CB Radios -- Are they useful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blom

We're going on a cross-country trip with four kids in a camper van. We're thinking about getting a CB radio, for an emergency. But I first wanted to ask -- are they useful?
Do RVers use CB radios?
Thanks,
Blomquists

Blom said:
We're going on a cross-country trip with four kids in a camper van. We're thinking about getting a CB radio, for an emergency. But I first wanted to ask -- are they useful?
Do RVers use CB radios?
Thanks,
Blomquists

We have a CB in the MH as well as a hand held in the toad.  Don't remember the last time either was used.  We use FRS radios when we need to use a radio for communication.

Last time we used our CB was in 2002 when caravaning in Alaska with another RVForum member.

While a CB will work in some places where nothing else will, a cell phone is far more useful for emergencies. An FRS radio is handier for convenience communications (like calling hubby back to the RV for dinner).

Blom said:
But I first wanted to ask -- are they useful? Do RVers use CB radios?

We use our CB radios while travleling if we come upon a traffic jam.  Truckers always know what is going on and what alternate routes may work or which lane is going to be closed ahead.  Once our running lights and tail lights were out and a friendly trucker reminded us of that fact so we got off the road.  Typically the chattter on a CB is not so family friendly so we don't listen to it on an ongoing basis.
At the present moment we are parked in a campground with several friends.  We leave our CB radios on to a predetermined channel and we are able to make group announcements or let others know when something is going on.  Last night Fred announced pie at his place....So you bet the CB's are useful.  Later Russ announced the beautiful sunset appearing in the western sky.  We may have missed it but for the CB. 

Betty

CB for Emergency... I find cell phones usually do the job better (NOT ALWAYS) now days.

CB Useful? Very.  In fact get two  One a "Mobile" type (I have a very nice Cobra) and one hand held.  There are times when you have a need for someone outside to talk to the person driving (Or rather backing into a camp site) and/or the other way around, Using a pair of CB radios makes this easy.  Also get a "Car cord" for the hand held (more on this in a second) and I like a ear piece on the "mobile"

When going down the road I listen to chan 19 so I can evesdrop on the truckers and get an idea of what's up ahead.  This has saved me both concern in some cases and likely injury in others (The truckers suggested ever so nicely that SLOWING DOWN was indicated.. Black ice on road, No problem... Some folks without CB's ... Well... They had a different situation, No warning, Totaled their rides.  This is but one example, Also I've both received and given suggestions as to detours to avoid problems.

You put the hand held (I have a 2nd mobile, older) on chan 13 for other RVers and use a car cord to avoid draining it's batteries

I also have a fixed frequency Ham rig on 146.52 and a dual band scanning 32 channels per band.  Occasioally one of the channels is "Interesting"

And soon I'll have 2 more fixed frequency hand helds to scatter about (Total cost under 40 bucks for those)

We leave our CB radios on to a predetermined channel and we are able to make group announcements or let others know when something is going on

I recall one evening last summer in Denali when the CB came alive with the call "Moose across the river, moose across the river"  ;D  CB radios are much handier as an intercom than any other use, although we too use it to monitor traffic in busy or construction areas.  On the road, a CB radio with external antenna will have a much greater range than an FRS radio.

Ned said:
I recall one evening last summer in Denali when the CB came alive with the call "Moose across the river, moose across the river"  ;D  CB radios are much handier as an intercom than any other use, although we too use it to monitor traffic in busy or construction areas.  On the road, a CB radio with external antenna will have a much greater range than an FRS radio.
Is there a particular channel reserved for Moose traffic?  ???

KodiakRV said:

Of course, but I don't remember what it was ;)

KodiakRV said:

Good question,,, As a member of the Loyal Order of the Moose... Perhaps I Should Ask (Yes, I know that is not the same thing)

All traffic, Moose or otherwise Chan 19

I've been CBing since the early 60's when I sold Building materials thru=out the country and haven't been without one since.  The truckers are valuable source of info for traffic, weather, and fuel stops as well as directions.  I'd trust  the CB before some of the maps.  But then I'm used to using one and it's just my opinion.  In fact I converse with the truckers and give them as much info as they give me and always been thanked by them.  JMHO

We last used CB's in the late 70's.  We quit when the lanquage got so bad, we couldn't let our kids hear it.  Is it cleaner now?

The entire band is cleaner.  In traveling across the nation a couple of time I've found that most of the time the CB is fairly quite, I do find some chatter on 19 near major truck stops, and of course it "lights up" when there is a traffic situtation  (I go to the big RVF rally in QZ, now THAT is a traffic situtation :) ) and though I don't hear nearly as much "Trash" as I used to hear there is still some corse language there.  However crude now beats corse (Remember the song "White Night" where he is talking about a girl in a convertable....)  I use an ear piece though so that the wife is not bothered by it.

The ham radios are on open speaker

Chan 13 (The "Good Sam" channel) is also on an open speaker

The fun part is figuring out which radio is talking to me some days (Mostly I ignore the radios)

I've got to agree with John.  I use an earpiece to listen cuz the wife doesn't like it and we can therefore listen to CDs    Hardy ever use the radio.

CB radios are great for short haul, line of sight communications much like FRS radios.  CB communications are also subject to the solar sunspot cycle, which is currently at it's low point in an 11 year cycle.  Not much long distance communications are possible now, but in 3 or 4 more years, CB signals will be hopping.  There will be so many stations rolling in that short distance communications will be "clobbered" by the skip signals that roll in from many distances and directions.  You'll still communicate, but usually within two to three miles on the road. 

CB is great for short distance intercom use, much like FRS radios (UHF).  A permanently installed antenna on the roof (but watch the height) or on the side will be a plus.  On the other hand, CB doesn't offer the portablility of an FRS handheld radio much the size of a cell phone.  Don't get caught with a CB amplifier, because the FCC will confiscate your CB, amplifier, and may charge you with a $10,000 fine. 

Truckers are a great help with information about road conditions and in congestion on the interstates.  Just as was said earlier, some truckers and illegal high powered base station CBers have their own jargon, and a lot of abusive four letter words.  Best part about CB radios, they're cheap!  Usually $5 for a used 40 channel unit at the garage sales and flea markets.  I'm a ham radio operator, but could not resist buying a President model CB base station from a neighbor for $10 a few years ago.
DM

I agree Summer... CB  very useful for listening in on the truckers on 19 and finding out what's up ahead on the road. I've managed to make a couple of friends out of a couple of truckers too.

Ham radio, Also very useful for finding out what's going on most anywhere

WA8YXM, I can often be caught looking at the water fall on 7.07MHz PSK-31 

(For the non hams 7.07 MHz is clearly the frequency the radio is set on

PSK-31 stands for Phase Shift Keying-31 hertz bandwith, it's a very narrow bandwith digital signal which computers understand, Normal voice bandwith is thousands of hertz wide so PSK-31, being so narrow, means more people can be in the same slice of the chart.  It also means we get much better range with modest stations, I crank out 40-50 watts)

Waterfall,,, Is a way of looking at the band,  Every slice of time the computer paints a line on the screen, how much enegery is present at any given frequency is shown as different colors.. RED means it's way too loud,  Blue means it's very soft  yellow or Green is good if the display is right.  As each new line is painted the old lines move down, like water over a waterfall, hence the name.

A PSK signal will show up as a very distinctive pattern on a waterfall display

Software on my computer can either monitor 1,2 or as many as 15 (or more) different signals at one time.

We don't use the CB a whole lot anymore - too distasteful - but wouldn't want to be without it during traffic problems.  The truckers are a big help when there's a major tieup.  They can tell you what has happened and if it's advisable to seek another route and which one.  Also, we've used it to tell a few truckers that they had a problem such as a tire going flat or something flapping in the breeze that shouldn't be open.

I think of lot of the truckers are talking more on cell phones now, especially if they're with the same company.  You still hear some of the trash talk, but I have to say I'm not hearing as much talk of any kind as we used to hear.

Sometimes if you're lurking you hear things about yourself.  One day Jerry was in the back napping while I drove.  One of the truckers was commenting on the pretty motorhome in front of him.  He wondered out loud what it must be like to drive a big empty box like that down the road.  Then he passed.  As he got even we looked at one another and we both waved.  That poor guy just about fell off his chair telling his buddy a woman was driving that thing.  Needless to say I got a chuckle out of that one - and he never realized I was listening to it all.  ;D

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom