If you are in California...you better fill up your fuel tanks before Wednesday.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T

TonyDtorch

As of Wednesday November 1st,  there is a new 12 cent a gallon tax on gasoline... and a 16 cent tax on diesel fuel.

This is the first of 3 tax increases for a total of 62 cents a gallon.

And our roads will benefit  ???  I seem to recall similar gas tax increases and promised road improvements in the 80's; Or am I hallucinating?

I'm glad I'm not in CA.

Our taxes went up Jan 1 of this year like 18-20 cents per gallon - claiming it was for road repairs - which
I haven't seen much of any so far. 

Maybe it's their way of making sure electric cars happen sooner rather than later.

I'm sure part of the tax revenue will be used for the administrative costs of a new committee that insures the money gets spent properly. 

Just look how the state lottery has helped our schools to become so much better..... ???

Not to worry...That money will be added into our California State general fund.

That way it stays safe until it can be used to improve our highways...and the interest earned will help CALPERS stay funded for a while longer.

(...and poof! ..it's all gone. )

Years ago when Arnold Schwarzenegger was governor he said he was going to fix highway 99 from Bakersfield to Sacramento. And he did. It is pretty much completed now and in pretty good shape.

We've traveled the length of it this past few months and, with the exception of a few small sections that are being worked on, I'm happy with it.

OH NO!  We in PA were number 1 in fuel taxes, does this mean we will fall to second place?

Our taxes are slated to rise every year for the foreseeable future, so we might regain the lead.

I bought just 1/2 tank in PA since the big increase last January, and I plan to buy as much of everything out of state for years to come.  PA, you?re fired.

regular gas around me is $2.70 gal.      after Nov. 1st  .. it'll be near $2.85 a gallon.

I truly wish that such a beautiful state did not have so many problems and detractors. We have made two trips through the state and worked for our site for five months. But, we probably won't go back. And, I will miss it.

Gas prices in Delaware have been all over the place. Some days $2.35. The next day down to $2.19 and then back up to $2.22. Sure, we may have cheaper gas in Delaware but then again you have to live in Delaware to really enjoy it. We don't have a sales tax so it is not uncommon to see vehicles from PA, MD, NJ at Costco, Sam's and other shooting centers. I think the only advantage to living here is maybe some cheaper gas and no sales tax.

:mad: I'm in mid tennessee and the price of diesel rose $.04 over the weekend to $2.68.9. Before the hurricanes it was $2.16.9 ::) I guess were paying for California too!  :-[ The price of groceries will follow, then clothes, hard goods and anything else trucked in I imagine.

So there goes the big 2% increase in my SS and pension check!! You never come out ahead of the Federal and State governments! But heck were FREE! LOL!

TonyDtorch said:
As of Wednesday November 1st,  there is a new 12 cent a gallon tax on gasoline... and a 16 cent tax on diesel fuel.

Thanks for the reminder.  I had totally forgotten about this. Sure hope to see some of the road repairs from this tax that are well overdue.

Irover said:
:mad: I'm in mid tennessee and the price of diesel rose $.04 over the weekend to $2.68.9. Before the hurricanes it was $2.16.9 ::) I guess were paying for California too!  :-[ The price of groceries will follow, then clothes, hard goods and anything else trucked in I imagine.

So there goes the big 2% increase in my SS and pension check!! You never come out ahead of the Federal and State governments! But heck were FREE! LOL!

Where in Mid Tennessee are you? We spent 6 months in Smithville when I was working for a gas pipeline inspection company. We were across the street from a state park. Enjoyed Tennessee but not so much Smithville.

TonyDtorch said:

Can't find anything that supports a 62 cents a gallon increase.  Are you saying the total tax will increase to 62 cents or increase by 62 cents. 

An increased registration fee takes place on January 1, 2018.  It will be based on vehicle value and range from $25.00 a year for vehicles valued less than $5,000 to $175.00 a year for vehicles valued at $60,000 and more.

Personally I think we should do what London does and tax vehicles for driving into the city.  Only in our case, we should tax certain out-of-state drivers who drive into California.  However, only those certain drivers who bad mouth the State every time they can.   

garyb1st said:
Personally I think we should do what London does and tax vehicles for driving into the city. 

We lived in Cambridge UK for several years and for some odd reason on a few occasions I drove into London. You could go online and register your plate number and upon returning home go back online and pay the fee. Problem the system never worked. I called their office and was told if there was no fee attached to my plate number not to worry about it.
There are places I would pay to drive to in California, like the Redwood Forest. One of the most beautiful places on earth.

Californians are bracing for the first phase of the SB-1 gas tax and vehicle registration hikes, which could help boost prices by up to 29 cents per gallon over the next 32 months.

SB-1 will begin with a 12 cent per gallon tax increase on November 1. That works out to a brutal annual cost of about $1,200 per California family. But the full increase will not initially be felt, because Nov. 1 is also the date the  seasonal surcharge for California?s reformulated gasoline summer blend, which amounts to several extra cents per gallon, rolls off.

Moreover, SB-1?s total family pain may be much higher than 12 cents, over time, thanks to the following deadlines: 1) a value-based transportation improvement registration fee kicks in January 1, 2018; 2) the price-based excise tax resets on July 1, 2019; and 3) a new zero emissions vehicle fee begins on July 1, 2020.

SB1 was estimated to have the same financial impact as a 62 cent a gallon tax.

A one party government gets expensive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom