EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Water drops on dash after heavy rain  (Read 523 times)

majicchuck

• ---
Water drops on dash after heavy rain
« on: October 29, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
The past two days it has been raining pretty hard. Today, I noticed a few drops of water on my dash. I've had the coach for less than a month.  The roof is in good shape (was resealed prior to purchase). Water is not coming directly down windshield on dash but rather coming from base of tv compartment. Was thinking that water is coming in through windshield and that it is time to have windshield resealed. I did have something similar done to my previous 93 Bounder. Have others had this problem? Am I missing something.

Chuck
Chuck
----------
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N (Carolina)

donn

• ---
Re: Water drops on dash after heavy rain
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »
Is this a Winebago hy any chance?

majicchuck

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 01:44:50 PM »
No a 05 Fleetwood Bounder 38N.
Chuck
----------

billwild

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
Perhaps leaking around base of tv antenna. A good caulking might cure your problem.

Bill

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 03:53:08 PM »
Or even the amber lights around the top front of the motorhome.  If the water is dripping down the inside of the windshield then you need to check the caulking outside the top of the glass.  But it sounds like it's elsewhere so the exterior lights or TV antenna are a good bet.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 03:53:32 PM »
Also check the front clearance lights for a cracked lens or dried out cracked gasket. Leaks there are often mistaken for windshield leaks because of where the water finally makes an appearance. Windshield seal leaks are not all that common, but clearance light leaks in older units are.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Dvan

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 06:32:46 PM »
Or even the amber lights around the top front of the motorhome.  If the water is dripping down the inside of the windshield then you need to check the caulking outside the top of the glass.  But it sounds like it's elsewhere so the exterior lights or TV antenna are a good bet.

ArdraF

Yes, check this, very common leak source
Daryll & Erin
2013 Thor Damon Daybreak 34BD bunkhouse
Parker, Colorado

1988 Jeep Wrangler toad with Stowmaster 5000 tow bar

Permanent campsite in Redhill Forest near Fairplay, CO

billwild

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
majicchuck, keep us informed as to what you find out. Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 04:03:12 PM »
Ditto on the amber lights. I just bought a 2017 F250 with amber lights and first heavy rain I had water leaking into my cup holders. Took it back and they said 2 rubber seals looks to be defective, replaced them and have had no leaks since.
Joe & Mari from Sanatoga PA
2010 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow package(gone 7-17)
2017 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.7 turbo diesel
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl
2002 Pearl White Road King Classic
Homebase: SE PA Sanatoga I can see the Limerick Power Plant from here

majicchuck

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »
Perhaps leaking around base of tv antenna. A good caulking might cure your problem.

Bill

The rain continues. Bill, I did not see any gaps/cracks in the caulking around the antenna. It seems pretty solid.

Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck
----------

majicchuck

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »

ArdraF

Good point. I need to check clearance lights again. While it rained most of today, there was no water on dash. Definitely will get back on roof when the rain stops.

Chuck
Chuck
----------

majicchuck

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 09:03:41 PM »
Also check the front clearance lights for a cracked lens or dried out cracked gasket. Leaks there are often mistaken for windshield leaks because of where the water finally makes an appearance. Windshield seal leaks are not all that common, but clearance light leaks in older units are.

On it!  :) Definitely need to check the lens. It seems like water is coming from this area. The mystery continues...

Chuck
Chuck
----------

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 09:31:33 PM »
The most common marker lights needs to be caulked around every mating surface and the screw that holds the lenses on.

I just replaced my lights and caulked everything myself.  It's about a 15 minute job.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

majicchuck

• ---
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 08:35:24 AM »
The most common marker lights needs to be caulked around every mating surface and the screw that holds the lenses on.

I just replaced my lights and caulked everything myself.  It's about a 15 minute job.

Thanks 8Muddypaws. It looks like the rain is not going to clear up until Saturday. Plan to attack this on the weekend before I winterize the coach.

Chuck
Chuck
----------

majicchuck

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 04:53:02 PM »
majicchuck, keep us informed as to what you find out. Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill

Finally a day with no rain... I used some Dicor sealant to caulk around the clearance lights. The old silicone was peeling away from several spots. So hopefully this addresses my issue.

Chuck
Chuck
----------

Hosted by Over The Network