HWT bypass on a 1999 Minnie Winnie C class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myboydallas

Hello ... I need some help.  I am trying to winterize my motor home and I am not sure how to bypass the HWT.  My plumbing/shutoff valves are located under the bed in the top right corner, under the mattress.  I had a friend help me winterize it a few weeks ago; we pulled the plug in the HWT to drain it, but the antifreeze was pouring out of the HWT and we were winterizing it.  My concern is there isn't enough antifreeze in the hot water lines to protect them.  I am not even sure if there is a bypass for the HWT?  I bought the unit used, so this is my first time winterizing it.  Can I put the plug back in and add more antifreeze by pumping it back through the lines or with the antifreeze damage my HWT?  I though maybe to rerun the antifreeze with the plug in, and then drain the HWT after I have rerun it through the lines again?

To fill the HWT, it will take about 6 (or 10) gallons of antifreeze, a real waste. For us to tell you how to handle it, please let us know how many winterizing valves you have on the output for the HWT. Could be 1 or 2 or 3. Perhaps someone with a Mini Winnie can jump in here.

For the tiny bit of water left after draining this tank, antifreeze protection in the tank itself is not needed. Once drained, if any left over water freezes, there is ample room for it to expand without damaging anything.

You didn't mention going around and running all the faucets until you get pink stuff running out of them. If you didn't do that, they are not protected along with all the pipes. Things will freeze and split. Don't forget the toilet.

HI all - I found the bypass at the HWT (a friend called to tell me where to look) ... so I turned it to bypass, but it is still pouring out of the hot water heater on the outside???  I am ready to pull my hair out  :(

Then what you found is NOT the bypass unless the valve itself is defective where the handle turns but the inside part does not. As mentioned before, you could have a single valve, a 2 valve or 3 valve system. Where was the valve you found placed?? Between hot and cold lines, in the hot or in the cold line output etc?? With a single valve system there are also check valves (one way valves) located in the tank input and output and one (or both) of them could be defective and admitting antifreeze into the tank.

Alfa38User said:
With a single valve system there are also check valves (one way valves) located in the tank input and output and one (or both) of them could be defective and admitting antifreeze into the tank.

Not all bypass systems with one valve have 2 check valves. If there s a check valve on the cold inlet (bottom pipe), that check valve allows water to go in but not out. So it would let antifreeze pass thru it. The would be a valve before it to stop the flow thru the check valve.

Is it possible you have the automatic winterizing system that i have on my 97 vectra. there are 2 switches above the microwave for  bypass and winterization. I couldn't find a bypass valve but the switches did the trick. No antifreeze in hot water heater. there is a tank to fill with antifreeze in closet passenger side near bedroom.

I have a Minnie Winnie, but it's a 2017.  HWH bypass valves are behind the fresh air return vent, under the stove.  You simply remove the two screws and vent, and there are the valves, right behind it.  I've circled it in the attached photo. 

Attachments

• HWH Bypass Location_reduced.jpg
    HWH Bypass Location_reduced.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 11
Okay, this question got me thinking, so I looked up your owner's manual.  Here's a link:  http://winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Operator1999/99MinnieWinnie.pdf

On page 7-8, you'll see that your water heater bypass valve is located "behind access panel beneath galley cabinet".

If you don't have a copy of your manual, I'd strongly recommend downloading it from the link above. 

Hope this helps.  :)

Back
Top Bottom