Can you flat tow a leased car?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only restrictions I can think of is it better look like it did when you bought it,,, no holes in the bumper cover and no base plate sticking out.

I doubt the lease company would be forward thinking enough to cover such a condition in their lease regulations. Any problems would probably be covered under a damage clause, if there was any as a result of the towing. That and you would need to have a baseplate installed, and depending on how it was done may constitute damage.

Just one question, if you flat towed it wouldnt the milage still run us just as if you had driven it and then have to paid for milage.

catblaster said:
  Just one question, if you flat towed it wouldnt the milage still run us just as if you had driven it and then have to paid for milage.

Not likely! Modern cars have electronic mileage counters and they do not operate while under tow in most cases. But any modifications required for towing 4down might be considered 'damage' by the rental company. The best bet to avoid problems is not to use a leased vehicle for towing.

SargeW said:
I doubt the lease company would be forward thinking enough to cover such a condition in their lease regulations. Any problems would probably be covered under a damage clause, if there was any as a result of the towing. That and you would need to have a baseplate installed, and depending on how it was done may constitute damage.

When the sales and service managers at the Toyota dealer where we bought our then new 2011 RAV4 were checking out my baseplate and Remco pump installation, I asked them about leasing and towing 4-down. The sales manager showed me a section of their lease regarding add-ons that most definitely did NOT allow the type of mods typically needed for a baseplate installation. Oddly, the Remco pump was allowed, since it didn't involve any structural alterations like drilling holes in the front sub-frame members or body modifications. They did admit that carefully removing the pump and baseplate, and replacing the plastic grill section that was modified would probably get the car past a post lease inspection though, since the drilled holes wouldn't be easily seen.

catblaster said:

Now in the old days.. of mechinical odometers.. YES
But in today's world of all electronic dashes.. I know of no car where the millage is counted unless the ignition is in the ON position..  And That includes reading posts from several others

On the last car I had with mechanical odometer.. I used a "Disconnect" system (Axle Lock since it was Front wheel drive) and towed with the tranny in PARK. no millage accrued.

With my current car (9 years newer) I tow in neutral with a lube pump but due to electronic sensors not being powerd on when towing (usually) No millage accrues UNLESS.. The blasted fuse blows on the lube pump or the pump fails.. Then I have to start the car.  And up goes the digits.

And because the mileage doesn't register, you have to assume a used vehicle with a base plate, or evidence of a base plate, has had additional wear and tear to some parts beyond what the odometer reads.

Alpena Jeff said:
Any known lease or insurance restrictions?
Thanks as always! Jeff
Do you have a leased vehicle now or are you thinking about leasing one to use as a Toad?

Just curious ... U-Haul offers options to tow a car all-4-down, but I haven't seen them install a baseplate (doesn't mean they don't do it). So maybe this is what Alpena Jeff is thinking of doing  ???  I'd still check with the rental company to be sure it's OK with them and their insurance.

Did you order it from a leasing company? Or did you order it through the dealer? I have never heard of being able to order a  car then after it is in decide if you want to lease.
But then where are you that they didn't have enough inventory that you could find what you wanted in stock?
I am just spoiled we have 16 Chevrolet Dealers in the area (not including GMC) with the highest volume dealer in US, Classic.
Bill

Why not just buy it?  Then you aren't sweating every possible ding or rock chip.  Better yet buy a used car as a toad - Those come pre scratched so there are no worries!  I wouldn't want to have something someone else decides whether or not I tow it or how many miles I drive it or if I spill my coffee in it or my kids ding it.......

Sometimes I buy, sometimes I lease. Depends what makes more sense at the time. We were planning on buying this one, it will also be my daily driver. Then we bought a motorhome.... ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom