Water pump check valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

My water pump is letting water flow through and is filling up and overflowing the fresh water tank while on city water.  I plan to it a check valve in line to stop this.  My understanding is the checkvalve in the pump sticks open allowing this to happen.  Instead of $200+ for a new pump this is free, I have thevalve.

My question is which side of the pump should I put it on. 

schoolsout2 said:
My water pump is letting water flow through and is filling up and overflowing the fresh water tank while on city water.  I plan to it a check valve in line to stop this.  My understanding is the checkvalve in the pump sticks open allowing this to happen.  Instead of $200+ for a new pump this is free, I have thevalve.

My question is which side of the pump should I put it on.

Just a thought. How did you verify that the water as leaking by the pump? Did you disconnect the pipe on the suction side and then pressurize the system with city pressure? The reason I ask is that there is possibly another cause. Do you have a fill valve and when positioned to fill, the fresh water tank will fill by the city water. This valve has been known to leak by.

If the fill valve that Rene mention checks ok or doesn't exist, the check valve can technically go on either side of the pump, although I'd prefer the outlet side so the city water pressure hits it before it hits the pump. Also note that it's not necessary to replace the entire pump in most cases like this. If it's a common SHURflo 2088 for instance, the complete pump "head" assembly is only about $57. It's the complete pump less the motor and mount, and similar kits are available most other models.

SHURflo (94-236-08) Head Assembly

I had the exact same problem and my pump was still under warrantee. Forest River sent me a brand new pump and said it was just as cheap instead of them repairing the old pump.
I never use my fresh water pump, so all I did was take out the old water pump and put a shut off in the line.
I now have a new unused water pump.
With all that said, I would put the check valve on the discharge side of the pump so no city water can enter it.

jack L

The problem only occurs intermittently after I use the pump.  To stop it, I cycle the pump on and off.  Thanks NY_Dutch, I will look for that part.  I will put in the valve for now.

schoolsout2 said:
The problem only occurs intermittently after I use the pump.  To stop it, I cycle the pump on and off.  Thanks NY_Dutch, I will look for that part.  I will put in the valve for now.

Sounds like parts may be dirty and only need a good cleaning if it only happens intermittently and you can stop it by cycling it. I would try that first.

Back
Top Bottom