Need Expertise on Small RV's Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TravelGirl

Hi, and thank you for reading this.

I have never owned an RV before, but I am thinking of purchasing one - and the thought makes me want to forget the whole idea all together! :)

I have travelled a lot, and I love the freedom of the open road. I even got to the point where I experimented with car camping, first in a car, then in a SUV. I loved the snuggliness of sleeping in an SUV, but there is no way I would want to do that long term.

So, I am thinking of graduating to an actual RV. The problem is, I have heard so many terrible things about purchasing RVs - people literally driving off the lot and the things are starting to need repair! How scary!

I am also planning on doing this myself, with just me and my dog, so I would not have the burly hands of a man - or the elegance of a very skilled woman - to rely upon if things go haywire.

So, that is where you come in!

What RV would you recommend that is the LEAST likely to have problems, and the most likely to hold everything together for full-time life-on-the-road?

I need something under 5,000 pounds, as that is my towing limit - and yes, I would be towing with my V6 SUV. I also plan, as mentioned above, to live in the RV full time. (After car camping, even a 3500 foot RV would be relatively spacious! I can stand up! I can shower! WOW! I feel alive.)

Something that can handle the four seasons would also be good, just in case.

I have looked at the Winnebago Winnie Drop, but have heard mixed things.

Are there any small RVs out there that have a great reputation for not having problems?

Your thoughts will be very appreciated. Thank you again for reading!

The badge is meaningless. The condition is everything. If you properly maintain an RV they will last a very long time. RVs are a house being driven down the road at 65 miles per hour. This produces a tremendous strain on everything. They literally get shaken to death. RVs require constant attention to detail to make sure everything is tight and working properly. If that is not done the RV will literally fall apart.

People love to complain. The vast majority of us RV owners really love RVing and living full time is a blessing. RVs do not do winter very well. Especially since you want to keep it under 5000 pounds. Insulation is heavy and only used sparingly on all RVs.

Just because your SUV can tow 5000 pounds doesn't mean you can find an RV that weighs 5000 pounds. 3000 maximum. You have to add in the weight of you, the dog, water, gas, food, tools, clothes, and all the rest of your stuff. And for safety you would not want to even be close to 5000 pounds. 4500 pounds at the most.

It sounds like you don't have a lot of money or a large income. A single girl towing an RV around without much money is a recipe for disaster. What do you do if your SUV dies in the middle of the Mojave Desert? I think a much better solution for you is to buy a larger trailer and pay someone to haul it to an RV park and staying in one spot until you can improve your financial situation and buy a much more beefy truck.

Look at Casita trailers. They are fiberglass and have fewer problems with leaks and rot than most. They are easy to tow, but they are not inexpensive. They have a wet bath, not a separate shower and toilet, but there are ways to make that easier to manage. Google Casita forum and look at the Casita Facebook page too.

Don't think OP mentioned anything about income or what she does for a living?

As stated, the brand really doesn't mean anything, all are subject to issues. It really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. A small camper in this case is actually better because a lot less can go wrong. If it makes you feel better I am a single girl as well who is maybe a 3-4 on the handy scale and I have managed to remedy any major issues I have had without much headache or drama. This forum is a great resource, between everyone they basically know everything. You can google and find videos on almost anything and don't forget there is an abundance of older and more experienced RVers at every RV park just DYING to lend a hand, especially to a woman, trust me on that.

I am partial to Keystone myself, thats what I have as well as a few of my neighbors and zero major issues. Checkout the Passport ROV and the Bullet Colt. They come in well under the 5000lb rating which is where you want to be since as mentioned you will need to factor in the weight of you, your dog, and your stuff.

Someone will inevitably mention it as well but look at lightly used models as well if you're comfortable with that. The original owner will have handled all the weird new quirks, like mislabeled tank handles or a wiring issue, that you won't have to mess with.

EDIT: once you purchase, look into good insurance and a roadside service that includes RVs, like AAA Premier RV, so that if your SUV does die in the Mojave, rolling over and dying wont be your only option  ::)

A Casita was the first thing that came to mind, one nice thing about them being fiberglass shells is that they do tend to retain their value much better than most other RV options.  A new 17 ft Casita will sell for around $20,000, a 5 year old model will likely run $15,000 or so, and a 10 year old Casita of the same basic type will still likely sell in the $12,000.

http://northwoodmfg.com/ 

Northwood makes excellent trailers. We had a Nash 22H built by them and it was great. I think you could pull it just fine.

We got rid of it for a bigger trailer.

Hello,

+1 for the Casita trailers.

Here's the blog of a Casita RVer in a similar situation (assuming the OP is also female, single, young, and not rich):

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Travelgirl - WELCOME to the Forum!  We need more girl-power (LOL).

I was where you are about 15 months ago - struck with the idea of living full time and traveling in an RV and had zero, zip experience with doing so.  I'm still working my "plan" to make it a reality and it IS going to happen by late summer 2018.  It's been lots of research, information to digest, and a gazillion decisions to make, but, boy is it gonna be worth it!!!

I've learned on the forum, that generally, all RVs could be grouped as kinda low, mid, and high end -- and most manufacturers will make models to fit all three markets.  The differences might be in the chassis or the frame, the structural integrity, wood or aluminum frame, amount of insulation, tire size, load limits, sizes of holding tanks, and the quality of the finish materials, -- flooring, cabinets, upholstery and the quality of the workmanship in getting all the pieces put together correctly.  And, it seems generally that the functioning living devices like the microwave, range and oven, water heater, TV, radio, air-conditioning, sinks and toilets, refrigerator, etc. are made by third party manufacturers who specialize in supplying the RV markets, so the same appliances (i.e. same quality, reliability, etc.) will show up in units from many different manufacturers so you'll get the same thing. 

I think it boils down to research and keying in on the factors that will be important for how you plan to use the RV -- off-road or RV park for example, hot, cold, or temperate climates, East or West US, lots of cooking, new or used unit, etc.  The research will help you determine the level of quality and fit of various models for what's important to you in each of these areas, and you'll find your choices begin to narrow down.  For me for example it included having thermal pane windows, better insulation, heated and enclosed underbelly, functional counter top space, and a bunk bed area to convert for storage etc.  You aren't the first person to be overwhelmed by the number of choices in types of RVs and all the models available (been there myself), but as you learn about how RVs work, what systems you have to maintain, and how you want to live in yours, your priorities will become apparent.

Also, don't be fooled by the "4 seasons" marketing hype.  Four seasons where?  Arizona or Minnesota?  You really have to decide just what temperature "extremes" you're going to live in and then choose a model with the standard features or options that is going to let you do that.  I went through the same exercise.  I'm purchasing an Outdoors RV trailer because it has the climate features that best optimize the environments I plan to be in.  But, I'm not spending the winter in North Dakota in it.  Such trailers are also going to tend to be on the heavier side and maybe beyond your SUV's capability.

BTW.  I also started out thinking I could use a SUV to pull my "house".  Uhmmm . .starting looking at trailer sizes, weights and features, and it became apparent a truck was gonna be needed.  So, okay, let's look at Ford F150s.  Lots of research into understanding towing, payloads, etc. for that model and also continuing to research trailer models.  Uhmmm . . looks like I want lots of features in my trailer,  . . ooops the F150 won't safely or enjoyably handle the trailers I want.  Okay, how about an F250 Super Duty?  More research . .Aha!  That's the truck! 

So, how do you learn about RVs, or in particular TTs.  I found YouTube to be fascinating and mighty entertaining and a great learning tool.  There are thousands of videos on every RV topic you can imagine (and some you don't want to imagine).  They cover every system - electrical, plumbing, heating, communications, etc., towing, actual RV model reviews, living hacks, and ones like "bonehead mistakes", or "10 things we learned about our RV".  All of them good.  I especially liked the Long Long Honeymoon series and the vids posted by Ray from Love Your RV. 

And don't overlook this forum!!!  It's been around for a long long time and I can't say enough how valuable the information in the posts has been to me while on my journey of making decisions about trailers, trucks, towing, size, layout, etc.  I was hooked from the first time I found the forum and spent hours and hours (over several months) browsing the various boards  - just started at page 1 under a topic like "Tech Talk" or "trailer and fifthwheels" and then read the posts for a Topic I thought looked interesting.  This is probably going overboard and most people would not do this, but I wanted to make sure that my perception of what full time trailer living on the road was like, and what it was REALLY like matched before I made such a radical change in my life.  But, that's just me.  You can also use the Forum "search" function for more specific results.  You can also find blogs and boards about any RV topic you care to research.  It's an amazing world.

AND . . AND . . .there is no place better than the Forum for asking for help on issues, or when things break.  A more experienced, wiling, and helpful group of folks you will never find.!!! 

You mentioned "what do I do when things go haywire?". Most likely, the same thing you do now when things go awry.  Do you call for professional help, or do you find out how to DIY?  Again, both paths are completely, utterly, possible and doable when living in an RV.  May take some $$, time, and most likely patience and a good attitude, but heck, you expected that right?  While planning for how to deal with some things going wrong (my pets get ill is a big one for me) here and there is part of this process, I try not to "what if?" myself to extremes and at some point just focus on my ability to simply deal with it no matter what.  Additionally, people overwhelmingly "post" when something goes wrong so you get a skewed impression.  You don't hear about the "millions of RV-day use annually" where everything is just perfect.

Keep researching and reading.  It will all come together just as you wish.
Linda

To add to Dreamsend and my previous post with my own personal experience...definitely look up at upgrading your vehicle if you are able. Always nice to be able to pull more and to be safe. The safety and security I feel in my diesel truck is priceless to me.

4 season camping is...doable in the right conditions. A lot of people here camp in cold climates. I live in MS where it gets down below freezing a handful of nights a year (last year we had two and three day spans of lows in the teens and highs in the 20s) and I did fine with two space heaters and the right prep. So while Montana in the winter may not be an option, you won?t be limited to just south Florida either.

About the research...yes there is tons to consider! Tons!! And you should always make informed decisions. But try not to overthink because it?s easy to get overwhelmed and not do it. This is just my situation but I was in a tight spot and had to get a camper in basically a day. I looked at the dealers site online on a Sunday and went in Monday morning, looked at every unit on the lot (in the rain and December cold I may add) and took my RV home that afternoon. I jumped with both feet and honestly I learned as I went and it has turned out really well for me. I didn?t start out with a tow vehicle I got one later. I also upgraded my tires later once I did more research. I had a couple moments where I really felt like I messed up (like when I didn?t know to open my second gas tank when the first one was empty) but i worked through it.  Don?t let the fear that something might go wrong hold you back! As Dream said, you just take things that go wrong and work through it.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply, and for all of your thoughts!  SeilerBird, UTTransplant, rvannie23, Isaac-1, Arch Hoagland, VallAndMo, Dreamsend and Dance Chick (I hope I got everyone!) thank you all!

A few things in reply: no, I am not living in my SUV. Some years back I was traveling, and was paying a lot for hotels, etc. I started to read about some people who found creative ways to avoid those costs... and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to try it. It seemed totally off the wall, but aren't all good adventures in one way or another? :)

I am concerned about those who mentioned safety and suggested upgrading my vehicle.

I do not need a large RV - if I keep it small will I be ok? Someone mentioned 3500 max for the RV weight; I was looking at one that is 3800. Would that be safe?

I also noticed that no one mentioned Airstream. I rather had the impression that Airstream was the best of the best, but perhaps not?

In regards to the Cascita - I had mentioned that to a local RV dealer, and he said that he had never heard of it. He said that if I go with a small company like that, it will be hard to get the parts to service it. I said that their website claims they can take care of it; he said that sounds like B.S., and I would have a problem if I needed repairs. He said it is better to stick with a mainstream, bigger name company that is everywhere for this reason. Any thoughts?

In response to what I do for a living, I have some money that I was going to use to do this so as to take a few years, break away, and focus on some creative pursuits that I never have the freedom to work on otherwise. I was hoping that getting away from everything would provide that freedom to really focus on other pursuits that working (even from home), etc., never allowed me much time for - or mental clarity.

Which brings me to another question: are RV parks terribly annoying to live in? My big fear is that I will be living amongst those who see it as a full-time party, with lots of kids running around and noise and such. That would not help with my mental clarity. :)

Wow, I appreciate everyones thoughts and feedback! Thank you all again for the links and info and everything!

TravelGirl said:
Which brings me to another question: are RV parks terribly annoying to live in? My big fear is that I will be living amongst those who see it as a full-time party, with lots of kids running around and noise and such. That would not help with my mental clarity. :)

Wow, I appreciate everyones thoughts and feedback! Thank you all again for the links and info and everything!

It depends on the RV park.  You didn't say how old you are but there are parks that are 55 and over - no kids long term I think.
You could always book a spot for a week to try it out and if it's too noisy you could change to a different spot or park.

Boondocking (no electric, water, or sewer) would help you with mental clarity, for sure.

(After car camping, even a 3500 foot RV would be relatively spacious! I can stand up! I can shower! WOW! I feel alive.)

Might have been a typo but it MIGHT be 350ft? - but even that would be huge for a TT as none I know of are 10ft x 35ft and weigh
under 5000lbs.  Not to mention you probably don't want a TT a lot longer than your SUV.

To the moderators, Dreamsend's  response should be permanently posted at the beginning of the Newcomers section.  It covers a lot of ground

Re: Need Expertise on Small RV's Please
? Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 05:36:08 AM ?

What do you do if your SUV dies in the middle of the Mojave Desert?

The same thing a middle aged woman driving a 40ft motor home would do.... call coachnet, AAA or any other roadside assistance.  ;D

TravelGirl, there is so much information on this board that will help you learn everything you need to know. And you can always ask. Smooth travels to ya. Maybe we will run into each other on the road somewhere.

take care

TravelGirl said:
I also noticed that no one mentioned Airstream. I rather had the impression that Airstream was the best of the best, but perhaps not?

In regards to the Cascita - I had mentioned that to a local RV dealer, and he said that he had never heard of it. He said that if I go with a small company like that, it will be hard to get the parts to service it. I said that their website claims they can take care of it; he said that sounds like B.S., and I would have a problem if I needed repairs. He said it is better to stick with a mainstream, bigger name company that is everywhere for this reason. Any thoughts?
First let me state one thing pretty much all of us here agree on: RV dealers lie. They will always tell you the manufacturers they carry are the best. They will always tell you your vehicle can tow the unit you are looking at no matter how big it is. They will tell you the used unit is perfectly sound and to just ignore the soft floor and wet spot on the ceiling (signs of water damage). You are doing the right thing in checking with independent sources like here.

In regards to Casita, the components are normal RV items and can be easily services. They are only sold new at the factory, and somehow the thousands who own them manage to get service. We had one for 3 years without any issues at all. Look at the blog by ?RVSue and Her Canine Crew?. She has a Casita and has full-timed for quite a few years in it.

In regards to Airstreams, you just won?t find one small enough to tow with the SUV. NIce trailers, but very expensive.

Regards to being in RV parks, it depends a lot on the park. Most of the ones we have been to don?t have many children. Our biggest problems are with workers who idle huge diesel trucks for 30 minutes at 5:30 in the morning! Take a good look at the park and you can see the clientele.

Good luck.

First let me state one thing pretty much all of us here agree on: RV dealers lie. They will always tell you the manufacturers they carry are the best. They will always tell you your vehicle can tow the unit you are looking at no matter how big it is. They will tell you the used unit is perfectly sound and to just ignore the soft floor and wet spot on the ceiling (signs of water damage). You are doing the right thing in checking with independent sources like here.

In regards to Casita, the components are normal RV items and can be easily services. They are only sold new at the factory, and somehow the thousands who own them manage to get service. We had one for 3 years without any issues at all. Look at the blog by ?RVSue and Her Canine Crew?. She has a Casita and has full-timed for quite a few years in it.

In regards to Airstreams, you just won?t find one small enough to tow with the SUV. NIce trailers, but very expensive.

Regards to being in RV parks, it depends a lot on the park. Most of the ones we have been to don?t have many children. Our biggest problems are with workers who idle huge diesel trucks for 30 minutes at 5:30 in the morning! Take a good look at the park and you can see the clientele.

Good luck.

Ya, what she said... or he in case it was Kevin and not Pam.

The Casita (or Scamp, almost the same thing) is well known, well thought of, and has been around for many years. Your salesman, to be kind, is lacking in knowledge in his own field (not unusual), if he's not heard of Casita. Casita is a "bigger name" company, but not one he sells.

Airstreams, as Pam said, are nice but expensive -- they're also heavy for their physical size.

Check out http://www.interstellarorchard.com/. she has a Casita and travels extensively. I believe she bought it used and has had it for a long time, she discusses maintenance and everything in her posts. Agreed with the others the dealer sounds like he doesn't know anything or is just trying to make a sale.

RV parks depend...try and avoid anywhere that has a playground or kids activities if you don't want children around. The 55+ group can be just as rowdy as the 20s/30s group but most everyone in RV parks tries to be respectful. Worst case you can always leave.

You would probably maybe be okay with 3800#s...but it really depends on where you plan to go. Mountains? Desert with high cross winds? Probably not the best idea. If you can afford to go bigger you may find the ride is much better and the drive less stressful. Plus if you ever want to upgrade your camper you can.

I think that there are lot of Casita owners.  I remember seeing a Casita Rally just west of Quartzsite with those little trailers all over the place.  They look like they are compact, efficient, and well designed.  I am sure that they must have a Forum or website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom