll likely scrape it.  Don't ask how I know!!!!  And...don't forget that the rear overhang can swing way wide, so be aware of what's to the outside of the turn.  As far as backing, once the trailer starts to turn, straighten and "follow" it with the front wheels.  Remember, it won't change direction until you're in front of the trailer.  If you wait too long to straighten out the wheels, you'll start to jacknife the turn.  Takes a bit (or maybe a lot) of practice.  Other than that, towing a fiver is easier in my opinion.  Follows along and you get no sway.  Easy to forget it's back there.  Probably a lot more experience from folks here, but that's my humble opinion.

Trypically a fiver will turn inside your truck.  So swinging a bit wide is more necessary.

If you are backing into a tight space where jackknifing is required you will need more room for your tow vehicle to maneuver because a fifth wheel typically requires more steering input than a bumper hitch rig. That's been my observation anyways as I have used both over the years.....

RVRAC said:
Have you used the searched feature in this forum?  I'm sure you will get a lot of info from past. Have you done a search on Youtube?  You will get some videos. My suggestions.

I tried to use the search.  There are no distinctive terms though so the results were just about everything involving FW and towing.

Pugapooh said:
Is your truck a "short" bed?

It's 6-1/2'.

meternerd said:
Biggest difference is turning and backing.  Turning, you need to be aware of "off-tracking".  "Wide turn" doesn't really mean long and gradual, but it actually means wait a while before you start the turn.  They will cut the corner much more than a TT.  Don't cut the turn until the trailer wheels are past the nearest inside obstruction or you'll likely scrape it.

Yes! That's what I remember reading somewhere.  Thank you!

While it's not a post from RVforum, I found the suggestions in this article very helpful https://ditchingsuburbia.com/blog/fifth-wheel-towing-tips

Many drivers develop a form of tunnel vision, seeing only what's immediately ahead.  Towing requires more of a 360 degree awareness. 

I use my mirrors a LOT.  Being able to adjust them downward as needed to see the trailer's wheels (city driving, parking, narrow roads) is a plus.  How far ahead you focus your attention will change.  I find my horizon is much higher than when I'm not towing.

It seems that the more time I spend on the road, the more bone-head drivers I see.  That requires another level of awareness.

Do yourself a favor and take a couple of class 1 tractor trailer lessons basically thats what your driving, you dont need the license

Back
Top Bottom