Water drops on dash after heavy rain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majicchuck

The past two days it has been raining pretty hard. Today, I noticed a few drops of water on my dash. I've had the coach for less than a month.  The roof is in good shape (was resealed prior to purchase). Water is not coming directly down windshield on dash but rather coming from base of tv compartment. Was thinking that water is coming in through windshield and that it is time to have windshield resealed. I did have something similar done to my previous 93 Bounder. Have others had this problem? Am I missing something.

Chuck

Perhaps leaking around base of tv antenna. A good caulking might cure your problem.

Bill

Or even the amber lights around the top front of the motorhome.  If the water is dripping down the inside of the windshield then you need to check the caulking outside the top of the glass.  But it sounds like it's elsewhere so the exterior lights or TV antenna are a good bet.

ArdraF

Also check the front clearance lights for a cracked lens or dried out cracked gasket. Leaks there are often mistaken for windshield leaks because of where the water finally makes an appearance. Windshield seal leaks are not all that common, but clearance light leaks in older units are.

ArdraF said:
Or even the amber lights around the top front of the motorhome.  If the water is dripping down the inside of the windshield then you need to check the caulking outside the top of the glass.  But it sounds like it's elsewhere so the exterior lights or TV antenna are a good bet.

ArdraF

Yes, check this, very common leak source

majicchuck, keep us informed as to what you find out. Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill

Ditto on the amber lights. I just bought a 2017 F250 with amber lights and first heavy rain I had water leaking into my cup holders. Took it back and they said 2 rubber seals looks to be defective, replaced them and have had no leaks since.

billwild said:
Perhaps leaking around base of tv antenna. A good caulking might cure your problem.

Bill

The rain continues. Bill, I did not see any gaps/cracks in the caulking around the antenna. It seems pretty solid.

Thanks,
Chuck

ArdraF said:

ArdraF

Good point. I need to check clearance lights again. While it rained most of today, there was no water on dash. Definitely will get back on roof when the rain stops.

Chuck

NY_Dutch said:
Also check the front clearance lights for a cracked lens or dried out cracked gasket. Leaks there are often mistaken for windshield leaks because of where the water finally makes an appearance. Windshield seal leaks are not all that common, but clearance light leaks in older units are.

On it!  :) Definitely need to check the lens. It seems like water is coming from this area. The mystery continues...

Chuck

The most common marker lights needs to be caulked around every mating surface and the screw that holds the lenses on.

I just replaced my lights and caulked everything myself.  It's about a 15 minute job.

8Muddypaws said:
The most common marker lights needs to be caulked around every mating surface and the screw that holds the lenses on.

I just replaced my lights and caulked everything myself.  It's about a 15 minute job.

Thanks 8Muddypaws. It looks like the rain is not going to clear up until Saturday. Plan to attack this on the weekend before I winterize the coach.

Chuck

billwild said:
majicchuck, keep us informed as to what you find out. Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill

Finally a day with no rain... I used some Dicor sealant to caulk around the clearance lights. The old silicone was peeling away from several spots. So hopefully this addresses my issue.

Chuck

Back
Top Bottom