Fire stick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The whole purpose of a Fire Stick is to turn old dumb TVs into a modern smart TV that allows you to receive Amazon, HULU, Netflix and other such services on your TV. Those apps are built into a smart TV and can be accessed by your remote control. You still have to pay for the services no matter how you access them.

You are supposed to pay for access but there appears to be a lot of folks that aren't. I was trying to help a friend get set up to view Amazon Videos that come with his Amazon Prime membership. Looked on Ebay for a Fire Stick and almost all the ones advertised were modified (or claimed to be) so they could access pay streaming services for free. He finally bought one from Amazon so we were sure to get an unmodified one.

Clay L said:
You are supposed to pay for access but there appears to be a lot of folks that aren't. I was trying to help a friend get set up to view Amazon Videos that come with his Amazon Prime membership. Looked on Ebay for a Fire Stick and almost all the ones advertised were modified (or claimed to be) so they could access pay streaming services for free. He finally bought one from Amazon so we were sure to get an unmodified one.
I would be shocked if it really works. eBay is full of lies and bs.

Well I had to go over to eBay and see what was going on with the Fire Sticks. They are said to be 'jailbroken' but they are not. At least not jailbroken like a cell phone is. All they are doing is adding KODI and charging twenty bucks or so. KODI has some not so legal software that Amazon cracks down on occasionally.

I don't know why it is so necessary to repeat this so often but here goes:

If it seems too good to be true then it is not true.

I recently bought a Roku Express which is a similar competing product, the Roku does have some free channels such as the CW channel which has recent episodes of most of the original CW shows.  It also allows access to the popular pay services like Netflix, Amazon video, etc.

p.s. if you have Amazon Prime there are lots of videos that are included at no additional charge, this is one of the perks that goes along with Amazon prime, these days it may be the main one.

We have a FireTVstick, and there are many LEGAL free channels available. We primarily use ours to watch Amazon Prime movies and live TV using the DishAnywhere app with either of our two Dish Hopper receivers. We particularly like being able to stream programs that we recorded on the Hopper we leave at our Adirondack cottage while we were underway. My wife even uses it to watch her favorite soap opera on the bedroom TV while we were underway sometimes. Be aware though, the FireTVstick can suck down a lot of data in a pretty short time. Fortunately, we have two unlimited data plans, so that's not a concern for us.

Most of the folks that are getting illegal free programming are using a free app called "Kodi" that lets them install a number of add-ons for accessing pay channels that someone is illegally streaming, usually from off shore servers. One giveaway to the legality of a given service is if they caution you to use an anonymous VPN service to access their stream.

NY_Dutch said:
Most of the folks that are getting illegal free programming are using a free app called "Kodi" that lets them install a number of add-ons for accessing pay channels that someone is illegally streaming, usually from off shore servers. One giveaway to the legality of a given service is if they caution you to use an anonymous VPN service to access their stream.

Actually, most of what's shared using Kodi isn't the standard pay channels but a whole host of pirated movies and TV shows.  The quality of much of the pirated material is poor--some people even record full length movies on their phones in theaters and then post the amateur "production" online.  Not only is sharing of copyrighted material illegal, it can end up with you losing your internet connection if your ISP detects too much usage of known "peer sharing" sites.  The purpose for using a VPN is to fool your ISP.  Good luck to those who choose to go that route.

We use FireStickTV at home [antenna - no cable]- Usually  Amazon Prime free tv shows & movies.  Have rented a few of 'hot off the press' movies. HA! Verizon JetPack does not have enough 'STUFF' to let  us play out on the road even when wifi is avail.  JM2?

By "STUFF" do you mean data limits, or speed? As to speed, we normally stream with our AT&T Unite 4G/LTE or Mobley hotspots, but even our 3G only Verizon Jetpack works well enough for TV watching, usually with only minor buffering.

Dutch ~~

We were kinda inna 'fringe' area.  Have no idea where closest tower was.  Often had to take phone/jetpack outside & climb half way up the hill to get any service.  Speed??? how does 28 sound ~ sometimes less.  At least I could pay my bills. :D

Yeah, I can see where that would put a crimp in things! We have a Maximum Signal "Max Amp RV" cell booster/repeater installed in our coach, and in the year or so we've used it, we've yet to be any place where we didn't get a signal that supported streaming, albeit occasionally at a lower resolution than usual, even in some areas where others had no signal at all. I do remember the times before though, when we almost had to resort to climbing tall trees just to get any signal at all.

Or front TV needs a firestick not so smart but the rear does not need a firestick as far as Kodi goes you really need high speed internet. If you are prime member many shows there and Netflix though sons account. Jet pack need at least 3 bars for good broadcast. Stronger the wifi the better.

It only takes a couple of people streaming in an RV park with good wifi to completely suck up all the bandwidth.  Cellular data is also shared and suffers the same problem.  I don't even attempt to stream anything.

Netflix (and others) support downloading content for viewing later.  No streaming required.

There is nothing illegal about Kodi.  The largest collections of addons is at TVAddons.com.  They do not allow any illegal addons in their library.  Get them from there and you're OK.

8Muddypaws said:
The largest collections of addons is at TVAddons.com.  They do not allow any illegal addons in their library.  Get them from there and you're OK.

Make that TVAddons.co (no 'm'). Apparently they lost the ".com" domain, but I don't know the details. The repository needs to be reinstalled to automatically get updates...

Back
Top Bottom