Trailer towing: Nissan Titan XD vs Ford F150 maximum towing package

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VallAndMo

Hello everyone,

Just saw this interesting comparison on a tough towing job (pulling a 10k lb bump trailer over a mountain pass) between the Nissan Titan XD and the Ford F150 maximum towing package:

http://www.tfltruck.com/2017/10/2018-ford-f150-nissan-titan-xd-towing-video/

As expected (this XD model is specifically designed for "almost" 3/4-ton towing), the Nissan fares better in stability and hill braking control, but the Ford does it faster and with power to spare. Both score the same fuel economy (a rather bad 3 MPG).

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Howdy Pugapooh,

Pugapooh said:
That video is almost ten minutes long.  No thanks.

Of course, you are welcome to not watching it ;-)

I would choose stability and braking control.

On that we're on the same boat. Although I question the wisdom on trying to pull such a load with anything short of a 3/4-ton truck, "maximum towing" package or not.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

I've often wondered if the guys that make these videos look at the carrying ability (payload) of these trucks, and the GCWR.

I looked at the Nissan Cummins when first came out, the interior is just beautiful i was soooooo impressed - but then i looked at payload and its still a 1/2ton with a 1300lb +\- pay

So i said to myself whats the point with myself at 225 my gf at 150 and 3 dogs 240 (80) ea im already at 50% of pay add in a tool box and firewood and im done forget the trailer lol

And i agree the producers need to look at pay because they are doing the public a huge disservice maybe someone should inform them - i vote for Gordon (aka Preacher )?

When we were shopping for our 5th wheel I bought a 1 ton Chevy crew cab with a diesel. This was in 1998. We ended up calling it our CPS truck (Can't Pull S&@t). We picked out our 5th wheel and the dealer said we would have to sign a waiver before they would sell us the RV. So I started doing research (no computer) and ended up trading the Chevy for a Dodge 3/4 ton single cab 4x2 with the Cummins diesel 5 speed manual with a Dana 80 rear end. The CCC was 3900 lbs. More than enough for what we carried plus the pin weight of the 5er. I hade a Jake Brake installed by Cummins. We traveled all over the country, both coasts plus north through S. Dakota and as South as Florida. Never had a problem pulling on flat ground or up and steep grades. It stopped extremely well too.

SeilerBird said:
Why do so many people want to use an undersized truck to pull their trailer? Do they not care about safety?

I think it has to do with cost. Trucks are so freaking expensive these days that folks are trying to save money where they can. I know, in the long run they will actually save money by purchasing the correct truck in the first place. Like I said in my earlier post, our RV dealer said we had to sign a waiver if we wanted to use the undersized Chevy truck. I think most of the dealers now days don't really care as long as they can sell a unit.

SeilerBird said:
Why do so many people want to use an undersized truck to pull their trailer? Do they not care about safety?

I think another part is ignorance. Folks see the commercials where a truck is pulling an incredible load, then they look at the brochure's numbers. From that they feel like they can tow anything they want. A lot of salesmen, both trailer and tow vehicle, don't help the matter either.

Simply lack of education in trucks and towing. They know about cost and mpg, and "max tow capacity" seems easy to comprehend, but few are knowledgeable enough to understand the ramifications of CCC and GCWR. And few sales people, truck and RV, are knowledgeable either.

Intellectual laziness is part of it as well. Most people desire simple answers, even when the question is inherently complex. "Just gimme the answer and don't bother me with all that tech trash!".  :mad:

Every other commercial aired during "male" oriented tv is a truck ad!  And it's all about how strong it is.  So macho it's ridiculous.  I think a lot of the problem is the ads and just general ignorance.  That General ignorance seems pretty popular anymore.?

This is what I tow my Winnie Drop with. After all it does have a fully loaded trailer weight of 3800lbs:

http://lscx.net/770_Toter_5er_2bikes_.jpg

Oldgator73 said:
This is what I tow my Winnie Drop with. After all it does have a fully loaded trailer weight of 3800lbs:

http://lscx.net/770_Toter_5er_2bikes_.jpg

Looks like you upgraded the winnie, too!

I agree with kd, Gary, Steve and Pug.

The ads claim how strong their trucks CAN BE, and how much SOME of their trucks can tow.  They ignore the fact that VERY FEW of their trucks live up to that standard.  Ram has a unique grill on their top trim Limited model, which is almost always the one in the commercial.  The truck you see (Limited)  will NOT meet ANY of those specs they claim!!

Trucks are touted as tough vehicles that can do anything.  Salesmen do little to dispute the idea.  Many do not know the trucks real limits, and do not want to know.  They want to sell trucks.  Many RV salesmen are as bad.

While it would be tough to identify outright lies in the ads (there is always unreadable small print) it is certainly a case of misinformation and misrepresentation.

Short of federal intervention, I doubt anything will change, and the truck industry has VERY well funded lobbyists.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom