EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Beeping after intsalling new house batteries  (Read 329 times)

IowaNomads

• ---
  • 34' 1995 Fleetwood Bounder
Beeping after intsalling new house batteries
« on: October 28, 2017, 04:48:42 PM »
Yesterday we installed 2 450 Amp hours, 6 volt batteries. Since then it has beeped non stop unless we turn off the batteries. We've driven about 200 miles but the stupid thing keeps beeping. What makes me mad is we were told they were fully charged. They were not! Now plugged into electricity we can't shut the batteries down to stop the beep. Any help will be coveted.
Taking the road less traveled usually means a few bumps along the way, but a lot more freedom and happiness.

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: Beeping after intsalling new house batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »
First question is what is beeping?
Second question is who installed the batteries? Did a shop install them or did you do the install yourself?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
IF possible disable the beeper (pull fuse if needed) for 2-4 hours. Then plug back in.

NOTE Make sure the batteries are good and PROPERLY installed. I have heard of cases where someone put in two six volt ... IN PARALLEL. I even remember the name of the dealer who did it and have done business with them (NOT BATTERIES).

But I'll not embarass them at this time less that's where you got yours. I hope they learned.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

IowaNomads

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:20:25 PM »
They were installed by Interstate battery in Jackson Mississippi. I believe they are correctly hooked up in series. I can't tell what's beeping. The sound is coming from the area of the fridge and microwave. Others have said in a search it may be the propane detector or co2 detector.
Taking the road less traveled usually means a few bumps along the way, but a lot more freedom and happiness.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »
Just a wild shot, since batteries don't beep: Could it be the refrigerator door isn't shut tight? That will start a beeping on many fridges with the electronic controls/readouts. Or might there be an alarm clock in there somewhere? You really need to identify what specifically is beeping.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

IowaNomads

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
I know batteries don't beep. The kid who installed them obviously messed something up. No the hot water heater won't heat and the furnace is blowing cold air. We've been fulltime RVers one week now and our first attempted upgrade is biting us in the behind.  :-\

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:30:07 PM »
Maybe he installed them parallel and not series. That would only feed your coach with 6 volts. That would also cause your propane detector to beep. And maybe the CO detector as well. It would also lead you to believe the batteries were not fully charged. The worse part is your converter is probably trying to charge a 6 volt battery bank as a 12 volt.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

llib enad

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 06:12:02 AM »
     My CO detector will beep when the battery cables have been worked on.  I have to turn the detector off and then back on.  Then it will beep a few times and then go silent.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach

whokares2

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 06:30:04 AM »
Should be a propane detector down near the floor with a little red lite flashing.  When the power goes out and is turned back on it beeps.  Shut it off and reset it.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind 30,000 mi.
2017 Jeep Patriot toad
Spencer and Lucky pooches.

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 07:59:20 AM »
Beeping sure sounds like the refrigerator.  Perhaps the door is not fully closed, or it is set to run on AC and there is no AC.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

IowaNomads

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »
     My CO detector will beep when the battery cables have been worked on.  I have to turn the detector off and then back on.  Then it will beep a few times and then go silent.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach

Problem solved!!!! That was all it needed. Thank you very much.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »
I'm glad you found the problem, and it was simple (and free) to fix.
And thank you for posting the end result. Too many times we're left hanging after the problem was fixed.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 08:54:56 AM »
Yesterday we installed 2 450 Amp hours, 6 volt batteries
Good to hear the beeping is stopped.

For the record, 2 - 6v GC2 batteries of the type used in Rvs will produce about 225 AH, not 450.  Interstate makes a couple different 6v GC2 batteries, with an AH rating from 210 to 232. When two of them are put in series, the voltage doubles to 12v but the AH remains the same, so a pair has the same AH as a single one.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network