Diesel algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Algae will grow in diesel fuel stored for an extended time, and can clog your filter(s). If you're using the coach regularly, there's no reason to worry about it. If you intend to store for a long time, add biocide to the fuel tank. It's available under different brand names, including from marine stores - see here. I've used it on diesel boats for a number of years, but haven't worried about it on our coach which sits for several months a year.

Thanks, I'm interested in a used unit that is now 3 yrs old and wandering if I should even be concerned

I?ve had 4 diesel pickups, and two of my tractors are diesel and I never had a problem with it until this year. And that was on one of my tractors, my newest one. I consider it a fluke, and if you use your coach regularly, I totally agree with Tom, I totally wouldn?t worry about it. I have never used a biocide.

Small amounts of algae will be trapped by the primary fuel filter. If there's a lot of algae, the filter will clog and starve the engine of fuel. I always carry spare filters on the boat.

Storage in hot, humid climates increases the likelihood of algae growth.

If the engine won't start on a coach that has sat idle for a long time, a clogged fuel filter would be a suspect. Some shops offer a service to "polish" the fuel, where they'll pump your old fuel out and cycle it multiple times through a filter, changing their filter as necessary.

Actually, on the issue with my tractor was the algae actually formed in the fuel tank itself, clogging the outlet of the fuel tank before the fuel stream ever got to any filtration. But my machines can sit outside for a couple months without running (under cover) undergoing big temperature swings, and resulting condensation, inside the fuel tanks. I don?t know, but since it was episode #1 of algae in many many years of running diesels I think I will wait for a pattern to form to be concerned about it.

[quote author=Boonieman]... on the issue with my tractor was the algae actually formed in the fuel tank itself...[/quote]

Aye, it grows in the tank, but ...

... clogging the outlet of the fuel tank before the fuel stream ever got to any filtration.

Hadn't heard of that happening. Thanks for sharing.

[quote author=Rfg4retir]Thx again, yeah my guess is that it has sat for a yr now[/quote]

Depending on where it was stored, there may not be an issue. But, if you buy it and drive away, I'd have a couple of spare filters on hand. Depending on the coach/layout, it might be easy to get to the primary fuel filter. Usually, it's a Racor filter which also removes water from the fuel (there'll be a drain on the bottom of the filter to drain out the trapped water).

Adding biocide to a fuel tank that already has algae growth doesn't hurt. Similar to chlorine added to a swimming pool, you "shock" it with a higher dose (read the instructions on the container). It will kill the existing algae, but you could still experience a clogged filter from the dead stuff being trapped in the filter.

For clarification, the issue with algae getting past the filters is that it can clog the injectors ($$). But the 2-step filtration (primary and secondary filters) will usually prevent that.

starting to feel better now

If the engine starts (diesels usually start immediately, on the first or second revolution), I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd still carry a couple of spare filters.

I'd be a little concerned (not paranoid) about moisture in the fuel if it's been stored with a partially-full fuel tank. But, the "water separator" feature of the Racor filter will remove moisture/water. Just learn how to drain it from the bottom of the filter (you'll need a container to catch the water & fuel as you drain it).

Storing with a full fuel tank minimizes the possibility of moisture in the tank.

Good advice from others. Here in Florida, with its warm & humid climate, algae is more of a problem than, say, in the southwest desert or higher & drier mountain areas.

Whether you have reason to suspect algae or not, always carry spare primary filters. Changing the fuel filter is the first thing to do for any diesel performance issue, including a no-start.

If you test run it, make sure you do it under load. My tractor would start fine but the fuel line was partially restricted and the issue showed up when the engine tried to pull more fuel than the partially plugged line would allow. It was a particularly frustration troubleshooting problem. Just didn?t want you to fire it up and let it idle and call it good. ?

Good advice Boonieman; I can understand how that could happen.

I had an algae problem on my summer/fall trip.  Coach was stored in Alabama for several months.  By the time I was on the NY Turnpike it started showing up.  In southern NH had the primary filter changed and have driven 2000 miles since then with no further problem.  I will change filers before I leave again.  I have heard of it taking 3-4 filter changes to get all the crud out but I have been lucky.  Mechanics I talked to said it is a greater problem with the bio-diesel fuel. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom