Cool Seal as roof coating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

I'm looking at an older coach that the owner has used cool seal for mobile homes on the roof. Is this OK for a motorhome?

Depends on the roof material. If it is EPDM rubber, you should use the RV version of Kool Seal, called Kool Seal RV. There are several formulations of Kool Seal and some are not compatible with EPDM. If the RV has metal or fiberglass roof, any of the Kool Seal products should work. The Kool Seal RV product is compatible with all types of RV roofs, though, so its a safe bet.

So, check the label on the particular Kool Seal product before buying. Or go to the Kool Seal website first and compare the different products, looking for those listed as compatible with your type of roof.
https://www.koolseal.com/

Gary
I am aware of the pin holes in an aluminum roof and therefor a good candidate for Cool Seal...but why would you put it on a fiberglass roof ?

Wouldn't Cool Seal be more likely collect dirt and grow mold..... as apposed to a glossy smooth fiberglass roof ? 

IMO..keeping a roof clean is a large part of proper roof maintenance.

Kool Seal improves the heat reflection of the roof.  When I used it on an aluminum roofed RV it completely eliminated the radiant heat I was feeling from the ceiling on a hot day.  Plus it dampens the sound of rain hitting the roof.

It also seals around all of the roof penetration lIke vents, etc. so you don't have to caulk them seperately.

...but why would you put it on a fiberglass roof ?

The reason for doing it on fiberglass is probably more rare, but the same as any other roof, i.e. a damaged roof surface, e.g. holes, gouges or worn spots.

A secondary reason is the improved reflectivity that Lou mentioned, but that can be achieved simply by re-painting the roof. However, an elastomeric like Kook Seal is thicker and has some insulation and sound deadening qualities as well.

A tertiary reason might be cosmetic, but painting does that as well. Dicor makes a good fiberglass roof paint that does the reflective and cosmetic tasks quite well.

wijames2002 said:
How can I tell which kind of roof It has?

As I remember it the way to see if you have a TPO or EDPM roof is to look at a cut edge of the roof material inside a vent cover if it has a black layer it's EDPM, if it's all white it's TPO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom