EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Need Expertise on Small RV's Please  (Read 1426 times)

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
Re: Need Expertise on Small RV's Please
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 07:58:24 AM »
I saw that, but the axle is not the only thing that determines allowable weight, and I couldn't find anything that specified an empty or a max gross weight, thus my post above.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
Look on rvtrader.com. There are many Casitas that are priced between $15,000 and $18,000. One older, I think 2007, was priced at $7,000.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
I would expect the GVWR of a Casita to be somewhat less than 4000#. 3500# on the axle and 10%, or about 400# on the tongue. 3800# quoted by others for similar trailers sounds about right for the Casita.
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

Compadre

• ---
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 03:51:36 PM »
My wife and I travel in a 17' Casita.  We like it , a bit cramped for 2 but everythings a tradeoff.  Small fiberglass trailers have little that can go wrong as there are no electronics to speak of, slide outs , hydraulics etc.  Most everything can be fixed by owner or by any rv repair place.  Scamps are also great.  Probably the best of them is Oliver out of Tennessee, but costlier.  They all hold their value.
Our first trailer was an Aliner (actually a Chalet, but same thing).  I really liked it.  But we retired and now take off for a few months at a time so wanted something slightly bigger.  For a single person and a dog they would be an option, were I alone I'd have kept it.  Lightweight, easy set up, no canvass or screening that other popups have, storage is easy.  Ours had a fridge, heater and sink but no bath.  Teardrops are also an option for solo travelers.

BTW, if you call Casita they'll put you in touch with the closest owner to you so you can pay a visit.

Best of luck

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »
Living FT in a Casita (with or without a dog) would drive me bonkers.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:38:11 PM by MN Blue Skies »
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »
Living FT in a Casita (with or without a dog) would drive me bonkers.

Some folks like the smallness that a Casita or a Scamp offers. Different strokes for different folks.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 08:43:23 PM »
Some folks like the smallness that a Casita or a Scamp offers. Different strokes for different folks.

Gator you're right ... each to their own. I personally haven't meet a Casita or Scamp owner who wants to live in their rig full time as a permanent life style.  There are Fiberglass RV Community Forums that might be helpful to the OP if she is interested in a Casita or Scamp.  Personally if I were single I would trade in the SUV for a used 1500 RAM with a 5.7 Hemi and buy a used 21' TT with a slide.  I could comfortably enjoy living in that FT and could easily manage that set up as a single person who has no mechanical experience.  The operative words being "comfortably enjoy living in FT".  I would rely on this Forum for advice on repairs and service.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:22:56 PM by MN Blue Skies »
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

Jeannine

• ---
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 08:02:28 AM »
We have a friend who fulltimes in a Casita and loves it. However, he lived on a boat for many years and is used to small quarters.

Jeannine
2009 HitchHiker 37CKRD
2014 RAM 3500

Compadre

• ---
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 01:48:38 PM »
They're not for everyone, that's for sure.  But, I've met people (couples even) that have full timed in them for years with dog (s).  You have to be willing to spend more time outside and bring a screenhouse.   We cook outside whenever possible, just easier. 

I tow with a full sized F150 as I also needed it for a boat I used to own.  An advantage to these trailers though, is that you can tow with an SUV or small pickup if its set up right.  So, tow vehicle is a lot more versatile.  I, for one, hate having to parallel park a full sized truck or fit it into tiny spaces.  17' Casita weight (biggest model)  is 2850 dry with approx. 350 lbs of tongue weight. 

We'd all agree that whatever works for you is the best.

TravelGirl

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 03:30:44 PM »
Thank you once again to everyone! RedandSilver (I meant 3500 pounds, not feet. :-) Good eye!), OBX, cadee2c ( I totally agree with your comment too, btw. Was stuck in winter out on a muddy road some years back... a call to AAA, and some fiddling while I waited got me on the go again), UTTransplant, Larry N., rvannie23, HueyPilotVN, Isaac-1, Dance Chick, Ernie n Tara, JudyJB, Oldgator73, sadixon49, Compadre, MN Blu e Skies, Jeannine... wow! So many nice people to take the time to comment and share thoughts, feedback, etc. Thank you again to all!

My apologies for the extremely slow reply to all of your helps. I am young enough to be addicted to technology by all standards, but off-the-grid enough (at least mentally) that I am far behind most. I do not even have a smartphone... at least, I do not think the cheapie that does not even access the internet is one! Perhaps boon docking, as one person mentioned, would be right for me! (No, still too chicken for that...)

Anyways, replies may be slow, but I am listening and grateful.

I hear everyone on the vehicle upgrade, and it does sound like such a good idea. The problem is that the vehicle is paid for, as was my last vehicle which I intended to keep at least ten years, but ended up trading in for the DEFINITIVE ten year vehicle.... something about saving money by keeping your vehicle for the long haul.

To do another trade in would be another massive hit, and would dip into the money that I have set aside for this probably a good deal. Also, to be a little bit on the human side, I have a weakness for this vehicle, as I like it so much, and have never had one that I feel "fits" me so well. I was happy to think that this would be it, and who knows...maybe we could roll together for many decades to come. <3  <3  <3  I really do want to keep my vehicle if at all possible....

That said, I understand that it seems to place me at a disadvantage that may not be do-able. If I did travel with a small RV, I would be in the south / southwest for awhile, but I know eventually I would want to head further up and out - Canada, Montana, etc. Or even if I did not, just knowing I had the option to do so would be important to me.

I agree with so many of you that RV dealers probably do their share of lying. I also found it odd that he had not heard of Cascita - even though I am new to this, I sort of had the impression that a number of people liked them, and felt he should be "up" on his "field" so to speak. He did not seem very friendly to me anyways....

@JudyJB, I hear you about having money aside for repairs, etc. I do have money to handle repairs, but not money to handle constant repairs, which is why I was looking for the most reliable RV. In other words, if a issue goes wrong here and there, and the bills are not massive, I can be ok. But if it is: one week something wrong, $200, three weeks later, another thing wrong, $100, a month later, anther problem, $800, two weeks later $75, and on and on, then that would be too much for me to handle. If I am shelling out thousands of dollars a year to maintain the thing, then there is no point (or possibility). What do you think?

I noted the concerns of some on the size for FT living.... yes, that would be small. My "projects" tend to keep me in place for long periods though, and I can sit in one spot for most of the day (save for reasonable exercise, etc. I don't want to turn into a couch potato!) I was hoping to use the outside a lot, as I love being outdoors to begin with...so, set up a small table and chairs outside, and go to work.

Honestly, the first time I slept in my SUV, it creeped me out worse than trying to sleep in my car. I had this luggage cover thing that was over half of my body, and just a matter of a foot or two from me. It was hot, end of summer, and I was so weirded out. I felt trapped, and wondered how I could sleep... but the next time I did it, I slept so good, and from then on out, I slept far better in that than in many beds...  the coziness of it all I came to appreciate; like being in a small cocoon, nestled away. I guess my point is, it is amazing what we as humans can adjust to. :-)

Thank you all again for all of your advice and thoughts! I suppose I may have to rethink if I should get an RV or not, given a number of things.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:35:14 PM by TravelGirl »

GT928

• ---
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »
We almost bought a Safari Condo Alto 1743, but the wait period for a new one was nearly a year long. We didn't feel like we could wait that long at the time. They are made in Canada and weigh less than 2000 lbs. It is a little pricey, but would make a great traveler, especially for one. We were actually able to see one that was owned locally and were very impressed. He pulled it with a Subaru Outback.

http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes_F1743

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »
A bit off the wall, but have you considered outfitting an enclosed cargo trailer as an RV?  There are numerous examples available on YouTube and via a Google search, everything from simple minimalist conversions to full RV interiors.

If you aren't handy with carpentry, go to an Ikea and see what they have for small apartment living ... most stores have at least a couple of full size displays.  Then figure out how to put that inside the trailer.

This would let you customize the trailer exactly as you want it.

OutdoorFT

• ---
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2017, 04:38:39 AM »
http://www.vanlifecrisis.com/2014/12/van-life-crisis-1-week-no-skill-van.html

could use same type of thing in cargo trailer. But just to get the juices flowing..
Future Fulltimer

2011 F350 Lariat CCLB SRW
No RV yet!!

Hosted by Over The Network