Beeping after intsalling new house batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaNomads

Yesterday we installed 2 450 Amp hours, 6 volt batteries. Since then it has beeped non stop unless we turn off the batteries. We've driven about 200 miles but the stupid thing keeps beeping. What makes me mad is we were told they were fully charged. They were not! Now plugged into electricity we can't shut the batteries down to stop the beep. Any help will be coveted.

First question is what is beeping?
Second question is who installed the batteries? Did a shop install them or did you do the install yourself?

IF possible disable the beeper (pull fuse if needed) for 2-4 hours. Then plug back in.

NOTE Make sure the batteries are good and PROPERLY installed. I have heard of cases where someone put in two six volt ... IN PARALLEL. I even remember the name of the dealer who did it and have done business with them (NOT BATTERIES).

But I'll not embarass them at this time less that's where you got yours. I hope they learned.

They were installed by Interstate battery in Jackson Mississippi. I believe they are correctly hooked up in series. I can't tell what's beeping. The sound is coming from the area of the fridge and microwave. Others have said in a search it may be the propane detector or co2 detector.

Just a wild shot, since batteries don't beep: Could it be the refrigerator door isn't shut tight? That will start a beeping on many fridges with the electronic controls/readouts. Or might there be an alarm clock in there somewhere? You really need to identify what specifically is beeping.

I know batteries don't beep. The kid who installed them obviously messed something up. No the hot water heater won't heat and the furnace is blowing cold air. We've been fulltime RVers one week now and our first attempted upgrade is biting us in the behind.  :-\

Maybe he installed them parallel and not series. That would only feed your coach with 6 volts. That would also cause your propane detector to beep. And maybe the CO detector as well. It would also lead you to believe the batteries were not fully charged. The worse part is your converter is probably trying to charge a 6 volt battery bank as a 12 volt.

My CO detector will beep when the battery cables have been worked on.  I have to turn the detector off and then back on.  Then it will beep a few times and then go silent.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach

Should be a propane detector down near the floor with a little red lite flashing.  When the power goes out and is turned back on it beeps.  Shut it off and reset it.

Beeping sure sounds like the refrigerator.  Perhaps the door is not fully closed, or it is set to run on AC and there is no AC.

llib enad said:
    My CO detector will beep when the battery cables have been worked on.  I have to turn the detector off and then back on.  Then it will beep a few times and then go silent.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach

Problem solved!!!! That was all it needed. Thank you very much.

I'm glad you found the problem, and it was simple (and free) to fix.
And thank you for posting the end result. Too many times we're left hanging after the problem was fixed.

Yesterday we installed 2 450 Amp hours, 6 volt batteries
Good to hear the beeping is stopped.

For the record, 2 - 6v GC2 batteries of the type used in Rvs will produce about 225 AH, not 450.  Interstate makes a couple different 6v GC2 batteries, with an AH rating from 210 to 232. When two of them are put in series, the voltage doubles to 12v but the AH remains the same, so a pair has the same AH as a single one.

Back
Top Bottom