Fire stick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No more illegal than a DVR or VCR.  A xerox machine.  A printing press.  A high quality inkjet printer.  A disk copying machine.  DVD cloning software.  Yet all of those things can be used illegally too.

I have been using Amazon Firestick for over a year. To surf the web privately, I use VPN for Amazon Fire Stick. By the way, for more convenience I installed some great apps and now I'm getting more TV than I could ever watch. Latest films, most box sets and multiple sports channels and loads more. Very impressive and gives me much freedom.

(Mod edit: removed commercial link)

At home we have a Smart TV in the bedroom which streams Amazon, Netflix, Hulu and YouTube. Live TV is provided by Verizon. The other two TV?s are are Verizon only. With Verizon we get a channel for Netflix and YouTube. I have noticed YouTube offers a live TV service for a fee. When we are out in the RV the only TV we watch is the occasional DVD.

There's a lot of totally free legal content available with various apps, and there is also a lot of copyright violating illegal content available. A key giveaway is any app site that recommends using a VPN to stream content to ostensibly "protect your privacy", when the truth is they are recommending a VPN to "protect your piracy" of the content. I have many apps installed on my Firestick that allow me to legally stream both on demand and live content from most major and "cable" networks, but it's all legal and either has a fee, is included with another paid service, or offers only public domain or otherwise licensed content. The free Pluto streaming service app is a good example of the the last item with advertiser supported licensed and public domain content.

If looking for truly free content that is legal, there is some out there for the various devices:

CW and CW Seed both have shows with traditional style advertising breaks inserted for free

There is also some weather and news content for free, though the news tends to be international (I think Sky news from the UK is free)

On the Roku there is the Roku channel which has free content (I think is a Roku exclusive channel)

I think there are others that I have never tried like Tubi which shows movies with ads inserted much like traditional free cable tv has done for decades (TBS, USA, etc.)

The point being with a $30 one time purchase of a Roku, or Amazon Fire one can access a significant amount of legal free on demand content these days.  Certainly thousands of hours of content if you don't mind watching mostly the less prime tv content, tv shows that have been in syndication for years, older movies with ads inserted, etc.

Isaac-1 said:
The point being with a $30 one time purchase of a Roku, or Amazon Fire one can access a significant amount of legal free on demand content these days.  Certainly thousands of hours of content if you don't mind watching mostly the less prime tv content, tv shows that have been in syndication for years, older movies with ads inserted, etc.

In addition, if one doesn't mind small fees (~$5/mo) there are other streaming options beyond just Netflix, Hulu, Prime and YouTube.  My wife and I like to watch mysteries and cop shows from around the world.  We subscribe to both Acorn and Britbox both of which feature shows from the UK, Australia and New Zealand along with some from other countries. Both are $5/mo with no contracts so you can turn them on and off as you wish.

A jailbroke firestick allows you to connect to all the services for free.....  toalk to any highschool kid forinfo..
Or better, if u have a smart TV.  use KODI its free it gives you thousands of movies and TV stations ... u need a wifi connection....

for TV Im experimenting Mirroring my phone to the TV.  I have unlimited data, BUT using the phone as a hotspot you I can only stream 15 gigs and then they slow it
down to where its useless... Mirroring the phone to a smart TV I can watch pretty much anything I want for free.....

rvwanderer1 said:
A jailbroke firestick allows you to connect to all the services for free.....  toalk to any highschool kid forinfo..
Or better, if u have a smart TV.  use KODI its free it gives you thousands of movies and TV stations ... u need a wifi connection....

With all due respect, jailbraking a device in order to obtain free video from streaming services is legally defined as "theft of service".  I'm not saying you are likely to get caught, but it's definitely not legal.

With respect to Kodi, the program itself is totally legal, but when you add "packs" that enable sharing of copyrighted material from pirating sites, once again that violates the law and the terms of service of your ISP (your internet provider).  It's my understanding that heavy use of Kodi can result in adverse action being taken against you by your ISP.

Also there is a way to use a fire stick and mirror your phone to the TV , so if you have xfinity at home you can watch your favorite channels.
Other cable companies also allow you to watch their channel while away.

or abc cbs and nbc all have sites where you can watch their content for free. which you would mirror thru your phone. So if you have unlimited usage on the phone your all set.  BUT if you use your phone as a hot spot ,your provider still gives unimited service but they throttle, or slow the service so u cant watch TV etc.

I'm sitting here watching totally free programming using the free Pluto TV app installed on our FireTVstick using our AT&T hotspot's unlimited data plan with no throttling. Pluto offers a variety of movies, TV programs, news, sports, music, and is just one of the many free streaming apps I have installed. I also have the big four networks and a number of "cable" channel apps, most included free with our Dish subscription, and the DishAnywhere app of course, that streams programming and recordings from either of our two Hoppers. And all are completely legal...

Back
Top Bottom