Morro Rock or Moro Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

ArdraF said:
Margi  :-[  Bless your pea-picken heart!

Brad, fear of heights is one of my problems.  I went to the top of the old World Trade Center but had sweaty palms the whole time.  I also went up the Eiffel Tower.  Early in our marriage we hiked up to Morro Rock in California.  It's flat on top which makes a fabulous viewing platform.  Jerry was helping me work over to the edge when a bus load of people arrived and I started to panic as they converged on me.  Someone in the group very wisely held them back until I got to the edge and looked over.  Those people did me a huge favor in conquering this fear and I try to be mindful of others in the same situation.  Some of you have seen me help other people across to stand under Delicate Arch which terrified me the first time I did it.  But I still don't like that white line on the passenger side!

ArdraF
Did you hike Morro Rock in Morro Bay or Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park? I have been to the top of Moro Rock but I did not think it was legal to climb to the top of Morro Rock.

SeilerBird said:
Did you hike Morro Rock in Morro Bay or Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park? I have been to the top of Moro Rock but I did not think it was legal to climb to the top of Morro Rock.

And moreover... ;D

HueyPilotVN said:
Might be kind of tough to drive a bus out into Morro Bay
There is a sensational RV park directly across the street from Morro Rock.  ;D You can walk to the rock from there. But it is a state park and there are signs all over it about it being illegal to hike or climb it.  :(

HueyPilotVN said:
Sorry. I was trying to be funny.  I thought the Rock was in the bay.
It used to be many years ago but right now it is solidly connected to the harbor. It is really cool to walk around it. Lots of otters swimming in the bay, lots of birds nesting on the rock (which is why one should never hike on it) and lots of surfers at the beach just to the north of the rock.

Did you hike Morro Rock in Morro Bay or Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park?

Ooops!  I forgot about the spelling difference.  It was Moro Rock in Sequoia, although we've also stayed at that campground near Morro Rock.  It makes you wonder why they have the same name with different spellings.  Someone could go quite a bit out of their way if they didn't know the difference!  :eek:

ArdraF

When I hiked it in 2003 there was a photo of Bush at the visitors center on top of the rock that was taken earlier in the year.

BTW if you have never hiked this rock it is an easy hike with a stunning view of the Sierras.

Attachments

• Bush.jpg
    Bush.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 33
ArdraF said:
Ooops!  I forgot about the spelling difference.  It was Moro Rock in Sequoia, although we've also stayed at that campground near Morro Rock.  It makes you wonder why they have the same name with different spellings.  Someone could go quite a bit out of their way if they didn't know the difference!  :eek:

ArdraF

In Spanish (and Portuguese, I think) "r" and "rr" are actually different letters (as are c, h, and ch), and are also pronounced in a different way (in Spanish, it's mostly how much "trill" in the sound) as different as "x" and "z", so they are definitely different words. Pero is "but" and perro is "dog." Morro is, according to a web dictionary, Spanish for a "crown-shaped rock or hill." Moro, again according to the web, is the color of a blue roan mustang. And since they were named by the Spanish...

BTW if you have never hiked this rock it is an easy hike with a stunning view of the Sierras.

As I recall you can see the Continental Divide maybe to the east.  It's been many years since we were there but it was stunning.  And I know I'd enjoy it a lot more today!  I'd even look over the edge!  ;D

We strayed from the original question, but I hope our responses help NCSU Dad see that, unless there's a true medical issue involved (and I'm guessing there isn't), it's a matter of learning to overcome our various phobias be they height, things seemingly whizzing by us, or simply an uncomfortable feeling because there doesn't seem to be anything in front of us.  The few phobias I've had were learned from my mother who had the same ones so it's a matter of unlearning them.  I'm lucky to have someone who has been able to help me reverse these feelings.

ArdraF

I'll clean this mess up shortly. Meanwhile ...

FWIW we've been into Morro Bay by boat a number of times. As recommended, because of potentially dangerous conditions at the entrance, one time I called USCG station Morro Bay and received a "clear over the bar skipper and unlimited visibility" response. Hmm, "I'm outside the harbor and can't see the bow of our boat"... dead silence until ... "skipper, please give me your GPS coordinates", which I immediately did... dead silence until ... "clear coordinates skipper, let me know if we can help further".

The entrance to the harbor winds around the rock in an 'S' shape. Fortunately, we'd been into this harbor several times previously, although the channel does shift over time due to silting. Once inside the harbor, it was like someone lifted a curtain ... we had a clear blue sky and, right in front of us, was the USCG station. Had he looked out the window, he would have realized we were in thick fog.

We didn't hike the rock.

The Morro Bay Yacht Club has numerous photos of boats that got in trouble over the bar at the entrance to the harbor. Actor George C Scott forced his Captain to exit the harbor over the bar in bad conditions, and the 110 foot boat ended up vertical.

We don't have threads, but I suspect the sequence issue happened when I moved the messages from the original topic and shuffled a couple around (slip of the admin's keyboard?). The main issue was to clear the mud from the original topic.

There's only one out-of-sequence message. So no big deal, and the end of the world didn't come. Think of this as the first message, and it all makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom