Need Expertise on Small RV's Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your local dealer has not heard of Casita's you need to find another dealer.  Casita's are sold factory direct from their factory in Texas, they are also widely available on the used market, and have been built for about 35 years.  Scamp is another very similar design fiberglass Trailer built in Minnesota.  A quick search on RVTrader shows 21 used Casita's listed at the moment nationwide and 2 Scamp's listed.  Scamp has been around longer than Casita, with production starting in the early 1970's, by 1975 they were building over 500 13 ft trailers per year though they had some major production issues 10 years ago after a major fire at their factory, but they seem to be mostly back now.  I have no idea on the production numbers for Casita's but I tend to see more of them around than Scamps, though I do live only a couple of hundred miles from their factory.

As said, but I'll say a different way.....How do you know an RV salesman/dealer is lying?....His lips are moving. I'd run away as fast as I could from that one.

As noted above 3, 800 lb. is probably ok, but be sure that's gross weight, not empty. You do though really needcto consider getting a larger tow vehicle. Your SUV isn't really intended to tow 5, 000 lb even though the manufacturer says it can. Problems are likely with extended towing near rated maximum.

Ernie

Another thing to remember is most of the advertised weights for trailers are dry weights, meaning an empty trailer, add to that all the weight of stuff we carry around and is easy to add 1,000 - 1,500 pounds before you know it (water, propane, pots and pans, clothing, food, ....)

I just saw a teeny, tiny Airstream travel trailer being pulled by a BMW SUV. From the little I know about a Casita or Scamp, it looked to me to be on the same order. It's probably pretty expensive, but I'd never seen one before. So, that gives you another option to look at. 

Casita is NOT a small company, nor is Scamp, which is the other very small trailer manufacturer. (Ditto on the fact that all RV salesmen lie.)  There are tons of Casitas and Scamps being pulled around.  A big benefit to them is that they are two pieces of molded fiberglass (top and bottom) so are less likely to leak from the roof.  However, there is very little storage in them. 

Another blog you might want to read is RV Sue at http://rvsueandcrew.net/.  She mostly spends her time in free camping places in the desert.  She has solved the storage problem by pulling her Casita with a full-sized van that she has set up with racks for large storage bins. She also carries 30+ gallon water jugs in her van.
Tioga George, another blogger, tried pulling a tiny Scamp with a small SUV and ended up having to trade it for a Transit van, which he also uses for stuff that won't fit into the trailer.

And I agree with the others that an SUV is not the best vehicle to pull even a very small trailer.  It will not be able to control the trailer's weight very well, and you will find it swaying and being blown in the wind. Also, you would be amazed at how fast personal belongings and things like food and water will add up. 

And not to discourage you, but you do have to have a chunk of money put aside for emergency repairs and just plain things that go wrong.  I am a 74-year-old woman full-timing in a motorhome, and it seems like I am constantly having something fixed.  I worked a second job for 22 years to put away money for my retirement and plans to travel. 

A quick search shows there is an Airstream Sport that is 16 ft long, basically the same specs as a typical Casita, but nearly double the cost with an MSRP of $45,000

We have a Winnebago Winnie Drop. It's about 17' and fully loaded weighs in at 3800lbs. I used to tow it with a Nissan Quest by now have upgraded to a Nissan Frontier. The trailer is small but does have a queen size bed, full kitchen, wet bath (toilet and shower together), dinette that converts to a bed, entertainment center, outside shower and speakers. You can purchase a new one for about $15,000.

Isaac-1 said:
A quick search shows there is an Airstream Sport that is 16 ft long, basically the same specs as a typical Casita, but nearly double the cost with an MSRP of $45,000

A 2010 16' Airstream Sport has a max weight of 3500 lbs. A 16' Scamp is "Approximate weight 1750-2000" -- the closest I could find to specs. You do need to be careful of weight.

The 16 and 17 ft Casita weights are listed here, they are on a 3,500 pound axle so also have a 3,500 pound max weight http://casitatraveltrailers.com/spirit-16-17/

I saw that, but the axle is not the only thing that determines allowable weight, and I couldn't find anything that specified an empty or a max gross weight, thus my post above.

Look on rvtrader.com. There are many Casitas that are priced between $15,000 and $18,000. One older, I think 2007, was priced at $7,000.

I would expect the GVWR of a Casita to be somewhat less than 4000#. 3500# on the axle and 10%, or about 400# on the tongue. 3800# quoted by others for similar trailers sounds about right for the Casita.

My wife and I travel in a 17' Casita.  We like it , a bit cramped for 2 but everythings a tradeoff.  Small fiberglass trailers have little that can go wrong as there are no electronics to speak of, slide outs , hydraulics etc.  Most everything can be fixed by owner or by any rv repair place.  Scamps are also great.  Probably the best of them is Oliver out of Tennessee, but costlier.  They all hold their value.
Our first trailer was an Aliner (actually a Chalet, but same thing).  I really liked it.  But we retired and now take off for a few months at a time so wanted something slightly bigger.  For a single person and a dog they would be an option, were I alone I'd have kept it.  Lightweight, easy set up, no canvass or screening that other popups have, storage is easy.  Ours had a fridge, heater and sink but no bath.  Teardrops are also an option for solo travelers.

BTW, if you call Casita they'll put you in touch with the closest owner to you so you can pay a visit.

Best of luck

MN Blue Skies said:
Living FT in a Casita (with or without a dog) would drive me bonkers.

Some folks like the smallness that a Casita or a Scamp offers. Different strokes for different folks.

Oldgator73 said:
Some folks like the smallness that a Casita or a Scamp offers. Different strokes for different folks.

Gator you're right ... each to their own. I personally haven't meet a Casita or Scamp owner who wants to live in their rig full time as a permanent life style.  There are Fiberglass RV Community Forums that might be helpful to the OP if she is interested in a Casita or Scamp.  Personally if I were single I would trade in the SUV for a used 1500 RAM with a 5.7 Hemi and buy a used 21' TT with a slide.  I could comfortably enjoy living in that FT and could easily manage that set up as a single person who has no mechanical experience.  The operative words being "comfortably enjoy living in FT".  I would rely on this Forum for advice on repairs and service.

We have a friend who fulltimes in a Casita and loves it. However, he lived on a boat for many years and is used to small quarters.

Jeannine

They're not for everyone, that's for sure.  But, I've met people (couples even) that have full timed in them for years with dog (s).  You have to be willing to spend more time outside and bring a screenhouse.  We cook outside whenever possible, just easier. 

I tow with a full sized F150 as I also needed it for a boat I used to own.  An advantage to these trailers though, is that you can tow with an SUV or small pickup if its set up right.  So, tow vehicle is a lot more versatile.  I, for one, hate having to parallel park a full sized truck or fit it into tiny spaces.  17' Casita weight (biggest model)  is 2850 dry with approx. 350 lbs of tongue weight. 

We'd all agree that whatever works for you is the best.

Thank you once again to everyone! RedandSilver (I meant 3500 pounds, not feet. :) Good eye!), OBX, cadee2c ( I totally agree with your comment too, btw. Was stuck in winter out on a muddy road some years back... a call to AAA, and some fiddling while I waited got me on the go again), UTTransplant, Larry N., rvannie23, HueyPilotVN, Isaac-1, Dance Chick, Ernie n Tara, JudyJB, Oldgator73, sadixon49, Compadre, MN Blu e Skies, Jeannine... wow! So many nice people to take the time to comment and share thoughts, feedback, etc. Thank you again to all!

My apologies for the extremely slow reply to all of your helps. I am young enough to be addicted to technology by all standards, but off-the-grid enough (at least mentally) that I am far behind most. I do not even have a smartphone... at least, I do not think the cheapie that does not even access the internet is one! Perhaps boon docking, as one person mentioned, would be right for me! (No, still too chicken for that...)

Anyways, replies may be slow, but I am listening and grateful.

I hear everyone on the vehicle upgrade, and it does sound like such a good idea. The problem is that the vehicle is paid for, as was my last vehicle which I intended to keep at least ten years, but ended up trading in for the DEFINITIVE ten year vehicle.... something about saving money by keeping your vehicle for the long haul.

To do another trade in would be another massive hit, and would dip into the money that I have set aside for this probably a good deal. Also, to be a little bit on the human side, I have a weakness for this vehicle, as I like it so much, and have never had one that I feel "fits" me so well. I was happy to think that this would be it, and who knows...maybe we could roll together for many decades to come. <3  <3  <3  I really do want to keep my vehicle if at all possible....

That said, I understand that it seems to place me at a disadvantage that may not be do-able. If I did travel with a small RV, I would be in the south / southwest for awhile, but I know eventually I would want to head further up and out - Canada, Montana, etc. Or even if I did not, just knowing I had the option to do so would be important to me.

I agree with so many of you that RV dealers probably do their share of lying. I also found it odd that he had not heard of Cascita - even though I am new to this, I sort of had the impression that a number of people liked them, and felt he should be "up" on his "field" so to speak. He did not seem very friendly to me anyways....

@JudyJB, I hear you about having money aside for repairs, etc. I do have money to handle repairs, but not money to handle constant repairs, which is why I was looking for the most reliable RV. In other words, if a issue goes wrong here and there, and the bills are not massive, I can be ok. But if it is: one week something wrong, $200, three weeks later, another thing wrong, $100, a month later, anther problem, $800, two weeks later $75, and on and on, then that would be too much for me to handle. If I am shelling out thousands of dollars a year to maintain the thing, then there is no point (or possibility). What do you think?

I noted the concerns of some on the size for FT living.... yes, that would be small. My "projects" tend to keep me in place for long periods though, and I can sit in one spot for most of the day (save for reasonable exercise, etc. I don't want to turn into a couch potato!) I was hoping to use the outside a lot, as I love being outdoors to begin with...so, set up a small table and chairs outside, and go to work.

Honestly, the first time I slept in my SUV, it creeped me out worse than trying to sleep in my car. I had this luggage cover thing that was over half of my body, and just a matter of a foot or two from me. It was hot, end of summer, and I was so weirded out. I felt trapped, and wondered how I could sleep... but the next time I did it, I slept so good, and from then on out, I slept far better in that than in many beds...  the coziness of it all I came to appreciate; like being in a small cocoon, nestled away. I guess my point is, it is amazing what we as humans can adjust to. :)

Thank you all again for all of your advice and thoughts! I suppose I may have to rethink if I should get an RV or not, given a number of things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom